Moving To Orlando

A neighbor that I see only every once in a while works in a call center for a company called Convergys over in north Orlando, which was scheduled to open another call center over off of John Young, somewhere by that WalMart. I think that is part of MetroWest in Orlando.
No...MW doesn't extend to that side of Kirkman Road. The Walmart is in MW but JYP is no where near it.

No...MW doesn't extend to that side of Kirkman Road. The Walmart is in MW but JYP is no where near it.

There are so many WalMart stores around Orlando that I get them confused. I just know that the 57 bus line down John Young Parkway heads over toward the WalMart that I believe that I am thinking of. I don't get around much though unless I am going to work.

While the land area called "MetroWest" seems to be quite large, I don't trust realtors or rental agents at all when it comes to neighborhood boundaries. I have lived in Orlando only since 2011, living in a part of town misrepresented as "Millenia", even by signs at the entrances to apartment complexes. I assure you that the shopkeepers at the expensive stores at the Mall of Millenia would prefer that their customers not know that my neighborhood exists.

Baldwin, Thornton Park, dr Phillips, College Park , and windimere are nice, safe areas. Avoid places off of OBT /the Pine Hills area.

One of the reasons I moved to Orlando is because I love WDW so much! Enjoy! It is very nice to be able to zip to the Parks for a short visit whenever you want to. :)

I am not 20 something - closer to retirement - liking the country, quiet places - but I have spent a lot of time looking around Orlando. I like the Disney backwoods, Windermere, and Winter Garden - but it is somewhat remote. I also like Hunter's Creek and Celebration is unique though may be not for me. Clermont and Ocooee also have some nice areas - but may be 30 minutes from WDW. North side - Altamonte Springs has a nice community feel with Crane's Roost park - people jogging, concerts every now and again - a nice apartment complex - outside of the park area may be not as nice. Longwood is not far from there may be nicer. Lake Mary is a nice area but far from WDW.

For 20 somethings - I know there are lost of club areas downtown - Church Street - I think Dr. Phillips might be more convenient to downtown.

Good luck with your move!!pixiedust:

Is the pay in the area really as bad as in hearing? I mean, with my experience min I can take is about 17 an hour. I always hear its min wage or nothing around Orlando

In a word, yes--pay is that bad. Obviously some jobs pay more than minimum wage, but overall pay rates are lower here than other parts of Florida and much lower than the northeast. Of course, there is no state income tax, but even then probably not enough to offset the difference.

In a word, yes--pay is that bad. Obviously some jobs pay more than minimum wage, but overall pay rates are lower here than other parts of Florida and much lower than the northeast. Of course, there is no state income tax, but even then probably not enough to offset the difference.

With my apologies to the thread-starter for the change of subject, I am going to have to second this view.

I have done a little to help out the local homeless population. It is heartbreaking to see those who have just given up, and yet even educated ones have because this means that they can have no bills. Meanwhile rents have reached levels that contradict the assumption that things are cheaper in the south so many people live in groups in order to pay the rent. Once even one roommate in the financially strapped group fails to make his or her share of the rent, they all go down like the Titanic. So even people who always managed to make their share of the rent have evictions on their records. Then businesses need workers at times the workers need to be at the facilities for the homeless in order to eat or get a bed while a hotel room will cost more per night than the worker can make in a shift.

Now to get back to the original question asked by our young chef here, I was taken once to an area called "Restaurant Row". Does anyone here live in that area and know what I am talking about? I believe that that was off of Sand Lake Road, but it was quite a walk back to International Drive. What is the housing situation like around there for our 20-something relocater?

SanFranciscan said:
With my apologies to the thread-starter for the change of subject, I am going to have to second this view.

I have done a little to help out the local homeless population. It is heartbreaking to see those who have just given up, and yet even educated ones have because this means that they can have no bills. Meanwhile rents have reached levels that contradict the assumption that things are cheaper in the south so many people live in groups in order to pay the rent. Once even one roommate in the financially strapped group fails to make his or her share of the rent, they all go down like the Titanic. So even people who always managed to make their share of the rent have evictions on their records. Then businesses need workers at times the workers need to be at the facilities for the homeless in order to eat or get a bed while a hotel room will cost more per night than the worker can make in a shift.

Now to get back to the original question asked by our young chef here, I was taken once to an area called "Restaurant Row". Does anyone here live in that area and know what I am talking about? I believe that that was off of Sand Lake Road, but it was quite a walk back to International Drive. What is the housing situation like around there for our 20-something relocater?

That's the Dr. Phillips area. It's very nice, but pricey.

Hopping on the wagon here. I'm also moving to Orlando in early April. There are four of us going, so I think we'll be good. It's me and my wife, my brother, and a friend of ours. At least two of us will be transferring jobs to the area, and will be making above minimum wage. And the other two have to potential to transfer as well.

We are actually moving to the Hunters Creek area. Our move in date is set for April 8th. I haven't seen the place, but I heard it's a nice area, with the downside of having quite a bit of traffic.

Since we're on the topic of moving to Orlando, what's the deal with the AP payment plan? I think we are all going to get some sort of AP. What do you need to actually purchase the voucher? A FL drivers license? An address? How does everyone feel about the payment plan option?

I'm on the payment plan right now. I kinda like it. Only real downside is that you have to make sure what plan you want. I have the secon dough eat one, I wanted to upgrade but couldn't since I'm in the plan.

You need either a FL drivers license or 2 utility/bank statement with a FL addy on it.

jagfanjosh3252 said:
I'm on the payment plan right now. I kinda like it. Only real downside is that you have to make sure what plan you want. I have the secon dough eat one, I wanted to upgrade but couldn't since I'm in the plan.

You need either a FL drivers license or 2 utility/bank statement with a FL addy on it.

Just so you know you can upgrade an AP on the payment plan. You just have to pay the difference in a lump sum because the monthly contract can't be changed. DH and I both upgraded last summer.

You sure? I went a few weeks ago and tried Guest Relations in DTD and MK and they both said te same thing. I couldn't.

jagfanjosh3252 said:
You sure? I went a few weeks ago and tried Guest Relations in DTD and MK and they both said te same thing. I couldn't.

As of last summer, yes. Both DH and I upgraded to the premium. I did mine about a month after purchase and DH did his about two months after purchase.

Check the stickie on the attractions and strategies about tickets.

But you do have to pay the difference right then and there. I think the difference on mine last year was a little over $120. My monthly payments do not change though.

I moved here for WDW as well nearly 5 years ago.

I started out living at Sabal Palms, which is right in the middle of CP housing. Pricing is of course higher being so close to Disney, but I love the location.

I was there a year then purchased a house just north of MK.

I recommend checking out the Equity Apartments; they've got a lot of options in the Orlando area.

I never considered Kissimmee or Davenport because they are too far away for me.

Is the pay in the area really as bad as in hearing? I mean, with my experience min I can take is about 17 an hour. I always hear its min wage or nothing around Orlando

If you start out working in the parks - you'll likely start making $7.5-$10 depending on the role.

While the land area called "MetroWest" seems to be quite large, I don't trust realtors or rental agents at all when it comes to neighborhood boundaries. I have lived in Orlando only since 2011, living in a part of town misrepresented as "Millenia", even by signs at the entrances to apartment complexes. I assure you that the shopkeepers at the expensive stores at the Mall of Millenia would prefer that their customers not know that my neighborhood exists.
I know what you mean and especially in your part of town. Because they have the fancy, schmancy mall in the area, they think it will help attract people.

Baldwin, Thornton Park, dr Phillips, College Park , and windimere are nice, safe areas. Avoid places off of OBT /the Pine Hills area.
Not all areas of Pine Hills are bad. I live in Pine Hills on the northern edge and there is rarely any problem in my neighborhood. Some areas yes...but not all. College Park had all those robberies a few months ago so that's not an area I would move to.

But you do have to pay the difference right then and there. I think the difference on mine last year was a little over $120. My monthly payments do not change though.
That's the way Universal does it too. If you're on the payment plan, you would have to pay it off and then you can upgrade. I've never used the payment plan for annual passes and probably won't start. It's easier to pay it once and be done with it.

I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and that includes Water Sewer and pest control. What do you think is it legit?

Metro West said:
I know what you mean and especially in your part of town. Because they have the fancy, schmancy mall in the area, they think it will help attract people.

Not all areas of Pine Hills are bad. I live in Pine Hills on the northern edge and there is rarely any problem in my neighborhood. Some areas yes...but not all. College Park had all those robberies a few months ago so that's not an area I would move to.

That's the way Universal does it too. If you're on the payment plan, you would have to pay it off and then you can upgrade. I've never used the payment plan for annual passes and probably won't start. It's easier to pay it once and be done with it.

I'm not saying it's not that way right now, but last year with Disney you didn't have to pay it off in order to upgrade. You just had to pay in a lump sum the difference between the regular pass (or regular renewal if yours was a renewal) and the premium or premium renewal. Then you still pay monthly the same amount you paid before.

So my renewal was broken into payments of about $31. I paid in a lump sum the $120 difference between the renewal regular price and renewal premium price a little over a month after renewing. My payments of about $31 continue.

This may have changed since last June but I did this with both of our passes.

I'm not saying it's not that way right now, but last year with Disney you didn't have to pay it off in order to upgrade. You just had to pay in a lump sum the difference between the regular pass (or regular renewal if yours was a renewal) and the premium or premium renewal. Then you still pay monthly the same amount you paid before.

So my renewal was broken into payments of about $31. I paid in a lump sum the $120 difference between the renewal regular price and renewal premium price a little over a month after renewing. My payments of about $31 continue.

This may have changed since last June but I did this with both of our passes.
Oh OK...I gotcha now.

not moving for a few years.

so won't be joining you and the others in Florida - yet.

staying here until my mother dies - she is in an excellent nursing home - but kept getting road blocks for my move.

so brought everything back to Ala -- and that costs me - have decided it is for the best to wait.

hoping once I can move can still afford close to WDW - of course then close will be an hour away instead of 30 minutes.

definitely going for a house - almost brought a condo in Windermere - it was very reasonable priced - but the maintence fees were $600 a month and it was only a 1-bedroom. the rest of Windermere the house seem to start at $375,000 and just go up, up, up....

anyway hoping to be in Florida by 2018!

definitely going for a house - almost brought a condo in Windermere - it was very reasonable priced - but the maintence fees were $600 a month and it was only a 1-bedroom. the rest of Windermere the house seem to start at $375,000 and just go up, up, up....

anyway hoping to be in Florida by 2018!
Yup...Windermere is not an area that you'd want to move to if you are on a budget. ;)

Some of those communities are really expensive. Balmoral, Lake Down Crest, Windermere Ridge and Westover Ridge all are very nice!

Sand Lake Road, near I-Drive. Any 20-something sous chef working there would want to live in the Westwood Blvd. area, as I mentioned above. 10 - 15 minute drive, reasonable rents, safe, plenty of young people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter