Mulch Mania!

Morning tulirose.....I did the newspaper thing to make new beds...kills the grass and the newspaper decomposes....it works...so I don't know why doing it in your garden to kills weeds wouldn't work too.

I really need to get some pictures of my new area to post, but since it's a first year perennial bed, it doesn't look that great.

puts 'take garden pictures' on list!

I have my dad haul me 2 scoops from the local garden store...I could easily use 2 more..We use lots of mulch...

Tuli I always use newspaper under mulch on new gardens. Most of my gardens have been around for a while, I add mulch yearly so I put a thin coat of mulch after I aerate the soil. The aerating of the soil is the most important part of adding mulch. This distributes last years mulch into the soil where it can decompose,loosens up the soil so it can absorb water. A thick coat of mulch added on top of last years mulch will only cause problems down the road.

The first year I loosen the soil and add lots of bone meal. Then a few layers of newspaper, moisten it with water and add 2-3 inches of mulch. This get the garden off to a great start. The newspaper smothers out the weeds. The second year I loosen up the soil incorporting last years mulch into the soil. Add bone meal and re-mulch, this time only a inch or less.

After a few years of this practice the soil line becomes to high for the plants and will start to smother out your flowers as well as the weeds. This is when I need to remove some of the top soil when aerating, this soil is great for starting new beds. Once I've removed an inch or two I follow the same practice. Add bone meal and a new layer of mulch.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it pays off. Most of my gardens are weed-free. Except this year I have tons of oak and maple seedlings growing everywhere, it's not beause of the mulch, it because of all the rain. My garden work as doubled this year. I have never had this problem before and hope too never have it again.

I hope you never have the tree seedling problems ever again too, Mamu!

Thank you all for your advice and information. Snowwark - I didn't realize what I was proposing was the same as Amid's lasagna gardening. LOL! While I remember reading her posting about it, I thought it was much more involved but I guess it really isn't!

I used all three bags in one area already - and not the area I originally intended to use it in! It is the shaded corner of the yard where I have hosta and I planted some impatiens too. I took newspapers, wet them and just sort of positioned them around all the plants. I didn't dig up the area first (I didn't see your post Mamu until today and I did this on Thursday).

I LOVE the look! The dark mulch contrasting with the green and white hostas. The impatiens are still small since they just went in but I am totally happy with the look.

Went to Lowes and bought four more bags of mulch today!! I believe each bag is 2 cubic feet and the cost was $2.50 each. While I originally thought the price was pretty good, I can see how it can quickly add up!

Tuli lets do the math 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard. 27 x 2.50= $67.50. You just spent $67.50 for a cubic yard of mulch.

I order mine from the Mulchman. I pay $28.00 delivered per cubic yard. Thats a savings of $29.50 per cubic yard.

If you can find someone who can deliver you mulch you'll get more mulch for the buck. Better yet if you have a pick-up truck lots of places you can pick up your own mulch, and it's even cheeper.

I was never good at math.

I believe my bags said 2 cubic feet, so it cost me even more than what you said? Because you brought up cubic yards? Where did the cubic yards come from?

I really hate math.

You payed less. Divide 2 into 27= 14 1/2 cubic feet. 14 1/2 x 2.50= 36.75.

I end up paying 1.86 for 2 cubic feet. that still a savings of .64 cents per bag.
I ordered 6 yards yeasterday and only paid $25. per cubic yard. So if I was purchasing by the bag it would cost $1.84 per 2 cubic foot bag. Thats a savings of .66 cents per bag. :)

Not a bad deal after all.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mamu - You could have just spoken Chinese to me for all I understood of your calculations. - LOL!

I really hate math!

Tuli what I was saying is by buying it loose For every bag you purchased you could have saved $.66. Which isn't that much of a saving if it's only a few bags. I ordered 6 yards thats 81 bags. Which will probably only cover half the gardens. I'm sure I'll need another 4 yards. By ordering it from the Mulchman I saved over $53.00.

Mine mulch came today. I went and picked it out yeasterday it called black forest. It was steaming when they dumped it, and it smells lovely.

It hasn't rained in 3-4 weeks now, wouldn't you know as soon as I started to spread the mulch it started raining. What the heck I going to spread it anyways. I did 2 1/2 gardens, was soaking wet and covered in black mulch. When I finally stopped to get ready for work it stopped raining.

Mamu - Teenson has a pickup. I will have to investigate for next year's mulching buys.

Tomorrow I am off (after a rough work week). I am getting my hair done in the a.m. and then it is BACK TO THE GARDEN TIME!!! I have to spread out that mulch I bought and I wanna take some pictures to send you guys.

I also need to trim some bushes, do tons of laundry, store my winter clothes away, make some sense out the bedroom and clean the entire house - it's a wreck!

Tuli that sounds like too much to do, leave the inside for a rainy day.

I've spread half the mulch, I'm so tired I can't think, never mind walk. I realized something today, at 57 I don't have the stamina I use to have. I'm pooped, and tomorrow is mow the lawn day, spread more mulch, :) get my nails done :) they sure do need it. Nathan is coming over, were going out to dinner then the movies. I'll probably fall asleep. At almost 14 I'm surprised he still likes to hang-out with Grandma. We do have a fun time together though. I figure it's because he ends up with either a video game or a couple of CD.

Oh yes William also arrived this morning. DD and her Hubby went to the Cape for the remainder of the week. Nothing like listening to Willy squawking when your tired.

All six yards spread, ask my back, but thats before I head out today for 5 more yards.

It may be fall before I finish this year.

William left last night, I don't know if it's becaue he's getting older, all I heard for 5 day was squawking. I was never so glad to see a bird go.

I was out watering and deadheading this morning and everytime I can in the door it was so quite as if something was missing NOT.

Mamu, Tulirose, I think you both need to relax and unwind....in the BUDTUB ...:)

The garden will be there tomorrow....and Mamu, you look AT LEAST 10 years younger than your age, at least!!!! :)

Come and join us, Buds! :)

budsinspa.jpg

Where's Gina with those watermelon martinis when you need her? ;) :)

The BUDTUB looks like a great place to hang out. Love those bathing suits.

Thanks for the compliment, but when I look in the mirror I'm seeing a grandma who's cheeks have fallen down to her chin, and eyes that look like a crow has walked over them and left his footprints.

The budtub looks awfully inviting!

Mamu - You work too hard but as mentioned before, it is a labor of love........and it builds up your bones....and it keeps ya young....

Hey! Mamu doesn't need the budtub....she has her fish pond to lounge around in! LOL! sorry, I bad... but I couldn't resist!

Well, I still didn't do everything I planned on doing back with my last posting on this thread.... some bushes did get trimmed but there are more to go.... I did do a ton of laundry but the pile grew again, and again, and again....still a wreak...I did start putting the winter clothing away finally yesterday but my bedroom still makes no sense and the house is still a wreak and when I got my hair done I got a body wave and I HATE IT!!!!!

But I love sitting on my deck overlooking my yard. It is so peaceful there.....

Oh! and I mulched some more but I have two bags left over. I could easily add more mulch to some areas because I got stingy with it and there are still places I never added mulch to. Actually that weekend I did work pretty hard. I dug up two dead bushes and moved another into their place (hubby had to help me out there). And I finally got the rest of the flat of annuals into the ground.

Oh! If only we didn't have to go to work in a dreary old office. I would love to be able to stay home all day and garden and putz around BUT, of course, keep my income coming in too! That's where I always run into problems. Work keeps telling me, you have to come in and work to get paid. You cannot stay home and get receive a paycheck. I really don't understand that. They are SO uncooperative....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter