Multiple ADR cr@p mentioned on show

Brilliant! ADRs at 90 days with an onsite ressie #, locals and offsite can make ADRs at 10 days, with a credit card hold of.... say $10.

It'll be just another onsite perk, like EMH, Disney transportation and free parking.

But keeping advance reservations for only those on property requiring resort ressies would def. help with double booking. It would also benefit Disney for guests staying on property - onsite benefit. Restaurants would keep an analized % of tables for locals on offsite guests who would have a shorter booking window, but the piece-of-mind of getting the ADR's they want. Holiday bookings...mother's day, vday, christmas...etc...may take on different booking windows b/c of it's popularity. I still feel that offsite guests, and don't shoot me, but maybe locals too, should have to give name, phone number, home address etc. to limit "fraudulent" bookings.

Brilliant! ADRs at 90 days with an onsite ressie #, locals and offsite can make ADRs at 10 days, with a credit card hold of.... say $10.

It'll be just another onsite perk, like EMH, Disney transportation and free parking.

I am always onsite, but still don't think its fair to allow onsight guest such an advantage. We already have the +10 perk. I still don't see how 180 to 90 days really provides any help....

I still don't grasp how changing from 180 to 90 days will really help. I for one think the 180 days helps us obsessive planners get ressies easier. If I'm prepared and okay with making my ressie that far out I can almost always get them. I haven't had a single ressie I couldn't get at the 180 mark even during xmas season.

I'm an obsessive planner but it's difficult even for me to plan so far inadvance especially if you are doing several trips. It's hard for me to decide which park on which day at 6 months out.

I also think people who are like me and can't figure out which park on which day at 6 months out (180 days) wouldn't make duplicate ADR's. At 60 days they can nail down which park on which day and then make ONE ADR as opposed to one at each park. Also, I think it would cut down on the changes. For instance, I thought I wanted to be at DHS on a Tues. and so I made an ADR for 50's. Then my plans changed and I want to be at DHS on Thurs. instead of Tues. so I changed my 50's ADR to Thurs. So that's one change. No big deal. But there are people that flip and flop and flip some more. I've heard of some that make changes 10 times. Maybe they could get their act together at 60 days.

Just my thoughts.

And who really believes it's the off site guests that are really causing the ADR problem?

September is almost totally booked with ressies right now because people are expecting free dining....and that would be ON SITE people expecting this and making the ridiculous ADR's.

The other big group most likely to make multi ADR's is people who get the dining plan...they paid for it and they are going to make sure they have plenty of reservations to cover it (not all DDP people of course) but this is also an on-site group.

So how much do you really think putting up a road block to off site guests and Florida residents will really help? :confused3

I stay on site, so it isn't like I'm some sort of "Off Site Guest Advocate" I just really believe the main people causing the problem are the ones that stay on site.

I said in my post there should always be a percentage of tables left open for locals and offsite guests...so how would that keep people not staying in Disney hotels from getting a same day reservation? Perhaps having a Disney Dining Experience membership could also be a way to allow locals to make ADRs.

As far as reducing the booking window -- how many of the obsessive planners keep calling and changing their ADRs because they keep second guessing themselves? I know I've been guilty of this.

One thing is for sure, if this is as big of a problem some of us thinks it is, Disney will do something about it.

How about this for a stand point... most of the year the system seems to work pretty well and WDW is aware of their no show rate and adjusts accordingly. Much like the airlines know their no show rate, and adjust accordingly.

This Free DDP is an anomaly that stands out for many reasons. For this year, early bird gets the worm works, there will be complaints, they'll open some of those temp locations... but look at how this offer is being abused with pre booking, and the likelihood of massive no shows.

If history is any indicator this year the offer will be watered down, next year it will not exist. This fixes both problems with out revamping the reservations rules.

Is September with the Free Dining expectation really the only time this is an issue? I thought it was more often, due the popularity of DDP even when you have to pay for it?

I've never used DDP and I've never gone to WDW during summer or during a peak or holiday time so I can't say I've ever had a problem with ADR's. Maybe a couple times I didn't get the exact time I wanted, but I don't remember ever not being able to get in a restaurant at all.

If the system really does usually work fairly well and September is really the big (only?) issue then it seems kinda silly that this thread is amost 6 pages long. ;)

It is supply and demand... WDW hit a promotion combo that created a lot of demand, now we see people trying to work the system to take advantage of a promotion. The ratchet down of the DDP helped to taper demand though out the year and bring some balance to the availability of restaurants... I really think we are going to see free DDP for sept. but in a much more limited way in which it is offered. And next year will be all about the bounceback.

Last year the smart folks booked the free DDP in Bounceback, they got the 180+10 to book, so they pretty much got their resies. The ones making resies that haven't booked yet, and are waiting on a promotion that has the potential to be very limited in scope are the ones that are squeezing everyone else out.

So that said... yeah, I don't see the current system being all that broken. The holidays and busy times of year are booked up, the Sept potential for free DDP are an anomaly that WDW is gonna correct with a more limited version of the promotion this year, and hobbled version if at all for 2009.

The economy has a growth problem, but unemployment is low. Even with high gas prices, families are going to cut in other places and still take a vacation... 9/11 impacted WDW, but the downturn in the 70's and the 80's really didn't dent WDW's growth in attendance numbers.

I really think we are seeing the end of the promotion of free DDP... it will be offered this year, but severely limited. A lot of people are banking of something that is just not gonna happen.

I said in my post there should always be a percentage of tables left open for locals and offsite guests

Respectfully disagree on this. :)

Why save seating for "just in case people show up" regardless where they live or what hotel they are staying? If they were to save some seating for anyone, why not first come first served?

Long Story short, if the blood sucking vermin of the earth would stop making multiple ADR's knowing good and well they wont use them, the problem would cease to exist. (Sorry rant)

Quick question.

Who would be opposed to a lets say $50.00 non refundable deposit for or DDP credits for ADR's if you are a no-show? Understand, things happen, people get sick, or whatever, but I bet people would think twice before the commit to it.

Me for one, I am all for it

I am really sick or wanting to eat at MK only to be told that they are booked solid and glance in the window and see empty tables all over.

And who really believes it's the off site guests that are really causing the ADR problem?

I have to agree with this.

Locals know where to get good food at a fraction of Disney prices, so I doubt that they are any part of the ADR problem.

We (us locals) are also bright enough to avoid Disney when it's stupid crowded and if we dont avoid it....we know enough to work the system. There is not a local going hungry because Coral Reef is listed as having no available reservations.

I have spoken many times about making same day reservations. I even suggested attempting a "walk up" at CRT.

I'm not suggesting that folks that live near Disney dont frequent the parks and restaurants. I am however, suggesting that they are not setting alarms or using date calculators to find the exact 180 day mark and making double reservations to dine at Disney in September.

I also believe that people staying off site reserve far less space than onsite guests. They have either learned that you can eat for less off property or are budget concious and need to spend less on food or have realized the convenience of renting a condo and the cost benefit associated with that.

I believe that the issue is with the folks staying on site and the those using the dining plans.

Because Disney has not instituted any sort of penalty for "no shows" or double bookings, most guests are not taking any responsibility for their actions regarding reservations.

I'm also not seeing where a shorter (or longer) booking window will make any difference at all. Whatever the magic number turns out to be....you will have guests calling on that day to book their dining for fear of going hungry at Disney or missing out on the current "must do" restaurant and ruining their children's vacations in perpetuity.

Until a penalty of some sort is imposed for no shows or double bookings (i.e. bad ADR behavior) this craziness will continue

Respectfully disagree on this. :)

Why save seating for "just in case people show up" regardless where they live or what hotel they are staying? If they were to save some seating for anyone, why not first come first served?

Long Story short, if the blood sucking vermin of the earth would stop making multiple ADR's knowing good and well they wont use them, the problem would cease to exist. (Sorry rant)

Quick question.

Who would be opposed to a lets say $50.00 non refundable deposit for or DDP credits for ADR's if you are a no-show? Understand, things happen, people get sick, or whatever, but I bet people would think twice before the commit to it.

I would be opposed to it for two reasons.

1. When a place takes a CC for a deposit on something, that amount is
either charged to your CC or that amount is "held" on your CC. And if you are making reservations for a trip, that can really add up. Say it is a 7 day trip and you make 7 ADR's, that's $350 that Disney is "holding" your money for 6 months (if you make the ressies at 6 months out)

2. There are people on the planet who don't have a CC, by choice or otherwise and while I know that this already effects them for things like CRT and ressies like that, with this, then they wouldn't be able to make ressies for any dining.

I would be opposed to it for two reasons.

1. When a place takes a CC for a deposit on something, that amount is
either charged to your CC or that amount is "held" on your CC. And if you are making reservations for a trip, that can really add up. Say it is a 7 day trip and you make 7 ADR's, that's $350 that Disney is "holding" your money for 6 months (if you make the ressies at 6 months out)

2. There are people on the planet who don't have a CC, by choice or otherwise and while I know that this already effects them for things like CRT and ressies like that, with this, then they wouldn't be able to make ressies for any dining.

Understand your points but at the same time the first one reinforces (in my narrow minded hard headed, thick skulled brain anyway) that if it was instituted I bet people would darn sure think twice about multiple booking.

Don't get me wrong, I for one am not for the mouse getting a free short term loan off of my money by any means, but something needs to be done.

The second point is I know there are people who don't have credit cards for whatever reason, but everyone can't be pleased. (see my note about me being narrow minded, etc in the previous statement) :goodvibes

I made 10 ADR's yesterday for the pre and post stay of our September 1 cruise. I had been pestering DH for weeks to see which restaurants were on his 'must do' list and I finally had something to work with. Our travel dates fall exactly within the rumored free dining period.

I was surprised that I was able to get California Grill at 7:40, a perfect time. The only problem I had was with Le Cellier (no surprise.) I simply changed to lunch and had a choice of times.

I still think a deposit system needs to be put into place though. I feel bad for people who don't know they can book dining in advance or simply are unaware of what a problem it can be to wait until you're in WDW.

Well, after watching this thread for a little while, I thought I'd input my 2 cents.

After listening to the show for quite a while before I even booked my first trip to WDW it wass quite obvious to the point that if you really really want to eat somewhere, then book it. Since we booked our trip in May for August, I knew that there was really no point in booking ADR's since they were most likely to have gone by then. Some people may think that was silly, but we actually didn't even plan where we would go each day until our first day in Orlando and that kept being rearranged day by day. Another reason we didn't book ADR's was that the phone call would be one hell of a strain on the phone bill, and my mum wouldn't have been best pleased (myself, 17 year old, booked and organised the trip).

As we were staying offsite, we only ate in the parks 4 times, only one of which was a table service, and the counter services were only for lunch (the few times we were actually hungry enough for lunch) or when we wanted to get through dinner quickly. The only slight disappointment I had was at Hollywood Studios for Prime Time Cafe. I quite wanted to try it after hearing Kevin's review of it. We went directly to the restaurant when we arrived and asked if there were any tables for that evening (I knew it would be rare if we could) and okay, was a little annoyed that we couldn't get one, but got over it. I didn't know whether because it was actually busy or because of the multiple ADR issue.

Now, I've written all that down, I see that it has no relivance anyway, but I'll leave it as is. I agree that it is quite unfair that people can make multiple ADRs for a single night as yes, it will leave lots of people disappointed.

Now, as for a solution, that's where Disney needs to get thinking. If they made it only 30 or 60 days in advance, then people would have their plans more complete and thus, probably would make less reservations but this probably has a chance of more people calling at once and lots of people on hold - and yes, disney could hire more people to man the phones, but that costs money. Disney could also create an online booking form, it would be a lot easier to make ADR's and if they made people sign up as an account and then make it only one account per IP address, they could limit ADR's to one time slot per account and because of an account rather than booking, it can be used trip after trip, which could reduce the multiple ADR's, but not rule them out all together as people could have many computers in a household. Also, an online form can often have many untested bugs, and could well overbook time slots. Also, as mentioned by other posters, they could use a CC# deposit, but that would then cause unnecessary charges for those who did not make their ADR unintentionally.

I don't know whether thats any use to anyone. But you've been given my 2 cents anyway.

I haven't given this a lot of thought, so feel free to point out the errors in my way of thinking, but...

How about if Disney charges a dining reservation fee? Just a small amount, but enough to add up over a few days, to make people think twice about "no-shows."

It could work very much like a "room only" reservations... due at the time of booking or within 10 days, or it automatically cancels itself out of the system, and fully refunded with 36 hours notice.

When you show up at the restaurant to check-in, the money could be refund by the hostess... cash or a Disney gift card. By having the hostess refund the money prior to dining, instead of having it credited to your dining bill, it would avoid mistakenly or willing, figuring the server's tip calculations after the credit has been applied.

I know this doesn't solve the problem for those who have a legitimate reason for not keeping their reservation, but there are many other businesses that have such policies, which we accept and deal with.

Whaddaya think?

I think we are overthinking this too much. Why not just take a CC hold and charge no shows/no calls a fee? I think this would take care of most of the problems. Seems to work for them on many of the places.

I think actually taking a deposit would be a logistical nightmare, but a credit card hold seems like a good way to curb those making multiple reservations.
This sounds one of the best options and as you state hopefully curb the blocking of reservations by those with no consideration for others :thumbsup2

The problem with the credit card hold thing is how anal they are about cancellation.

We had a CP package booked at LeCellier (a little different than the regular ADR, I know) and due to my son's illness were unable to go. We called just an hour an a half past the 48 hour cancellation period (at 46.5 hours) and were told too bad so sad, you will be charged the full $170 or whatever it was. We spoke to a supervisor....same response, called again to get a different CM, same thing, finally called guest services and still were given not a sliver of consideration.

Lesson learned....don't be a second late calling to cancel. 48 hours means 48 hours, not "two days before".:sad2:

Oh, and we immediately called and cancelled the credit card so they did not get the $170. :rolleyes:

Oh well...this debate could probably go on forever. What all of this boils down to is that some people always think the rules don't apply to them. We just experienced this first-hand on our flights to and from DLR. We flew Southwest and had to deal with the assigned boarding numbers. On all of our flights we had people that stood in line out of sequence even though they knew other people should have been in front of them. Not once did the gate agent tell them "sorry, you need to move back to your designated position". So, as long as no one enforces the rules, people are going to break them. :sad2:

The problem with the credit card hold thing is how anal they are about cancellation.

We had a CP package booked at LeCellier (a little different than the regular ADR, I know) and due to my son's illness were unable to go. We called just an hour an a half past the 48 hour cancellation period (at 46.5 hours) and were told too bad so sad, you will be charged the full $170 or whatever it was. We spoke to a supervisor....same response, called again to get a different CM, same thing, finally called guest services and still were given not a sliver of consideration.

Lesson learned....don't be a second late calling to cancel. 48 hours means 48 hours, not "two days before".:sad2:

Oh, and we immediately called and cancelled the credit card so they did not get the $170. :rolleyes:

This was totally not my experiance at all when I cancelled. Like a lot of things I guess they don't stick to the "rules" all the time. We had an illness and cancelled two ressies, one a fantasmic dining inside of 24 hours and were not charged. Just the fact that you call and cancel should free up a spot for walkups or late ressies. It would avoid the no-shows and they would always know what they have for tables for walkup/last minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter