Murals in the making-ALL DONE!!!!

mvmarcz

Discrazed Southern Girl
Over the next week or two I'll be working on 3 murals for my SiL that she wants in my nephew and niece's rooms. I used clip art as source images and just gridded them to draw them as big as she wanted
Today I finished drawing out the images for my nephew's room, tomorrow I'll paint them:
The walls are pink because my niece was the original tenant of this room. The crib goes in the corner but it's moved out for me to squeeze in and work.
2702200911_e1789d8dc2_o.jpg

2703019798_38ae2ec286_o.jpg

I had to piece together some clip art to get all the characters she wanted in.

2702201087_0e35e1863a_o.jpg

This goes over the length of the crib where he dreams

2702201151_002d1a1ed1_o.jpg

2703020006_3a84e53390_o.jpg

More pics with more progress!

day two Ok here's today's progress, my feet are killing me!!!!!
I should SHOULD be finished with these two tomorrow

2705882920_8c50021a82_o.jpg

2705063441_7c97aba1bb_o.jpg

2705063349_6b25f7b45d_o.jpg

2705063293_dd2e0d9f6c_o.jpg

Ok the end of these is finally here!
Most of this was done yesterday with the blacks, whites, and backgrounds, this morning I just did the outlines to finish them off...I have princesses and a castle next but I might wait a week or at least a few days >_>

DSC02943.jpg

DSC02945.jpg

DSC02946.jpg

DSC02947.jpg

DSC02948.jpg

The shinyness of the stars is a "metallic" white I put over the stars, moon, and cloud.
IT IS DONE!!!! : passes out:

nice job!!! I knwo how much work it is - i did my DS bedroom in life size characters from madagascar movie - i used an overhead projector to get them penciled on the wall - i did this all through my pregnancy
yours looks great
jennifer

WOW, that looks so great!!! :thumbsup2

What a lucky baby!!!

wow what an awesome job. Did you use Craft paint or regular paint? I would love to do this for my DD rooms. They have been asking me to do something "unique" in there rooms... ;) I would love to see your princess and Castle when you finish.

Love the idea of using a projector, but i have no access to one. :confused:
Did you print the image on transparencies?

O I didn't use a projector someone else did I used a method called gridding where you place lines at certain lengths on the source image then you draw a grid and you basically make the boxes match each other. By changing the size if the grid you draw to but keeping it proportional you can resize the image as much as you need to. Although I am an artist you don't need to be a good artist for the gridding method to work.

We were going to use regular wall paint but we ended up using craft paint, my SIL bought all the supplies for me I would have preferred a more high quality craft paint than she bought but from the research I did it should hold up and if it looks as if it wont I can always varnish it, the only problem is the baby was out of the room for the 3/4 days and nights I worked on it and because of the type of varnish he'd probably have to be out for longer and I didn't want to displace him for long.

Oh and if you know anyone with a laptop and a computer projector you could do that too :woohoo:
:artist:

Outstanding! I'm searching for picture ideas to do the same for our baby due in January. We have a friend who does a lot of drawing and painting, so she will be doing the art work. We just need to come up with the ideas.

I like this! :thumbsup2

maybe if they were really small and maybe a border around the room...oh that would be cuuuuute!

started the princess one got the rest of it all drawn out today
She shares a room with her grandparents so this is her little corner:
DSC03004.jpg

you can sort of see my source images taped on the wall here

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03005.jpg

I arranged some "Little Princess" clip art around the castle my SiL wanted (since Niece is a toddler toddler princesses are the thing for us right now)

DSC03006.jpg

I had to track down box art from a "little tinker bell" that they repackaged for the Disney Fairies line so I couldnt find the full image so I had to kind of piece her together using the way the princesses were drawn as refference

Tomorrow I start painting! blending acrylics is going to be frustrating I'm used to oil paint...oh well I have some retarder to help me.

started the princess one got the rest of it all drawn out today
She shares a room with her grandparents so this is her little corner:
DSC03004.jpg

you can sort of see my source images taped on the wall here

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03005.jpg

I arranged some "Little Princess" clip art around the castle my SiL wanted (since Niece is a toddler toddler princesses are the thing for us right now)

DSC03006.jpg

I had to track down box art from a "little tinker bell" that they repackaged for the Disney Fairies line so I couldnt find the full image so I had to kind of piece her together using the way the princesses were drawn as refference

Tomorrow I start painting! blending acrylics is going to be frustrating I'm used to oil paint...oh well I have some retarder to help me.

That is great! Using the grid system might allow us to do some of the work ourselves. We have an artist friend who has offered to paint the room for us using the designs we pick out. But with the grids, we could certainly help.

And thanks for that clip art link. TONS of great images on there. We love that it has baby Pooh and Tigger too!

... I like the idea of pairing characters with letters, although 26 little murals might be a little too much work..
ABCDisneyBabies.jpg

These would be really cute if you spelled out the baby's name.

started the princess one got the rest of it all drawn out today...

DSC03005.jpg

I arranged some "Little Princess" clip art around the castle...

I LOVE the castle and little princesses. Beautiful. Do you remember where you got the castle image?

unfortunately no, my SiL emailed that one to me.

I can upload it to photobucket if you'd like

Hi, I was just wondering where you got the information/instructions for the gridding method? i normally just sketch on what I am drawing on but this looks like a great way to do it. The murals are great, Great Job
:thumbsup2

Art 101 :)
I'm an art education major in college and it was a method we used in the first entry level class to make a master study (copy of a masterwork)
I can try to find a good explaination of it online though. I use adobe photoshop to place my lines but you could do with a ruler and some math(I suck at math so I use the computer)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter