"Must do" attractions for 10 year old boy and 8 year old Girl -Please recommend

jbm23

Earning My Ears
We are taking my 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter to Disney, and we're staying off-site (Buena Vista Suites). We will go to the parks any of the following days April 14-17. Any suggestions on must-do attractions, shows etc. and/or timing and that worked for you? We went 4 years ago, and we used tour guide mike and will use this again.

My son is most interested in the water parks, and he is interested in tame/moderate roller coasters, but I expect this to change within the next year.

My daughter is moderately interested in the theme meals, but she is not obsessed with it. I'm thinking of booking the Cinderella's castle meal again, which was a peaceful break from the crowds last trip.

They both like shows with acrobats, special effects, etc. Another highlight from last trip was the pool at the Dolphin, but our current lodging does not offer as nice of a pool.

We did not go to MGM or Sea world last trip, and we're curious about these attractions as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Based on reading this board, I suspect that pre-planning is time well spent.

My best advice for parents with kids your age is to branch out and don't spend so much time at the Magic Kingdom.

There's a great, big world out there beyond Fantasy Land! And if you haven't been to Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM), then you've missed a lot!

Epcot:
- Test Track
- Soarin'
- Innoventions

Animal Kingdom:
- Dinosaur
- Everest
- Kali River
- Safari
- Flights of Wonder

Hollywood Studios
- Lights, Motors, Action stunt show
- Rock n' Roller Coaster
- Studio Backlot Tour
- Star Tours
- Great Movie Ride
- Fantasmic
- Muppet Vision 3D
- Indiana Jones Stunt show
- Toy Story Midway Mania
And more!

The studios park is the best for pre-teen/ teen boys. So, while the Magic Kingdom brings back nostalgia for us parents, some of it can be boring (and kiddie) for a boy.

As far as a character meal, our DS14 did enjoy Cinderella's Royal Table, but he certainly like Chef Mickey's MUCH better.

Hi! I just wanted to comment that we went to Disney for the first time this past May and had a blast! My son was 11 and my daughter was 8. You can read my trip report at the link in my signature.

Anyway, here were there favorite rides/attractions:

Son -
- Expedition Everest
- Rock N Roller Coaster
- Tower of Terror
- Test Track
- Mission Space

Daughter -
- Test Track
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Soarin'
- Big Thunder Mountain RR
- Mickey's Philharmagic

Overall, I would say that these following attractions are on our "must-do" list:

MK -
- Big Thunder Mountain RR
- Splash Mountain
- Mickey's Philharmagic
- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
- Pirates of the Caribbean

AK -
- Expedition Everest (although our 8 yr old daughter did NOT ride it last year, she thinks she wants to try it this year)
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Finding Nemo: The Musical
- Primeval Whirl
- Kali River Rapids (we didn't get to ride this last year - DD was not feeling well and we left the park before we wanted to)

Epcot -
- Test Track (the whole family will LOVE this ride! It is not too intense)
- Soarin' (ditto)
- Mission Space (again, daughter didn't ride this one, but son loved it)

DHS -
- Toy Story Midway Mania (everyone should love this one!)
- Star Tours
- Muppets 3D
- Fantasmic
- Beauty and the beast (for your daughter)
- Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror (for your son)

Hope this helps! Have fun!

I would recommend getting a guide book such at Birnbaum's "WDW With Kids." Our local AAA office sells it for 12 bucks.
Each ride is described and offers ratings for various ages. Your kids could read through and mark the rides that most appeal to them - it's a great way to get into the Disney spirit while you wait for your trip.

That's a great idea - Passporter also offers a kids point of view as well as Tweens. Either book is great.

A must see for them will be the new Toy Story Mania. It is a lot of fun for both kids and adults.

Make sure you catch the acrobat act in China at Epcot as well as the vaudville type act in France at Epcot. Both are very good.

Epcot
- Soarin
- Test Track

MK
- Big Thunder Mtn
- Haunted Mansion
- Splash Mtn
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Mickey's Philharmagic

DHS
- Toy Story Mania

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter