My DH has just seen this board and is STRESSED OUT!! First timers-HELP!!!

l&h's mum

Earning My Ears
He said "isn't this supposed to be a vacation?!? He is so stressed about having to RUN around when we get there. Our flight doesn't arrive until 10:50am and we are then taking DIS bus to Port. Oh! I guess I should say we are going on the 7 night Eastern with our 3 yo DS and 13 week old DD. We need to make reservations at Palos for one night (we don't care which) and reservations at Flounders Reef for our DD for a few hours on a few nights-thankfully she is a sleeping angel!!
What should our strategy be when we get there? What can I do to make him less freaked out??
Our DD sleeps in bed with us (we have a secret porthole room, by chance), so I'm wondering if I should bother requesting a crib for her (or playpen, whatever they give).
We are reserved for the early sitting at dinner-is this ok do you guys think?
Also for the spa, we want to do something-I've read a lot about the surial bath, which seems good, but I tell you, again, this reservation angst!!
I guess people who don't read these boards are totally out of luck, but even though I'm trying to prepare, I feel like we are overwhelmed!!(And before anyone says, an earlier flight wasn't an option because of work!!)
Please help with any and all of your suggestions. :eek: :eek:

First breath. It isn't as bad as it sounds. I would suggest picking a restraunt that you'll nibble with with your children, but you'll eat your meal at Palo's. You know your dinner rotation before you board, because it'll be on your room key. That will let you know what night to make Palo's ressies. I would suggest that when you board, go to the buffet. You'll have time to let whoever is going to stay there with the kids get everyone food and settled in. The other adult goes to Palo's for ressies, the Spa and then to flounder's for ressies for the times that you need. You should have more than enough time. After the ressies are down, it's free sailing!

Prepare and take notes prior to the trip. Then arrive get your ressies and RELAX.
You are doing everything right. It's nice to know all of the options, this way you won't regret not doing something that you hadn't known about until too late. (Or waste time doing something that you then wish you hadn't)
Get your DH a massage first thing! LOL

Yes to Palo's, yes to flounders, and yes to early dinner unless you really don't want to be rushed from day activities to go to dinner. We were always good and hungry in time for the early, plus it's better on the body to pig out earlier rather that later. LOL

Hi!

We all might sound a bit hurried about embarkation, but we wouldn't be repeat cruisers if we felt that way. Certain things must be done early - Palo reservations, for example. But it's NOT worth stressing out over - really!!

This is your vacation and you need to be aware of the different areas of the ship and "what should be done first". Think of it this way, many of us didn't know about these Boards when we first cruised and had to "feel things out for ourselves". Now it's really a piece of cake and because there are so many people to answer your questions with their information, you shouldn't miss out on anything!

Breathe! Then make your plans! And relax!!! It's fun!

Rae

On our first Disney Cruise (a 7-day), we tried to do everything. Although we had a wonderful time, we didn't realize just how great a cruise could be until we did the 7-day again. We were much more laid back and concentrated on what we did do as opposed to what we didn't do.

My advice is to take it easy and not try to do everything. We've been on 4 Disney cruises and haven't yet eaten at Palo. I'm not worried because I know that we'll eat there someday. Just take it easy and have a great time.

It's okay... Hakuna Matata!! I never "rush" to get ressies.. I go pig out on shrimp... show up at the times to get my ressies, and then I hit the pool deck. It's not a big race, or as bad as it might sound on these boards, really :)

And remember, you will have the best vacation if you put all your time and effort into thoroughly enjoying those activities you do, not trying to do every last thing. Really enjoying the Disney touch is experiencing the little things, paying attention to the details. Doing a hidden mickey tour... watching your kids hug mickey mouse... getting teary-eyed at the end of Disney Dreams...laying on the beach at Castaway Cay and glancing over and seeing the glorious ship docked right on shore... That's why we all go on Disney Cruises! If we just wanted good food and a spa, we could go on any old cruise. So I say, don't worry about ressies..sure, show up at the times on the navigators to try to get them, but really seek out that Disney magic. I spend every day in the parks, and am still baffled by all the wonderful things and little hidden details that guests run by to go on an attraction. It's the details, that special Disney touch, that pixie dust that will give you a great cruise... even the souffle at Palo can't beat that!

I agree....I have been on several cruises on other lines and I felt stressed out when reading the boards here just because it felt that Disney did everything so differently than other lines but it was no big deal. If for some bizarre reason you dont get the Palo reservations...the cruise wont end or suck. You might be disappointed but nothing in the vacation thought process should stress you out beyond your normal levels. Everything on here probably sounds so "hard" but it really isnt. Once you get on board you will discover that all of your stressing before you got there was pointless although completely understandable. We went on a 4 day (different I know) but we didnt do Palo's (and we had grandparents with us to help out) and I honestly dont feel "cheated" that I missed something and I doubt I would feel that way on a 7 day either. There seems to be alot of "pressure" for everyone to go to Palo and I am sure it is WONDERFUL but if you dont make it (like Dr. Phil says) is it a deal breaker? I dont think so so take a big breath and figure that NONE of us has EVER done EVERY SINGLE activity offered on a cruise ship because that is impossible! Figure out how "go go go" you want this vacation to be and then work around that. I would imagine with little ones like yours you will be going quite a bit but not like a normal cruiser...you will be going for diaper changes, naps, feedings, burpings (tongue in cheek here) while the rest of the other cruisers (who dont have as small of children as you) will be going for the "best seat" in the theatre or the best bar. Really relax and it will all be great and just figure whatever you got to do was the best and enjoy it!

Heidi

we went on a 7 day eastern last year, and enjoyed it so much that we booked a 7 day western this year.

the best thing for us is: you can be as busy as you want, or you can lay by the pools and have the drink of the day. :D

from what i understand, the "ressie scramble' is more apparent on the three and four day cruises where there are fewer times to fill with the same amount of people as a seven day cruise.

we boarded at 12:30, had lunch, dropped stuff at the room, and made the ressies we wanted without any problems. (do try to make it to palo, it is well worth it). and just in case you dont get what you wanted, you can check daily for cancellations, especially for palo.

it did seem a little intimidating, but dont worry: it's a great time. have fun!

Hi l&h's mum. As others have advised, making reservations isn't stressful. Look at it from a different perspective - raising TWO daughters IS stressful! lol. Relax and enjoy...

We recently returned from a 7-day Eastern. You hear a lot about the "ressie rush" and I was worried that I wouldn't remember how to do it, but it turned out we didn't have to "rush" anywhere and there wasn't that much to remember. It all starts to sound like planning a wedding when it's more like making reservations for dinner and a babysitter.

Since you are an "informed traveler" thanks to these boards (what would we do without them?) just relax... what to do will become apparent as you board the ship. I think you could cruise 100 times and never have the exact same experience, but they all would be great. Yours will, too. :)

If your youngest is 3 and potty trained, you don't have to do Flounders. The Oceaneer's Club is for 3-7 year olds (3-4 and 5-7, I think) are the age groupings. You don't need reservations for the Club. You should just register your child sometime the first day. You can either do it before the lifeboat drill, or wait until before or after dinner the first night.

I echo what everyone else says. Even though it sounds like a lot of running around, it really isn't too awfully much. I would send either the husband or the wife to do the ressies, then take the kid to register at the club. You should easily be able to get everything done before the lifeboat drill with no major worries!

I know exactly how your husband feels. Before our first cruise, I was actually believing that if i stood on line for Palo reservations, I would miss out on the jumbo shrimp!!!!! Everybody always talks about the ressies scramble, but it is truly not bad at all. We will soon be taking our second cruise and I am so much more relaxed about the whole process. Just because the ship offers so many opportunities, that doesn't mean you have to do them all. The last time, we did a 4-day and we rushed around trying to get it all in. I felt we needed a vacation when we returned home. This time we'll be sailing 7 days and I'm looking forward to a whole lot of rest and relaxation during the cruise, not after it.

FYI (for 3 and 4 day cruisers) - I was surprised to hear from fellow cruisers that getting Palo ressies on the 3 and 4 day cruises is apparently easier than on the 7 day. Perhaps that's because a lot of first-time cruisers do not want to miss any day of their dining rotation. On our 3-day cruise this past November, our table mates (who at a Palo two out of three nights) told us that there were plenty of empty tables at Palo. But try as I may, I still could not convice DW Sue to try the quisine there. Oh well. Maybe next time.

My advice to anyone going with young kids is not to expect to do too much. We went last year on the 4 day Wonder. At that time my DS was 9 and my Twins, one DD and one DS, were 3. The 9 was no problem, but the twins were not always happy in the club. The night we went to Palo's we got two phone calls. The staff in the clubs were good. We asked nicely if they could give us some time, as we were in Palo's, and they helped us out. My sister-in-law's family had the 1 year old and he slept like a baby, what else, at Flounders. If you make a reservation at Palo's, make it late, so maybe your kids will fall asleep at Flounders or the Club.

In the end, don't worry about Palo, the spa, excursions, or anything else. It is a vacation so just let things happen. Don't try to plan too much or try to do everything. You might get frustrated or disappointed. I know the stress your feeling. Sometime during the cruise just come to the realization that you will have to do it again. It is very liberating. It's the same attitude when you go to Disney World

I'm REALLY REALLY glad I didn't know about these boards until after our second cruise. The only thing I know of that we missed is that DD wanted to parasail at CCand we didn't reserve in time. She went to the "wild side" instead and had a blast. She'll parasail next time.

There were plenty of tables at Palos both times we cruised (one 4 day, one 7), especially if you are not uptight about which night.

Hey l&h's mom, has your DH calmed down yet???? Order him a Bahama Mama or something as soon as you get there. My DH wouldn't even look at these boards when I was here all the time prior to our cruise....he thought my addiction was crazy, actually ... can you believe that??? Everyone here is SO kind and helpful!!!!

As for the spa, I did book a surial bath for DH and I based on Barb and Tony's report (www.castawayclub.com). You're left alone in a room for an hour with an assortment of body products. Pretty nice, but it can get really messy ... and I'd recommend bringing a few extra towels because that floor's pretty hard....;) Schedule during h's naptime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter