My First Flower and Garden Festival

Great reviews, Janice! I'm not even missing the pictures! We've only done the California Grill brunch once, back in the fall of 2016, and we loved it so much! Can't wait to do it again. The seafood buffet at Garden Grove sounds really good. Wish I had known about it when we stayed at the Boardwalk this past April. Oh well. Next time. Believe it or not, we still haven't trying Flying Fish. I don't know why. I'm always saying I'm going to, then we don't. I look at the menu and nothing ever really stands out to me. I guess I need to take a leap of faith and just do it, lol. It's so hard when I want to go to all my favorites, and there's just not enough days in the vacation!

Thanks, @TeresaNJ.

There’s a review of Flying Fish on EasyWDW that made me want to try it for drinks this trip.

Josh also made a suggestion that sounds so good—they offer a supplement of twin lobster tails for $24. He said that two people can order a steak and the tails, then split them in half. He said that the restaurant was happy to do this and even split them into two plates before serving them. It brings the entree price down to $34-$36 per person for what I am sure is a wonderful surf and turf dinner.

I wish I could have extended my trip a day or two so we had the time to do it. (Darn air fare was too high.) Gives me a reason to hurry back tho. LOL!

Plus the guy at the bar eating the fried oysters raved about them. They looked and sounded fantastic.

Your review of Cali brunch was exceptional and has convinced me to book it for our stay next August. Will jot it down in the itinerary :)

The following day, Tuesday, 5/22, was my older nephew’s family’s last full day at the World. They were headed to Clearwater beach the following day. They are land locked where they live out west. My nephew grew up going to the beach all summer in New Jersey, so this was their chance to see the ocean (the Gulf of Mexico actually) for the year unless they decide to visit us in NJ this summer. Got my fingers crossed that they do—I enjoyed them all so much this trip.

Anyway, with it being a PM EMH and the weather forecast being decent, we decided on a marathon day at Epcot. I was able to snag a Fastpass for Soarin late in the day and we were gassed to hit the Flower & Garden kiosks.

We started at the Cider House. I got a cider flight while SIL and younger nephew got the biscuit filled with salmon. They both raved about it and it sounded delicious, but I did not get to try it.

The flight had three cider flavors: black cherry, pineapple and orange mimosa. Hands down, the pineapple one tasted the best to me. The black cherry was reminiscent of cough syrup, and the orange mimosa was just weird. I’m not sure I get the point of drinking a cider that’s mimicking another drink.

We moved on to Northern Bloom near Canada and got orders of scallops and the tenderloin tips with mash and veggies. I loved the potato and green bean salad that was part of the scallop dish. It was similar to a green bean and potato salad with vinaigrette that is an old family recipe. In fact, I will be making it this weekend to bring to a barbecue at my in-laws.

The meat and gravy was very savory; the mashed were good. (I have already expressed my affinity for mash early in this report.) I wanted a Fin du Monde from the beer stand, but they only had a blonde ale from Unibroue. I wound up getting a flight of Unibroue’s from the F&G kiosk and then a couple of the blonde ale that I shared with my younger nephew and niece.

Next I made a big mistake—I went to the Refreshment Port and got a cup of Cheddar Cheese soup. It is crazy delicious and I’ve loved it since I tried it for the first time in 2000. But boy, was it filling on a hot day. It kinda wrecked my appetite for the afternoon. Meanwhile, younger nephew got an order of traditional poutine that the three of us split. Man, it was delicious! I could eat it as a meal.

We moved onto the Bee-Stro where I got an order of roasted cauliflower which was made interesting by sunflower brittle. My nephews really liked the chicken flatbread there and got a couple of those. I was interested in the honey cheesecake, but my SIL bought me a Dole Whip with rum from the Pineapple booth. Nothing beats dessert with booze in it. LOL!

We made our way into Future World and did a bunch of attractions there. The brother who lives an hour away took the afternoon off and met up with us. The evening is kind of a blur now. I know we did some more snacking and drinking.

We watched Illuminations in front of Norway and dashed onto the line for Frozen Ever After when it ended. Next, we headed to La Cava in Mexico. We got there and found out they were getting ready to close.

I ordered two jalapeño margaritas right away, one for myself and the other for my sister-in-law. I kinda owed her from the Dole Whip earlier, and these jalapeño margaritas were our favorite thing at the 2016 Food & Wine Festival.

I offered drinks to my nephews as the nieces and babies were taking potty breaks. They asked for “Twitter Shots.” Apparently, La Cava offers special $8 tequila shots if you show that you follow them on Twitter.

The shots were Casa de Noble Reposado tequila. I am not knowledgeable about tequila at all, but my nephews assured me that this is very fine and a deal at $8.

The shots were served in a tray with three shots of something that resembled a pulpy tomato juice as well as little cups of limes and salt. The bartender told us that in Mexico, they don’t take the lime and salt, and they don’t slam down the tequila.

Rather, they take alternate sips of the tequila and the juice. The juice was a sweet and spicy blend with tomato juice, hot sauce and fresh pineapple. So I thought, when in Rome, and drank my shot the way he suggested with sips of tequila followed by sips of juice.

It was quite good and my nephews ordered themselves two more while I started on my margarita. That jalapeño margarita might be my favorite drink ever. It’s not too sweet or sour, but it is refreshing and the way it makes your lips tingle is a great sensation. Reminds me of partying at NYC nightclubs in the 1980s if you know what I mean. ;)

We walked out of La Cava and they locked the door behind us. I looked at my receipt and couldn’t figure out how it cost that much. I paid for 3 tequila shots at $8 each plus 2 margaritas, but it was more no matter how I looked at it. I told my SIL and she guessed that they rang up 3 margaritas.

She got her Bronx up and tapped at the door. They let us back in and the bartender admitted that he charged us for 3 margaritas. The manager wanted to give us cash back for one, but I said we’d happily take another margarita. They were so glad to do this that they gave us 2. One more for me and another for SIL. Man, we were so happy! We love those margaritas.

My nephews took the babies on the boat ride while my nieces drank Dos Equis that they got from the stand outside, and SIL and I enjoyed our margaritas. I guess it’s just as well that I can’t get those drinks where I live because I’d probably become an alcoholic if I could have them all the time.

After that, we made our way slowly back around the World Showcase to the International Gateway. There just aren’t enough hours in a day when it comes to Epcot. We enjoy ourselves so much there.

Back at the resort, I went to Picabu and got a couple of pizzas and two 6-packs of Phins and Feathers, the exclusive craft beer of the Swan and Dolphin. Sold warm for $15 each 6-pack, sold cold they were $7.50 each can. I iced them in the sink in the room and we enjoyed them with the mushroom pizzas I bought. This was a super fun day and night. :)

Last edited:

Thanks, @TeresaNJ.

There’s a review of Flying Fish on EasyWDW that made me want to try it for drinks this trip.

Josh also made a suggestion that sounds so good—they offer a supplement of twin lobster tails for $24. He said that two people can order a steak and the tails, then split them in half. He said that the restaurant was happy to do this and even split them into two plates before serving them. It brings the entree price down to $34-$36 per person for what I am sure is a wonderful surf and turf dinner.

I wish I could have extended my trip a day or two so we had the time to do it. (Darn air fare was too high.) Gives me a reason to hurry back tho. LOL!

Plus the guy at the bar eating the fried oysters raved about them. They looked and sounded fantastic.

That is so good to know! Thank you!!!

My older nephew and his family were leaving to drive to Clearwater on Wednesday, 5/23, and it was my last full day at the World. He rented a car at the Dolphin desk and took my younger nephew to the Speedway to buy beer and water.

It was a very nice, sunny day for a change so we decided to spend it at the pool. We weren’t the only ones; the pool complex was the busiest I’d ever seen it there. So busy that they ran out of swim vests for toddlers. They had an inflatable one ($15) for sale that my nephew bought for his older daughter who will be 3 next September.

We couldn’t find a shady chaise near where we wanted to swim on the end of the big pool nearest the Dolphin so we wound up camping out under the waterfall. It’s super shady there, albeit loud from the sound of the tumbling water.

After we settled in and had a nice swim, we were hungry and decided to get food at Picabu and bring it to the chaise. Now I must admit we had another pool day earlier in the trip, but I can’t remember which day it was. I thought it would come to me as I was writing, but it didn’t. I posted on the Swan/Dolphin thread that day to relate what we experienced. The food I bought that day was mundane, just a pizza and a kid’s chicken tender meal.

I wrote about it at the time because I wanted to relate the food situation with both Cabanas and the Splash Terrace being under renovations. Food trucks were set up around the pool complex. Cabanas was serving a full bar menu, but a limited food menu.

Close to 11:30 AM, I approached the pizza truck where it was printed that you could get a 7 inch cheese or pepperoni pie. I was thinking of ordering 2 cheese and 1 pepperoni, but the young lady said that she couldn’t take any pizza orders because the oven wasn’t warmed up yet. She was very sweet and tried to get me to order soda, but I said never mind and walked to Picabu.

There was a taco truck and some other food truck near Cabanas. Over by Splash, they had a few tables and chairs set up next to an “Oasis” truck. I guess if you wanted some kind of tropical drink, they could make it there.

We adore the resort, but weren’t happy with the fact that we had no boat service and both pool restaurants were under renovations at the same time. We did get a very good price on our suite so I’m sure that these things were part of the reason, but no one communicated this to us. We just thought we lucked out on the price by catching the resort in between conventions.

Anyhow, my nephew and I went to Picabu and hit up the taqueria. I got a bowl with steak and he got 2 orders of tacos. You get 3 soft tacos per order and you can vary the fillings however you want. He chose 4 chicken and 2 steak.

He introduced me to the Salsa Corner. In the back of the seating area of Picabu, they offer a variety of homemade salsas. He took a few different kinds. I let the taco lady talk me into buying fresh chips for $4 which would not have been worth it without the Salsa Corner. The sauces there are crazy delicious. Next time we go, I’m getting a bag of tortilla chips and hitting up the Salsa Corner.

We really enjoyed our taqueria food, then later on, we got pina coladas with rum floaters from Cabanas. I redeemed my reputation after the lousy Lapu Lapus by recommending these drinks. That extra shot of rum improves the flavor and buzz of the coladas exponentially.

Last edited:
I fell behind but am all caught up now. So glad to hear you all enjoyed the CG brunch. i think it is one of the most magical dining experiences in Disney!

We decided to go to Animal Kingdom for the night. I was wanting to go to Epcot because I didn’t spend anywhere near the amount of time that I normally do there, but we were there the entire day and night before. The others were saying that they wanted to see Rivers of Light, and that really appealed to me. I had seen Illuminations twice already this trip, but never RoL, so AK was our choice.

But we’d need some dinner and my sister-in-law mentioned that she saw a sign or something that Bluezoo had a Happy Hour. Going there for drinks and appetizers was a great idea.

So after showering and getting ready, we went there. My brother has an illness that stops him from doing as much as the rest of us do. It’s one reason I travel with them—his wife and I are very close so we hang out together when he’s not game for doing something. After a day in the sun, he was not up for going out to eat or a park.

This was the first time I was actually inside Bluezoo. It is so beautiful. The decor is amazing and the bar is quite large. Since we had a stroller and two babies with us, we asked to be seated in the side lounge.

HH drink choices were Phins and Feathers draft, the Zooberry cocktail and a smoking rose sangria. SIL and I both got the Zooberry which contained their own blueberry infused vodka, my nephew took the smoking sangria which was smoking from liquid nitrogen and niece got a beer.

The Zooberry cocktail was a martini. It was delicious and had a lot of lemon flavor in addition to the blueberry. The smoking sangria was straight out of The Addams Family. (As you may be able to see, I watched a lot of TV growing up in the 60s/70s.) Every beverage the Addams drank had smoke pouring out of it like this drink.

We decided to order every HH appetizer except the flatbread because we ate so much pizza on the trip. We ordered crab nachos, tempura green beans, fried calamari and fish & chips. It was a small bummer that the menu had so many fried items on it. Some sliders would have been nice.

But everything was very good especially the crab nachos. These were chock full of fresh and delicious lump crab meat. They were not as fabulous as the ahi tuna nachos at Yak & Yeti, but still very good.

The calamari had some fried green things in it. I didn’t know what to make of it because it seriously looked like frog legs. LOL! But I checked the menu and saw that they were pickles. This was served on top of a spicy remoulade.

The aioli that came with the green beans was really tasty. The beans themselves were fresh and tasty though I would have preferred them to be cooked more because they were a bit tough.

The fish & chips had actual potato chips freshly fried and sprinkled with malt vinegar. The fish itself was corvina filet. I thought it was really good, but my nephew declared the fish & chips at Garden Grove to be the best of our trip. He and my niece were disappointed in the fish they got at the stand in Epcot. Since we’re back, I’ve read here that they are using tilapia now which is not very flavorful. He asked at the Garden Grove what kind of fish and they said cod so that is likely the reason it was the best tasting.

We got a second round, but all of us chose the beer. The Zooberry was tasty, but not a drink I’d want too much of, and my nephew was underwhelmed by the sangria. My niece wanted more crab nachos so we ordered another one of those. When it came, none of us felt hungry enough to eat much of it. We had it boxed to go and asked for plastic cups to take our beers. My nephew ran the crab nachos up to my brother so he could have them for dinner, and he raved about them the next day. He thought they were outrageous.

Animal Kingdom was not at all crowded. We walked onto everything we did: Safari in the dark which was really cool, Navi River ride twice, and Expedition Everest. My SIL had never gone on EE and I told her I would go on with her, but when we got there, I was feeling chickeney and my nephew was game for a ride so I stayed with my niece and the babies while they rode. We told them to meet us at this bar/stand I never noticed before at the entrance of EE.

I see on MDE that bar is called the Thirsty River Bar and Trek Snacks (rolls right off the tongue—not). But it had something awesome—Victory Golden Monkey on draft. Ooh! If you haven’t heard of it, it is one of the strongest and most delicious craft beers you can get. I’ll take it any day over Fin du Monde.

I bought one each for me and my niece then she got our popcorn bucket filled and got a strawberry ice pop for our toddler. It took some supervision for her to eat it without it falling on the ground, but we got it done.

After they were done with EE, SIL and nephew were feeling motion sickness. They didn’t want any Golden Monkey so we went and got seats for Rivers of Light.

I was surprised by how good it was and how much we enjoyed it. The babies were mesmerized by the show. It’s not exciting like a fireworks show, but it is beautiful and something I could see multiple times because it appears you’d see different aspects of the show from wherever you sit.

We went back to the resort after the show. A bus was waiting at the depot with a long line. I asked the driver and found out it was the Swan and Dolphin bus, while the rest of the line was waiting for the Boardwalk bus. We were back in our room at 11:30; not bad at all since the show started at 10:30.

My nephew and I went down to Picabu after we got the babies showered and into bed. He got a steak bowl and I ordered a burger. My niece had fallen asleep—her husband blamed the Golden Monkey. She woke up hungry when we were nearly done eating our food. It was after 1:00 AM so the taqueria was closed. My nephew offered to get her a salad or sandwich, but one thing I didn’t eat was the fries that came with my burger and she said she’d be fine having those. I was craving a burger, not having had one the whole trip. It was not flavorful though. The toppings on it (Swiss cheese, pickles, onions, tomato) had far more flavor than the meat. The taqueria would have been tastier.

Last edited:
The next day, I had to go home. I didn’t want to! Wah! I checked on moving my flight to the following day or day after when the others were leaving, but the prices were insane, I guess because it was Memorial Day weekend. So I had to leave. My husband, son and puppy were missing me so it was just as well.

Of course the weather was gorgeous that day. The gang headed over to the Magic Kingdom after saying good-bye. I think they were a little sad to see me go. We had so much fun together. The toddler and I really bonded after her cousins left. The previous night at Animal Kingdom, she stuck to me like glue, holding my hand every where we walked and wanting to sit next to me on rides. It’s been so many years since I had a little girl to play with. All of the girls were adorable throughout the trip, but this one and I have a special bond since they live close to me and I see her the most.

After she was bathed the previous night, she came in my room to hang out while her baby sister got a bath. We were talking and she said, “Mommy and Daddy are nice, but...” I wanted to crack up laughing so I asked, “but what?” And she said it again, “Mommy and Daddy are nice, but...”

Kids are so funny. I told her Mommy later on about this and she was laughing too though we all want to know what the “but” means. She’s been telling Daddy since we got home that he can’t yell at her because Aunt Janice says she’s an angel. LOL!

I got a spinach stromboli at the airport because I got one in September and liked it, but this time it was burnt. Back in New Jersey that night, we ordered Chinese and everything in the Pu Pu platter was burnt. Ugh! The next day, I dragged myself to Aldi’s and bought a load of groceries. It’s a lot of fun eating out for over a week, but I missed home cooking by that point and made flank steak, corn on the cob, salad and tater tots for dinner that night. Welcome home, JJ. Now you get to do dishes again. LOL!

Of my three most recent trips, this one was the best. I had the most fun in spite of the bad weather early on, and the time spent with my family and especially the babies was priceless. Those little girls have completely filled my heart. :cloud9:

Your review of Cali brunch was exceptional and has convinced me to book it for our stay next August. Will jot it down in the itinerary :)

Glad you enjoyed reading it. There are many other reviews out there with photos that will make you want to go. Make sure you book it at 180 days because it’s not an easy ADR to get. Being held only one day per week really limits the availability.

It’s expensive, but between the AYCE mimosas and the ability to take leftovers, I think it’s well worth the price. I really wanted to try the hanger steak, but I was stuffed when it came and managed only a few bites. I packed it for my brother who didn’t come to the brunch, and he was thrilled with it.

I fell behind but am all caught up now. So glad to hear you all enjoyed the CG brunch. i think it is one of the most magical dining experiences in Disney!

Thank you, Kari! I enjoy reading your reviews so much. Glad I could return the favor although I have zero photography skills. I know a picture is worth 1,000 words especially when it comes to food and wish it would occur to me to whip out my phone when the food is served. I like to journal my experiences and writing about my trips around our dining plans is fun for me, and hopefully, some of what I write helps others. I learn a lot reading other people’s reports. I would never have picked the CG brunch if I hadn’t read about it from fellow Disers.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter