My first PTR - April/May 2024

grapefruitjellybean

Mouseketeer
Hello,
Welcome to my first pre trip report. By nature I'm not a planner and my life is chaos but that's not possible with Disney. Follow along and help me make decisions and let me know if I forgot something.
Apologies in advance for not following the standard report format.

Who: Me, my partner, our 2 kids aged 7 and 8. The 8 year old will be turning 9 right before the trip.
Me - I love theme parks and rides. I love Disney Imagineering, storytelling, and history. I want to know all the facts and easter eggs. My dream is to do the tours and learn about everything behind the scenes. I would describe myself as a low key Disney person; I could go on a Disney trip once a year (along with other trips) but I don't really care about the movies (except Star Wars), food, resorts, or most characters (Please don't hate me). I do identify with Anna as a character so I guess she's my favourite. And Kylo Ren. Tall, dark, and handsome; deeply troubled, daddy issues, sign me up! My favourite rides are Guardians, TOT, and FOP.
I have a dark sense of humour, my favourite colours are black and baby pink, I love to travel and eat. I collect perfume, I shop too much, I enjoy reading however it takes me forever to finish a book. I love 90's hip hop, pilates, and staying in bed watching trashy reality tv. I work/worked in information science but I'm on a medical sabbatical. (more on that later)
My partner: Does not care about Disney (except Star Wars). Not a planner. He's a genius, he's the chillest person on the planet, he works in tech, he's hilarious and lets me be me. I've assigned him with the task of booking our transportation to and from airports.
The kids: they love Disney the same way that I do. They don't have a favourite character but they love seeing Mickey, Olaf, and Chewy. They love food and are very adventurous eaters. Their favourite rides are Guardians, 7DMT, Space Mountain, Everest... they love all roller coasters.
When: April 28th - May 11
What: 10 day park hopper plus. 9 park days, 1 water park day and a few rest days.
Where: AoA family suite. I'll take whatever they give us.
Why: What a silly question. I'm going to get a little personal and talk about some dark stuff so feel free to skip this part. I have struggled with mental health since I was 14. I've learned how to deal with it, I know my triggers, and I've been able to live a normal life with the help of meds and therapy. My life blew up in March 2020 and things got dark. There were some massive changes and heavy blows that occurred simultaneously and I just couldn't cope with it all. We had planned our first family Disney trip for June 2020 but you know why it didn't happen. We rescheduled it 3 times and finally made it in late 2022. So many things had changed since my last Disney trip in 2012 so I was researching and planning and trying to learn everything there was to learn. I found this place, I watched all the YouTube videos, and most importantly it was a tiny ray of hope and happiness throughout the darkness. I had something to look forward to. Things are a little bit better now. I wish my insurance would include Disney trips as a form of therapy.

Day 0 - travel day. Our flight leaves at 7:00am. My partner is the type of person who likes to get there exactly 3 hours before the boarding time, he will over estimate the travel time to the airport and give us 3 times the amount of time to get there. I am the type of person who likes to roll up an hour before boarding.
I hope to have everything packed and ready to go the night before. I’m such a procrastinator and I’m usually pulling an all nighter to do last minute laundry, packing, washing my hair, and doing house things. I won’t be able to sleep anyway so might as well do something productive.
My current plan is to bring 4 carry on rolly suitcases, 4 backpacks, and one large carry on that will only be ⅔ packed so there’s room for a few souvenirs.
We arrive at MCO around 10:30. I’m hoping to be able to pick up the luggage and get into a car and be at the resort by noon.
The only thing I have planned for arrival day is to unpack, get groceries, pickup our tickets, and relax at the pool after a very early morning.

Do I order through a grocery delivery service or do I take an Uber to the store. We don’t have Trader Joes so I have to go whenever we are in the states. I love looking at all the things and buying way too many snacks. I could just order food through an app but I might regret it. Plus it’s one more thing to plan and worry about on arrival day. But I would save so much time. It's a tough decision. What are some must eat items and what is overhyped at Trader Joes?
Tickets - super lame but since I bought the Canadian resident discount tickets I have to pick up physical copies at one of the parks or at Disney Springs. This annoys me deeply. I don’t know why I can’t just have everything on MDE and ready to go.

I might go to Disney Springs on the way to Trader Joes or we can take the skyliner to Epcot. My food plan for the day is to grab lunch at the resort QS, dinner will depend on the grocery plan. If I go shopping I will be too tired and we can order Taco Bell. I love TB, especially in America. We don’t have Mexican Pizzas or Baja Blast up here. It’s a guilty pleasure. If I order groceries I’ll have more time and energy to swing by Epcot and we can do a TS in the Boardwalk area. I’m thinking Beaches and Cream because of the peanut butter sundae, however nothing else really sounds that exciting to me.

I have another unpopular Disney opinion. The food is mid and all hype. Disney puts more effort into the vibes than the food. When we were there in 2022 I was so excited about food and I did so much research. There’s also the cost. We all know Disney food costs are insane, but it hurts deeply after the CAD/USD exchange rate.

Stay tuned for more planning dilemmas and indecisiveness!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter