My parents (the grandparents) going... Help!

mrsbballref

Mouseketeer
My brand new DH and I are planning on taking his
daughter, my new step-daughter (4 1/2 then), to WDW next
May. As we were telling my parents this, my mom
said that she and my dad would love to go just
to get to experience this with their new granddaughter.
They don't have any other grandchildren yet. They
treat my new DD just as their own. They are crazy
about her!

Here is the question... my parents seem to think that
they will be happy doing the parks with us whenever
we go, but I honestly think that they will get hot, frustrated
with the crowds and want a break from that. What
can I send them to do as a couple?

They do play golf. Does anyone have any experience
with the course(s) there? What is the price? What
else could they do? Neither of them are big shoppers,
so that is out. What else???

HELP!

My first question is at what hotel are you staying.
This is an important question for if you are staying at a monorail resort it will be really easy to include the grandparents.

Secondly, see your parents as an extension of you - meaning their taking care of them will allow you and your husband to spend time together by yourselves. Yes, I know this may be a family vacation, but two hours together while your parents take her to a character dinner or something would not hurt.

There are many golf courses there at Disney. One of them is a nine hole course, and I know they also have the famous magnolia golf course there

www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/golf_main.htm

Speaking as a grandmother, I second the suggestion that your parents might want to spend a little time alone with their new grandaughter while you and your husband go to some of the attractions your daughter might be too young for. A character meal sounds like a great idea. At my age, I'm also all for resting in the middle of the day - just going back to the hotel for a nap and a swim in the pool.

Although you will probably all want to be together much of the time, if you all assume that everyone can be on their own schedule, then the times you are together will feel like a choice and not an obligation. Rather than worrying about planning time for your parents, just assume that they can make good plans for themselves if they know they won't be offending you if they take some alone time, and you won't be offending them if you do the same. You might want to go as far as gathering some information for them, as you are doing for golf (poking around the different Disney hotels is also fun), but don't feel like you have to knock yourself out trying to entertain them. They'll find out soon enough on their own that going from early morning to late at night at the parks is exhausting! Then you can all go together when you want to do that, and split apart for other times. Nobody gets burned out trying to accomodate the needs of another generation 24/7, and everyone feels like they've had a real vacation.

By the way, we're also going to be in the World next May with our kids and grandkids! Our plan is to do a waterpark together the first day, visit the MK bright and early the next morning together with a PS for Cinderella's table for lunch, tentatively schedule one PS each day thereafter, but play the rest of trip by ear. Hope our plan works, because I really want everyone to leave feeling they've had a lot of fun and a minimum of stress. Have a great trip! ::MinnieMo

Just wanted to say this thread is traditional Disney sweetness. Sweeter than Saccharine!

I just said "awww" thinking about grandparents wanted to be so involved with their families! Everyone getting along, yet planning on doing their own things to make it special for everyone :) It sounds like some magical vacations are in the making!!

This is exactly why I'm so excited to plan a Disney vacation...You can customize as much or as little as you want, for individual needs :)

Enjoy your trip (s) !!!

~Mira

My response is: Your parents are adults and, as such, won't need anyone to "send" them for something to do.

You might provide them a guide book and/or brochures about Disney. They'll plan their own time together as well as with the family.

Have a wonderful vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter