my pottet orchid...

karinp

Earning My Ears
my lovely orchid lost all its flowers. does anyone know how long until they come back? it's looking all sad and miserable. should i do anything to bring it back to life or is it all a lost cause?

-karin

I used to grow a great variety of orchids when I lived in an apartment with great south exposure.

Without knowing what kind of orchid, let me caution you...

Moth orchids (phalenopsis), one that is very popular in stores rights now, are the most easy to grow and prefer indirect, but bright light. Water only when the top 2 inches of bark dries out, but place on a tray of pebbles and keep water in the tray just out of reach of the bottom of the pot. Fertilize only after done blooming, and only for one feeding. Mine used to send out sprays of blooms in fall and spring and last for months. But the more you fertize and "care" for these orchids the less they bloom. The plant has to be a little stressed to get them to pop a spray.

Other orchids, like dendrobiums, need more light than the phals. They also should only be fertilized after they are done blooming once. Don't water too much, but keep humidity high.

In my house, I don't have good growing conditions for orchids, but we just put in a garden window and I may try a few again.

-Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter