Mystery Bush Seen Yesterday at the AKL.

Virgo10

<font color=darkorchid>Really, this year there's n
This thing was gorgeous. Is there anyone here who knows what it is?

235256624.jpg

TIA! :goodvibes

No idea, I asked you over on the community board when you posted the pics if you knew what it was. It sure is gorgeous though and I'd love to have it but I'm sure it's tropical.

Looks like a Fuchsia..?:confused3

honeysuckle, trumpet vine? :confused3

I don't think it's any of those shep. I've had all 3 of those here.

I have no clue what it is though. :( I remember finding a book on the flora in AK back in 2001. Sadly, DH didn't think there was much point in buying it because we didn't find it until our last day of 10. If you get over there & it's not still blooming so you can ask a CM, you might try looking in the book.

Otherwise, if you have an email for AKL why don't you send them the photo and ask? They're so good about sharing recipes, I'm sure someone would answer you if you can find the right place to ask.

I'm pretty sure it IS a fuschia..... most people in the US are used to seeing little fuschias in hanging pots. I know I was surprised when I went to Ireland and saw them as 10' tall bushes.

I'm pretty sure it IS a fuschia..... most people in the US are used to seeing little fuschias in hanging pots. I know I was surprised when I went to Ireland and saw them as 10' tall bushes.

True, but the shape of the flower - and even the calyx - seems wrong.

It's like the first time you go to Florida & see a poinsettia in someone's yard. Potted plants don't prepare you for seeing them IRL! ;)

I think I saw the plant in question and took a flower that had fallen to the Behind the Seeds tour, and it was suggested that it was a trumpet vine. They more commonly bloom in yellow in Florida, but that was the guess.

Bobbi:goodvibes

It looks like something from the Bignoniaceae family, maybe a Bignonia or a Campsis, but I haven't found anything exactly like it in my wanderings.

This is a Bignonia "Dragon Lady"
crossvineBignonia.jpg

Jacaranda, same family....
jacaranda.jpg

And this is a triphylla-type fuchsia.
triphyllatypefuchsia.jpg

Because I'm now REALLY curious, I sent an e-mail to disneyworld.com and attached the picture. I hope they can forward it to a horticultural CM and we can find out what it is that I can NEVER grow in my neck of the woods!

And this is a triphylla-type fuchsia.
triphyllatypefuchsia.jpg

Because I'm now REALLY curious, I sent an e-mail to disneyworld.com and attached the picture. I hope they can forward it to a horticultural CM and we can find out what it is that I can NEVER grow in my neck of the woods!

Great! I hope you get an answer and pass it along. It's a beautiful flower!
Bobbi:goodvibes

Was just reading on another site about the F&G for my upcoming trip. What's different from last year etc. and they mentioned honeysuckle as being one of the many plants on display.... maybe it is honeysuckle. Now all I have to do is retrace my web steps today to find the link. brb

I'm back... oh it's me again not Glinda (my alter ego)

This is what I read earlier. Taken from DebWs newsletter
"-- More than 500 native butterflies representing up to 10 species reside in Minnie's Magnificent Butterfly Garden, a gazebo-type enclosure filled with lush plants and measuring more than 40 feet in diameter. Guests can stroll through the screened habitat to view the colorful butterflies. Among the garden's two dozen nectar plants are Cape Royal plumbago, passion flower, coral honeysuckle, blazing star, butterfly bush, scarlet milkweed and canna lily. Three butterfly topiaries are on display."

I think it's called Mother of Thousands because the stalk and branches produce hundreds (thousands?) of tiny seeds that you can gently scrape or pick off to make more plants. I've never seen one in bloom before. Gorgeous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter