Narrowing down some condo options for a large family of 7

Penmac

Mouseketeer
Hello!

Looking for some planning advice and can't think of a better place to ask! I am driving myself crazy making a choice on accommodation for our large family of 7 (5 kids ages 1-8). We are traveling in August 2017, and really need to be budget conscious. We like to visit Disney frequently, but with a large family we have to cut corners to make sure we can come back again. If it was a "once in a lifetime vacation" I would spend more $, but our goal is to enjoy Disney a few times while our kids are growing so we need to make cost effective choices. Bearing this in mind, we have ruled out staying onsite. We have also ruled out staying offsite in a suite hotel due to daily parking rates and limited space/no full kitchen (we are driving from the Northeast so will have a car). Our oldest is only 8 and we still have one in diapers, so feel we really need a condo to spread out a bit and be able to do laundry and cook for ourselves.

We have stayed at The Sheraton Vistana and Marriott Royal Palms in the past (Palms was a good deal through a friend's timeshare), but both are over our nightly budget for this trip. We want to stay around the $100/night mark. I would maybe be willing to go up to $125/night for a place that meets all our needs. I have narrowed down a few places and looking for some opinions. Dream condo would be Wyndham Bonnet Creek, but the cheapest I can find is $180 before tax, so not doable this time.

Windsor Hills- seems like it has a nice pool area, but are many of the units within waking distance to this pool or will we have to schlep 5 wet kids in and out of the car? Also heard rumors of a pool renovation.

Blue Heron- love the idea of being able to watch nightly fireworks, but the pool seems lacking here. We will probably have at least one full pool day and not sure this place will fit the bill. Since the condos are a bit dated, it would be nice to have an awesome pool to offset that.

Liki Tiki- Water park seems age appropriate for little ones. Assume the condos are basic, but would meet our needs. Is this a reasonable distance from the parks? We will probably come home for lunch and return in the evening for fireworks at least one night. Also noticed there are TONS of recreational activities onsite that we would not utilize while here since we are going to spend most time at the park. Will it be more chaotic than it's worth?

Any other recommendations? I really want to be close to the parks.... Possibly be able to watch fireworks, and have access to a good pool. Any advice appreciated!

Have you looked at Wyndham Bonnet Creek? It's the only place we stay.

Never mind - I should have read better! We usually get it for around $100/night, via Vacation Strategies.

Thank you! I will try Vacation Strategies. I was only looking on VRBO, Redweek and Airbnb.

try skyauction, we have used them several times and if you use the ready set go you can get something for around $300 for the week. We are thinking of using Summer Bay for our next trip to take our grandkids because the pool area looks great!

We stayed at Blue Herron a few years ago and you are right the pool is lacking. It is also shaded. We did like the condos there. The bunk beds were a nice feature.

We have also done houses with their own pools and those are nice. We took a big family trip with nine one year the pool house was nice.

I agree with PP. I think for your size crew, I would get a house. They have some nice ones in Kissimee that fall into your price range. Private pool, separate bedrooms, might be the best for you!

We've done several trips, but two with a large crew - 6 adults and four kids.

The first time we stayed at Liki Tiki and it was nice. The kids loved the water park and the drive was about 15 minutes to WDW. We had a lock-off so there was one unit with 2 bedrooms, and the other had 1. Some kids slept on a pull-out sofa. Plenty of space, with a door connecting us.

But the best thing we did was renting a house. It had five bedrooms. Each couple had their room and the kids were split between two rooms. The best part was the private pool in the back. VBRO has many options, but unfortunately there may not be as many available so close to your trip. I do not remember the area, but we found a house that was honestly 10-12 minutes away. So nice to come home after a long day and relax in your own pool.

Best of luck finding a place.

We've only stayed offsite once which was for our 2013 Disney trip. We stayed at Windsor Hills in a condo and loved it (kind of missed some of the condo amenities during our recent onsite trip, lol!). I just love that particular area Windsor Hills is in. Easy and quick drive to the parks (especially with that back way via Sherberth Road), plenty of nearby dining and shopping options, very family friendly since most of the timeshare and vacation home communities cater to vacationing families there for Disney and other Orlando area attractions/parks. Bonnet Creek seems very nice, especially since it is near Disney Springs; but the rental quote we got for a two bedroom unit through Vacation Strategies was a few hundred dollars more than the three bedroom Windsor Hills unit we got through Florida Sun Vacation Homes. I heard Windsor Hills has pool construction going on for the next few months (love their zero entry pool, and read they are putting in new water slides and new interactive water play/splash pad area :sunny:). If Windsor Hills is out of the question cause of the construction; there are other communities nearby. Next door to Windsor Hills is Crestwynd Bay which is primarily townhomes. Also close to Windsor Hills is Windsor Palms which has condos, town homes, and houses. If you are looking for a house with a private pool in that area, Indian Creek and Rolling Hills are other nice communities in addition to Windsor Hills (and the rates seem very competitive too on VRBO). Good luck :thumbsup2

Update! I still have not booked our hotel or bought our tickets yet! We are 8 weeks out. I am also doing a complete 180 on everything. Now considering a Cabin at Fort Wilderness through Undercover Tourist. It's still very pricey by our standards and will be less space that a condo at Windsor Hills, etc. Upside is daily housekeeping, and there is a full kitchen and what seems to be a legitimate laundry facility. What made me arrive at this decision is that my husband only wants to do 3 days in the parks. So, if we are driving 20 hours to FL and only doing 3 days of Magic, I want to be on property so we can spend our off days utilizing some nice Disneyish amenities, such as fireworks viewing area, movie under the stars, chip n dale campfire sing-a-long.. maybe taking the bus over to another resort for a dinner reservation.... Even if we are not in the parks the whole time, I want our kids to feel like they are getting a full Disney experience. I am now missing the window on 60 day fastpass reservations so I guess we need to figure this out by tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter