NBA at Walt Disney World

I hope so. I am not a sports fan and am also not appreciative of how their presence seems to have diverted Disney's attention from working to please ordinary guests.

Um money? Disney has been hemorrhaging cash for a few months. Hard not to try lure 300+ multi millionaires to stay at your resorts for 3 months

Barring a stay-at-home/shelter-in-place orders extending into 2021 (which, to be clear, isn't out of the question) *THIS* exact thing won't happen again, because even with limited fan capacity, teams will want to play in their home markets.

However, the NBA does -- under normal circumstances -- host an annual summer league event in Las Vegas. It's entirely possible that the league and Disney will use this unusual event as a test run for moving that event to WWOS on an annual basis (which would upset 99.9% of NBA media, but be very exciting for me). WWOS does already host the Jr. NBA Global Championship, so a lot of the logistics in running that event could be applies to Summer League as well.

Barring a stay-at-home/shelter-in-place orders extending into 2021 (which, to be clear, isn't out of the question) *THIS* exact thing won't happen again, because even with limited fan capacity, teams will want to play in their home markets.

However, the NBA does -- under normal circumstances -- host an annual summer league event in Las Vegas. It's entirely possible that the league and Disney will use this unusual event as a test run for moving that event to WWOS on an annual basis (which would upset 99.9% of NBA media, but be very exciting for me). WWOS does already host the Jr. NBA Global Championship, so a lot of the logistics in running that event could be applies to Summer League as well.

I'm pretty sure that moving summer league from Vegas to WDW would anger a lot of the players, too. As I understand it, many were excited at the prospect of Vegas being the location to restart this season/host playoffs, but WDW won out because of the bubble factor. You're not bubbling anything in Vegas...

Um money? Disney has been hemorrhaging cash for a few months. Hard not to try lure 300+ multi millionaires to stay at your resorts for 3 months
I doubt the players are paying for their accommodations. It's more than likely all covered by the NBA. The players won't be spending any of their own money unless they opt to pay for resort rooms for their families during the Playoffs.

We have a room booked at YC July 27-31 and I’m believing Disney’s going to move us to keep us away from the NBA folks. Had anyone in a similar situation been contacted about it yet?

I doubt the players are paying for their accommodations. It's more than likely all covered by the NBA. The players won't be spending any of their own money unless they opt to pay for resort rooms for their families during the Playoffs.
Actually the individual teams pay for accommodations while playing away games. I imagine this may be similar.

I would think that the teams will pay the lodging costs for their own staffs., though of course the cost is probably hugely discounted via the negotiation from NBA corporate. It would seem more likely to me that NBA corporate is probably picking up the tab for the athletic facility rentals, and for the "extras" that are being done for the entire group at the resorts, including special transportation.

No way are the players themselves paying for their rooms; this is a business trip like any other; the employer pays for the rooms, the meals, and a certain transportation cost. I could see the possibility of players being asked to pay for any special services that the hotel is doing for them that are not covered under their employment contracts; such as stocked room bars with their favorite brands.

I would think that the teams will pay the lodging costs for their own staffs., though of course the cost is probably hugely discounted via the negotiation from NBA corporate. It would seem more likely to me that NBA corporate is probably picking up the tab for the athletic facility rentals, and for the "extras" that are being done for the entire group at the resorts, including special transportation.

No way are the players themselves paying for their rooms; this is a business trip like any other; the employer pays for the rooms, the meals, and a certain transportation cost. I could see the possibility of players being asked to pay for any special services that the hotel is doing for them that are not covered under their employment contracts; such as stocked room bars with their favorite brands.

I suspect from a disney standpoint the NBA is paying the tab and then the NBA will charge individual teams for their portion. No the players are not paying unless they want their family/friends to come and they have to pick up the tab for those but again I bet they will be paying the NBA not disney.

They already have NBA summer league games in Orlando.

In my opinion the odds are 50/50 they actually start and finish their season as currently planned.
I don't think it's a big deal. We have 1000s of protesters in close quarters and nothing has happened.

If they have a true bubble then they will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter