Need 14 easy cheap delicious dinners

I'm loving this thread and I'm totally taking some recipes so I figured I'd add one of my own. We love tacos and taco salad, but sometimes we need a change up...that's when I make my grandma's Mexican Lasagna.

Prepare taco meat as usual - mix with 1 can refried beans (you could probably skip the beans, but I've never tried it without them) and "some" salsa - probably about a cup.

Start layering lasagna (either pre-boil noodles or use no-boil - either one is fine) - noodles, meat mixture, and cheese.

Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 (long enough to heat through and melt cheese - and cook noodles if using no-boil).

The more cheese you use, the gooey-er it is - I use a LOT of cheese, but cut back if you don't want it too slippery.

Still tastes great with lettuce/sour cream/salsa/etc. as garnish.

I saw this thread and thought how ironic! We are on a mission here , too! Between our grocery bill going crazy, wasted food that never gets used and our sad bored taste buds we have put together a four week menu that requires one monthly grocery trip. DH can swing by the store on the way home from work for milk and eggs and bananas as needed weekly/bi-monthly.
Here is our menu for 4 weeks starting Monday. The kids and I eat left overs, sandwiches, fruit, cut up veggies for lunch. We throw in hotdogs, pizza made from hamburger buns, quesadillas, etc. to mix it up. LOL!

week 1

beef tacos/mexican rice a roni
Lipton noodle soup w/ grilled cheese
tuscani pasta, salad and bread
grilled chicken, fruit salad and a veggie
Pizza night
leftovers
chicken quesadillas, green salad, jello w/fruit

week 2

nacho chicken casserole, salad
crock pot veg soup w/ corn bread
spaghetti, salad, breadsticks
leftovers
4th of july weekend-
picnic lunch of sub sandwich, veggie sticks, etc.
night at the carnival so we will eat there-love fair food!
grilled hotdogs/chips/jello salad

week 3

chicken tacos, corn on the cob, fruit
sloppy joes and chips
grilled pork chops, sweet potato
turkey/bacon panini, watergate salad
grilled burgers, veggie pasta salad
left overs
soup/sandwhich

week 4

taco salad, jello fruit salad
chicken satay over rice
fettucine, breadsticks, green salad
mexican lasagne using tortillas, choc. cake(dd12 leaves for camp this week so this is her special dinner of choice)
leftovers
soup/sandwhich
pizza, salad

These are a few easy things I do:

Chicken Pot Pie
1 Deep Dish Pie Crust
1 can mixed veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
can of chicken or you can boil some

drain can of veggies and pour in crust. Season this. layer chicken on top of veggies and then layer the soup on top of that. Bake at 350 until crust is brown and mixture is bubbling.

My Mom used to brown hamburger meat and season and add can of mixed veggies. She would toast bread and then put the mixture on top. I ate mine with ketchup...yummy!!!

I made this one up. I put crescent rolls in bottom of a dish and then put can of cream of chicken and chicken on top. Layer with more crescent rolls and bake. (I use one can of the rolls and take each "side" for top and bottom.

Layer pork chops, onions, choppped potatoes and stick of butter. Bake until potatoes are tender. Season well.

I will keep thinking.

Easy Beef Stroganoff

Measurements are somewhat approximate. Also, most people would add mushrooms at the same time the onions are browned. Being allergic, I left that out.

Ingredients

1/2 large sweet onion (sliced and quartered)
2 tbs butter (divided into 1 tbs pats)
1/2 pound roast beef (sliced from the deli counter then cut into strips at home)
~1/3 cup flour (mix in some pepper and garlic powder)
1/2 cup red wine
1 can beef broth
1 cup sour cream
~1 tbs worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Egg noodles (cooked)

Directions

1. Heat pan, melt 1 tbs butter, brown onions
2. While the onions brown...Cut up meat and dredge in the flour
3. Put 1tbs butter in pan with onions (most of the original butter should be soaked up by the onions by now)
4. Brown the meat
5. Deglaze the pan with the wine and cook for about 3 mins.
6. Pour in beef broth and stir.
7. Let the broth heat a little, then add the sour cream
8. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer uncovered for about 15-20 mins. Just check the consistency as you go, stirring frequently. Taste about 10 mins in to see if you want to add salt or pepper.
9. When it is a good consistency, add worcestershire sauce. I think I added more than 1 tbs.
10. Take off the stove and let sit for 5 mins. Serve over noodles.

This is clearly not a "light" version. However, I think you could use olive oil instead of butter and lowfat or fatfree sour cream instead of regular. I would put this with peas or a salad for a complete meal.

I make my chicken pot pie very similar, but I add a handful of shredded cheese to the veggie/meat and a few shakes of Cavenders Seasonings. Then I top it with a Bisquick pour on crust. Mix up enough Bisquick and milk to make it pourable, but not really thin. Add a bit more shredded cheese, if you wish and some garlic powder. DH LOVES it.

These are a few easy things I do:

Chicken Pot Pie
1 Deep Dish Pie Crust
1 can mixed veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
can of chicken or you can boil some

drain can of veggies and pour in crust. Season this. layer chicken on top of veggies and then layer the soup on top of that. Bake at 350 until crust is brown and mixture is bubbling.

My Mom used to brown hamburger meat and season and add can of mixed veggies. She would toast bread and then put the mixture on top. I ate mine with ketchup...yummy!!!

I made this one up. I put crescent rolls in bottom of a dish and then put can of cream of chicken and chicken on top. Layer with more crescent rolls and bake. (I use one can of the rolls and take each "side" for top and bottom.

Layer pork chops, onions, choppped potatoes and stick of butter. Bake until potatoes are tender. Season well.

I will keep thinking.

I have a master list of dishes that I work from. I try to add a new recipe at least every few weeks. Some of the items are seasonal and some are just not healthy enough to eat too often (though they are yummy enough).

I also try to do at least one meatless meal each week. We are not vegetarians, nor do we desire to be, but it is a frugal and healthy choice.

Baked Chicken Breast - Corn, Mashed Potatoes, Salad
BBQ Chicken - Calico Potatoes, Salad
Vegetable Beef Soup - Corn Bread Muffins
Parmesan Chicken - Pasta, Salad
Tuna Noodle Casserole - Peas, Salad
Red Beans & Rice - Raw Veggies
Meatloaf - Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Salad
Spaghetti - Garlic Bread, Salad
Tacos
Hamburgers - French Fries or Cheese Dip
Pizza
Chili - Corn Bread Muffins
Steak - Baked Potato, Salad
BBQ Ribs - Mashed Potatoes, Vegetable, Salad
Potato Soup
Breakfast - Omelets
Ham & Beans - Corn Bread Muffins, Veggie, Salad
Chicken & Rice - Veggie, Salad
Chicken & Dressing - Veggie, Salad
Lasagna - Corn, Salad, Garlic Bread
Cashew Chicken - Veggies, Egg Roll
Pork Chops w/ cream of mushroom soup - Mashed Potatoes, Veggie, Salad
Manwiches - tortilla chips, corn
Italian Sandwiches (my version of a sloppy Joe w/ an Italian twist -
Creamy Stuffed Shells - Garlic Bread, Salad
Swiss Steak - Veggie
Roast - Potatoes, Carrots, Biscuits
Taco Salad
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Alfredo w/ egg noodles
Fettuccini Alfredo
Baked Beans w/ Polish Sausage & Rice
Hamburger Steaks
Grilled Chicken Salad
Chicken Fajitas
Pork Chops w/ mushroom soup & cheese soup - crock pot
Deer Steak
Chicken & Rice Soup
Tomato Basil & Spinach Soup
Tortellini & Chicken salad
Enchiladas - Beef or Chicken
Jambalaya
Ham & Potatoes Au Gratin
Taco Soup
pork BBQ sandwiches
Chicken Pot Pie
Amazing Chicken
Black Bean & Rice Burritos
Pork Steaks
Chicken Breast w/pasta and marinara sauce
Chicken Sandwiches aka Chicken Burgers
Rotel Chicken & Rice
Baked Potatoes w/ Assorted toppings
Chicken 'n Stars soup

Rotel Chicken & Rice Casserole

1 to 1.5 cups (before cooking) of rice cooked according to package ingredients - I like to steam mine in the microwave while I am getting the rest of this dish ready.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium onion - diced
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup I use the fat free version
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup I use the fat free version
1 can of rotel tomatoes

While rice is cooking, sautee chicken and onion in a bit of olive oil, when cooked through add rotel and cream soups. Mix well.

In an oiled casserole dish, layer rice, chicken mix and cheese. Repeat.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Great alone or on tortillas as a burrito type filling.

This recipe makes a lot! Tons of leftovers for us.

This is not quite the same as Springfield Style Cashew Chicken (it doesn't have oyster sauce), but it is close and can be made with ingredients most people have on hand.

Cashew Chicken

2 lb chicken - boneless skinless
1 egg
½ cup of water
½ cup of milk
Salt & pepper
Flour
Cashews
3-4 green onions
3 cups of chicken broth
2 tbs corn starch
2 tbs soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
Pepper

Cut chicken into small pieces. Marinate in egg, water and milk. Roll in flour - seasoned with salt and pepper, and fry. (or buy prebreaded chicken nuggets)

Mix chicken broth, corn starch, soy sauce, sugar and pepper. Cook until thickened.

Serve over rice and top with green onions and cashews.

Thank you!!:thumbsup2

Easy Beef Stroganoff

Measurements are somewhat approximate. Also, most people would add mushrooms at the same time the onions are browned. Being allergic, I left that out.

Ingredients

1/2 pound roast beef (sliced from the deli counter then cut into strips at home)
1/2 cup red wine
1 can beef broth
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
Egg noodles (cooked)

Directions

3. Put 1tbs butter in pan with onions (most of the original butter should be soaked up by the onions by now)
4. Brown the meat
8. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer uncovered for about 15-20 mins. Just check the consistency as you go, stirring frequently. Taste about 10 mins in to see if you want to add salt or pepper.
9. When it is a good consistency, add worcestershire sauce. I think I added more than 1 tbs.

This is clearly not a "light" version. However, I think you could use olive oil instead of butter and lowfat or fatfree sour cream instead of regular. I would put this with peas or a salad for a complete meal.

Rotel Chicken & Rice Casserole

1 to 1.5 cups (before cooking) of rice cooked according to package ingredients - I like to steam mine in the microwave while I am getting the rest of this dish ready.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium onion - diced
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup I use the fat free version
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup I use the fat free version
1 can of rotel tomatoes

While rice is cooking, sautee chicken and onion in a bit of olive oil, when cooked through add rotel and cream soups. Mix well.

In an oiled casserole dish, layer rice, chicken mix and cheese. Repeat.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Great alone or on tortillas as a burrito type filling.

This recipe makes a lot! Tons of leftovers for us.

Oh, this sounds yummy! I'm gonna have to try it this way since I LOVE rice!

One of my kids favorite is Chicken Spaghetti. It is basically the same as this, but I use 16 oz of thin spaghetti (instead of rice) and 4 - 6 oz of velvetta cheese (instead of chedddar cheese). Mix all the ingredients together and bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes (until velvetta cheese is completely melted). It is SO good! And OP, thanks for the post! :thumbsup2 I am lovin' this thread!

These are my 2 'go-to' recipes when I know we're going to have company & we're going to be very busy. Both make a lot, are easy & freeze well.

Slow Cooker Taco Soup: I don't add the corn & just save the crumbs & broken bits from bags of tortilla chips to put in the bottom of the soup bowl before I ladle the soup on top. If you're concerned about sodium, I've found low-sodium versions of almost all the ingredients.

Slow Cooker Italian Beef for Sandwiches: What I love about this is that it is incredibly easy. I put the beef in the crockpot, put the water on to boil & add the seasonings as its coming to a boil & then dump it on the beef, cover & walk away. Its great on hoagie rolls with provalone cheese.

Here is my version of Homemade Sloppy Joes:

1 lb ground beef
Finely Diced onion (optional-to taste)
1 cup catsup
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
1/8 cup brown sugar or a little more to taste
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce

Brown meat and onion, drain well. Then add rest of ingredients, stir well, and simmer at least 15 minutes.

Serve on buns/rolls

What I usually do is while I am browning the meat, I measure the catsup in a 2 cup measuring cup, and then add the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix. Easy Clean-up!

Here is my version of Homemade Sloppy Joes:

1 lb ground beef
Finely Diced onion (optional-to taste)
1 cup catsup
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
1/8 cup brown sugar or a little more to taste
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce

Brown meat and onion, drain well. Then add rest of ingredients, stir well, and simmer at least 15 minutes.

Serve on buns/rolls

Wow I make homemade sloppys joes too and it is very similar to this and very delicious.

1 lb ground beef
Finely Diced green pepper about 2 tablespoons and can be optional
1 c ketchup
1/2 c water
1/8 c brown sugar
1 Tbs ground mustard (or yellow if you dont have ground)

Next time i will try the worcestershire : )

Mock Stroganoff - Hamburger Version!!

1# ground beef (I use 90-95% lean so I need to include the next item)
1/2 package dry beef or au ju gravy mix (no need if using 80% or less beef)**
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 - 1 cup milk
2 large dollops sour cream

Brown your beef in the pan w/gravy mix. Don't worry about the bottom of the pan browning as you will deglaze it next. Stir and break up meat so that it is uniform. *go here if 90% or higher **go here for 85% or lower

*once meat is finished cooked keep heat on high and mix in flour thoroughly. The flour will no longer be white. Add just enough milk to de-glaze the pan. I use a wooden spatula that works wonders. Once de-glazed add milk in 1/4 cup increments until you have a gravy formed. Add more milk if the gravy is very thick. Turn off heat. Dollop in the sour cream. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.

**once meat is finished cooked, drain any extra grease. Put pan back on high heat and mix in flour thoroughly. The flour will no longer be white. Add just enough milk to de-glaze the pan. I use a wooden spatula that works wonders. Once de-glazed add milk in 1/4 cup increments until you have a gravy formed. Add more milk if the gravy is very thick. Turn off heat. Dollop in the sour cream. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.

I use low-fat sour cream. And a side note 4oz. of ground beef has 8gram fat, so don't freak when you see the totals. Most people do not realize this!!

Nutrition Facts

4 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 197.6

Total Fat 9.3 g
Saturated Fat 3.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g

Cholesterol 69.5 mg

Sodium 260.3 mg

Potassium 59.6 mg

Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g

Dietary Fiber 0.0 g

Sugars 1.6 g

Protein 25.4 g

Vitamin A 1.9 %
Vitamin B-12 2.7 %
Vitamin B-6 0.8 %
Vitamin C 0.1 %
Vitamin D 4.0 %
Vitamin E 0.2 %
Calcium 4.6 %
Copper 0.3 %
Folate 0.9 %
Iron 0.9 %
Magnesium 1.2 %
Manganese 0.3 %
Niacin 0.5 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.4 %
Phosphorus 3.8 %
Riboflavin 4.3 %
Selenium 1.8 %
Thiamin 1.1 %
Zinc 1.2 %

Easy Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients

1/2 cup red wine
1 can beef broth
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
Egg noodles (cooked)

Directions

4. Brown the meat

this is similar to the way i make stroganoff but i have to ask-is'nt it more expensive to use deli roast beef? the cheapest on sale i ever see it (and it's been a long time) is around $5.00 per pound so that 1/2 pound would run $2.50-i wait until london broil is on sale for $1.99 per pound (still happens quite a bit despite meat price increases), slice it thin and end up paying less for twice the meat.

here's some suggestions from our house-

we rotissery our own chicken (bbq has an attachment), we do 2 (family of 4) and the next day i make chicken salad (for sandwiches)

deluxe green been casserole-follow the recipie on the durkey package but add pre-cooked chunks of chicken (and if you like an added crunch-a can of sliced water chestnuts)

salmon/rice salad (stole this one from the local high end deli)-bake a couple of salmon filets, while it's cooking set up rice cooker with a combo of white and wild rice (do half of each for amount you want)-put in a shade less water than cooker calls for but add a few tablespoons of butter, a quarter cup chopped onion, seasonings-salt, pepper, dill, parsley. when salmon is done chop up and add to now finished rice along with one drained can of carrots/peas. allow to chill. this is great to take to work for lunch or have over a sliced tomato.

soup-i get soup starter on sale but never make it according to the recipie. whatever beef is leftover in the fridge goes in along with the dibs and dabs of veggies or a can of veg-all. add some tomato sauce, oregano and red wine and you've got a nice minnestrone (takes 30 minutes tops).

i do double duty on left overs-if the pork roast is'nt finished off by the end of the second nite it will get frozen and chopped up on a later date in baked beans, if the meatloaf is'nt gone it's frozen for future sandwiches (slice and freeze) including 'mock meatball'-put on bread with jarred spagetti sauce (heck-it's the same ingredients give or take), if there's a steak left over it goes into a sandwich baggie so we can have steak and eggs one morning (we've gotten realy big on breakfast foods recently so i keep potatos, eggs and breakfast brown and serve sausages on hand at all times). i'm also big on tossing unused portions of bread products in the freezer. if there are left over dinner bisquits i put them in a zip lock and pull the out for bisquits and gravy, the couple of burgar or hot dog buns i always have left from every pack i toss into one bag in the freezer until i have enough to pull out instead of a full/new pack.

Not a recipe, but we have ham steaks and beans some nights with a salad or veggie. Nice and quick meal. No leftovers.

Probably not all that healthy, but we like this and it's super easy if you cook a pound of ground beef ahead and throw it in the freezer. There's some debate in our house about what it's called so here is:

Guru Casserole/hamburger and rice casserole/ mock chow mein

1 lb ground beef (cooked)
1 1/2 cup uncooked rice
2 small onions chopped (I leave these out cause DH watches me cook; my DMIL uses onion flakes and he never knows the difference)
1/4 c soy sauce
1 can cream of ____ soup (original recipe says mushroom or celery; we like potato)
2 cups water

Place uncooked rice in bottom of 8X8 baking pan; Preheat oven to 350.
On stovetop, mix all other ingredients until heated thoroughly.
Pour over rice (do not stir.)
Bake for one hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter