Need help with Ariel cake-red frosting.

DizzyKitten

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
Hi everyone. I'm making an Ariel cake for a friend's daughter and I'm not quite sure about the frosting. I think I remember reading somewhere that in order to get a true red frosting you need to start with chocolate and add the red color. Adding red to white or vanilla will only give you pink.

Does anyone else know if this is true?

Thanks. :goodvibes

You can use the Wilton color paste to get a true red. It may take quite a bit, but you can do it. Be prepared for it to turn lips and tongues red though :).

The best and easiest way to get a good red is to use Americolor gel color in Super Red! You don't have to use as much as wilton pastes. The only downside is that you can't get it at Michael's, Joann, or the grocery store. You have to get it online or at a cake supply. It is worth it, though!

You can use the Wilton color paste to get a true red. It may take quite a bit, but you can do it. Be prepared for it to turn lips and tongues red though :).

Does the no-taste red do that or just the regular red paste? My only problem is whether I should start with choc or white/vanilla. I'm just scared that it will be pink instead of red.

The best and easiest way to get a good red is to use Americolor gel color in Super Red! You don't have to use as much as wilton pastes. The only downside is that you can't get it at Michael's, Joann, or the grocery store. You have to get it online or at a cake supply. It is worth it, though!

Oh, I've never heard of Americolor. Too bad I can't get it at the hobby stores. I don't have enough to time to order it. I'll try to remember that next time I'm making a cake.

Thanks.

No Taste Red will do it. I don't have time to scan it in, but I made a Pooh cake for my DS when he was little and the colors are very vivid. It took a lot of the dye, but it made a beautiful red frosting. I would start with white frosting because the chocolate will have a muddy look to it.

No Taste Red will do it. I don't have time to scan it in, but I made a Pooh cake for my DS when he was little and the colors are very vivid. It took a lot of the dye, but it made a beautiful red frosting. I would start with white frosting because the chocolate will have a muddy look to it.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try the white frosting. I do have a full jar of the no taste red in my pantry.

Good luck! It will look pink for a long time, but you will eventually get red. I am sure it will be a beautiful cake.

You will get red eventually even if you use white icing. It takes a lot. A word of warning...not only does it dye teeth and tongues red but when one goes for a bowel movement later... Warn your guests or they might think they are dying.

I'm quite serious even though the topic isn't too pleasant,
Suzanne

You will get red eventually even if you use white icing. It takes a lot. A word of warning...not only does it dye teeth and tongues red but when one goes for a bowel movement later... Warn your guests or they might think they are dying.

I'm quite serious even though the topic isn't too pleasant,
Suzanne

That is a scary thought but I'll issue the warning...discreetly, of course.:lmao:

Yes a discreet warning would definitely be better than an announcement before everyone ate. :rotfl2:

That reminds me of the free cake the local grocery store gave out for 1st birthdays. When my son turned 1 we got the free cake for him to dig into on his own and it had balloons on it made of very bright colored frosting. He ate a ton of it and he ended up pooping technicolor for 2 days afterward. It was so gross and totally funny at the same time. I made sure to warn all my friends who got the same cake though. I think we could have a whole thread about kid poo... I have a list of things I warn new moms about (things I learned the hard way) like bananas, red Kool-Aid and black olives.

That reminds me of the free cake the local grocery store gave out for 1st birthdays. When my son turned 1 we got the free cake for him to dig into on his own and it had balloons on it made of very bright colored frosting. He ate a ton of it and he ended up pooping technicolor for 2 days afterward. It was so gross and totally funny at the same time. I made sure to warn all my friends who got the same cake though. I think we could have a whole thread about kid poo... I have a list of things I warn new moms about (things I learned the hard way) like bananas, red Kool-Aid and black olives.

Oh I know what you mean. I would add apple juice to that list too. :sad2:

grape kool aid makes poop green...:scared: LOL

can't wait to see the cake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter