Need Ideas for a Long Con Surprise

aubs04783

Earning My Ears
Hello, all!

I am taking my kids to Disneyland in August and am racking my brain trying to figure out a way to surprise them. The ages are 16, 12, and 7. They all love being surprised. I've surprised them before, but I want to mix it up and drop clues and hints in the couple months leading up to the trip, without giving away enough that they figure it out....thus, the long con.
Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help!

Trips to see the Lion King and Aladdin (when does Toy Story 4 come out?)

Mickey pancakes

New Disney water bottles

A 1,000 piece Star Wars puzzle that you work on putting together as a family

Dinner table talk about your favorite Disney trip memory

Listen to Disney music in the car

Set your phone ring tone to the Star Wars theme or the cantina song

Try to bake the Matterhorn macarons at home (even if you fail, it will still be fun and they’ll taste good anyway!)

Use food coloring to make blue or green milkshakes from vanilla ice cream

Maybe working on putting together some fun Disney Bound outfits for favorite characters, rides, in park snacks, etc.? You can have the outfits be as creative and imaginative as you'd like, and thus more challenging to put together. If you and the kids are crafty, you can try making the outfits from scratch or just have fun rummaging through closets and thrift shops, clearance racks, and dollar stores to find things. Maybe some Star Wars themed Bounds? Then, come August, your kids will have some great outfits to wear to the parks!

I love the idea of just working on various Disney puzzles - and having the last puzzle you do be the map of Disneyland one!
You could have a custom puzzle made that says, "We're going to Disneyland!" or "Light speed to Batuu!" with the trip dates or something like that -- and. make that the last puzzle!

When my daughter was unaware we were heading to Disneyland for her 8th bday, we spent maybe 2 or 3 months talking about what she wants to do at Disneyland when she's 9.... So she unknowingly planned most of her dream Disneyland vacation!

Edited to add: I went nuts with it--we bought travel toiletries, clothes, shoes, luggage all for the trip that she thought was more than a year away. I giggled so much every time I bought something for that trip. My poor, sweet, oblivious little girl :)

When my daughter was unaware we were heading to Disneyland for her 8th bday, we spent maybe 2 or 3 months talking about what she wants to do at Disneyland when she's 9.... So she unknowingly planned most of her dream Disneyland vacation!

Edited to add: I went nuts with it--we bought travel toiletries, clothes, shoes, luggage all for the trip that she thought was more than a year away. I giggled so much every time I bought something for that trip. My poor, sweet, oblivious little girl :)
Love it! I hope you got lots of photos of the reveal!

Last year for her 10th, we picked her up from school the day before her bday. "Dad has business to do so we're going along with him." Jump into the car and start driving...a looong way! "Are we going to be back in time for bedtime?" "Sure." "Hey, this gas station looks familiar, like the time we went to DL." **doh!** "Huh, there's the sign for DL." "Well, would you look at that." Drive up to DL hotel...."Wuuuuuuut?!?!?!" We got her good! :rotfl:

This is such a good idea! We're planning a surprise for DD's 6th birthday but we've always told her we'd go back for her 7th. I think I'll piggy back your idea and ask her about some things she wants to do when she's 7.

Love it! I hope you got lots of photos of the reveal!
She cried... Sad/mad tears crying. Told everyone at her birthday party reveal (the evening before leaving) that it was a mean joke. It took 6 adults promising that it was true, and Grampa telling her he would be picking us up in the morning for her to believe it was true.

.... We don't do surprises with her after that. Her need to know and adjust expectations/plans just doesn't allow for it, apparently!

Reactions: EmJ
She cried... Sad/mad tears crying. Told everyone at her birthday party reveal (the evening before leaving) that it was a mean joke. It took 6 adults promising that it was true, and Grampa telling her he would be picking us up in the morning for her to believe it was true.

.... We don't do surprises with her after that. Her need to know and adjust expectations/plans just doesn't allow for it, apparently!

Oh no! Poor thing.

I would probably react the same way. I need time to process things and plan things in my head. I hope she was able to enjoy herself once you got there.

My little is a spontaneous, go with the flow kid when fun is involved. Sometimes I wonder if we're really related.

This is such a good idea! We're planning a surprise for DD's 6th birthday but we've always told her we'd go back for her 7th. I think I'll piggy back your idea and ask her about some things she wants to do when she's 7.
It was seriously fun... "Oh, look, a suitcase! That would be great to take to Disneyland when you are 9!" "Let's get toiletries for our Disneyland trip when you turn 9!" "Do you like this outfit? Let's put it in the new suitcase so we'll be all packed when you turn 9." .... I wish she liked surprises! Haha!

Oh no! Poor thing.

I would probably react the same way. I need time to process things and plan things in my head. I hope she was able to enjoy herself once you got there.

My little is a spontaneous, go with the flow kid when fun is involved. Sometimes I wonder if we're really related.
She loved every part of it as soon as Grampa got there the next morning to take us to the airport. It was very much an "everything yes" trip, so it was great fun.

We did a surprise trip once too and one of my sons reacted that way. We told the kids we were going somewhere close (and sort of boring) and then went to the airport. DS burst into tears and said he wanted to go to the lame location! We had a great time, though. Now he gets plenty of notice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter