• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need lodging advice quick!

Tracyee

Earning My Ears
I need help quick. We had reservations for Shades of Green 4/30 to 5/4. My hubby just emailed me to say that his leave has been moved up to next week 4/26 and will deply on May 6th to Iraq. Shadses of green is sold out for next week and they are offering Port Orleans Resort for $149+ per night. We were only going to be paying $97 per night (no tax) at shades of Green.

Our 7 year old son is confined to a wheelchair and we will also have our 5 year old daughter with us. What are the thoughts that you all have about the POR? What other resort may be good for us. Ideally we need a refrigerator for my son's meds and formula (tube feeds) but I am willing to pay extra for the fridge.

Thanks for everyone's quick response.

That resort is very nice and while I do not have anyone in a wheelchair, I know that it seems very wheelchair friendly. I am not sure about the fridge, but I am sure they can get you one if you need it. I think that rate is okay, not great, but okay. I would say that if you can purchase one AP and get the discount, if possible, with that...it would save you money in the end. My husband got an AP this year and we are saving alot this year...plus you get discounts at some of the restraurants, etc with the AP.

Good luck...and thank your husband for all that he does in helping to protect our country!!! God bless him and your family while he is away in iraq!!! :wave2:

Sorry to hear about your need to change plans.
Here's some pixie dust for a wonderful trip (and lots of good memories) for your family and hope the time while your DH is gone goes quickly and safely.

We stayed at POR many times before we bought into OKW. It's a very nice resort, with a nice food court. It's well themed to a sort of river county bayoo theme.
There are some wooden bridges/walks at the resort. We have not had any problems with them, but some people who were pushing adults in wheelchairs found it difficult to push.
Some of the entries into the Hospitality House area have steps and don't look accessible, but look around and you will find a ramp near each entrance if there are steps.
One of the nice to do things at that resort is the boat (wheelchair accessible) that goes between the resort and DD.
The refrigerator should be provided free of change for medical reasons. If you do get charged, as to speak to the manager and explain your DS's needs.
If you would be able to get into one of the MK area resorts (Contemporary, GF, Polynesian), the monorail access makes it very convenient to get to the parkls. But those are deluxe resorts and would be more expensive.
here's a
link to the POR Riverside page on the DIS site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter