Need some Poly convincing

margot31

DIS Veteran
Looks like the options of resorts is a little small for what my credit cards wants to spend....I can get a DVC privately at the Poly. The poly hasn't been one I want to stay at but it would help complete the which resorts have I yet to stay at. This trip will be for my 40th Birthday and it will be my own fairy godmother and I going.

What makes it your favorite?

Also how comfortable are the Murphy beds?

Last edited:
I’ve only stayed at the Poly once, for my dd21st bday, but I visit the Poly at least once every trip. The whole atmosphere is relaxing. We loved the second bathroom in the DVC studio we had.

I stayed at Poly for the first time last September. Me & a friend stayed in a DVC studio for a quick girl's trip. We were in Pago Pago. The studio was perfect for us! The extra bathroom gave us each our own space to get ready! I was a bit disappointed in the location at first, but we were so close to TTC that it ended up being perfect!

The entire time we were there, I was wishing DH was there. It has been a dream of mine to stay at Poly for a very long time. I was just never able to catch a discount or I would book it & then have buyers remorse, lol. The resort really takes you away to paradise. It is such a peaceful, laid back vibe. DH is going with me this year & we are staying Poly CL. I hesitate to call Poly my favorite resort only because our first deluxe stay was at BWI & we had a perfect view of the boardwalk. Poly is right there though & I'm hoping getting to experience Poly w/ DH will knock it into our #1 spot.

First and foremost Happy early Birthday! So fun to celebrate at WDW.

Honestly I think every resort has its good and bad depending on the person and what the goal of the trip is. If you want to feel like you are in Hawaii with feet in the sand and a cocktail in hand as Hawaiian music is playing on the patio and tiki torches a flame at night this is your place! Grab a Lapu Lapu or a Dole While to see the MK fireworks from the chairs on the beach. Plus you are but a boat or monorail away from MK or a quick walk to the TC to get to EPCOT.

My family has never once complained about the Murphy beds even when we stayed at other resorts not deluxe that have these.

The DVC space is large and spacious and honestly I like their location away from all the hustle and bustle plus closer to the TC walkway and buses if so inclined.

For us the biggest con is the busy main hall but once the night dies down and people not of the resort go back to their own resorts peace resumes much like you will find in the morning.

Personally if I was you I would get a cabana at the 'quiet pool' and enjoy the space and the pool bar service while you lounge in the shade or enjoy the pool : ) Happy Birthday again!

Personally if I was you I would get a cabana at the 'quiet pool' and enjoy the space and the pool bar service while you lounge in the shade or enjoy the pool : ) Happy Birthday again!
Just a small clarification for others reading this thread. There are no cabanas at the Oasis "quite" pool just 3 very nice Patios.

The Patios accommodate up to 6 Guests and are available for rent on a first-come, first-served basis to Guests of Disney's Polynesian Resort only. For advance reservations and pricing information, call (407) WDW-PLAY [(407) 939-7529].

Dave

What makes it your favorite?

Practicality: absolutely fantastic transportation, the best of the monorail resorts imo. Multiple ways to get home from the most annoying park to leave. Being able to catch the Epcot monorail direct with a 5 minute walk is insanely cool and imo more than offsets the much longer and more impractical walk it has to MK compared to GF and CR (and it's not even possible atm because of construction). I have always had excellent bus service there too, which isn't something I can say for other resorts. Commuting to MK in the morning for rope drop is so unbelievably pleasant because Kona Island is right there before the monorail station, so you can grab your coffee or w/e and just go. Say you're too tired to go into MK for the evening, being able to just grab a dole whip from Pineapple Lanai, watch the show, and walk back to your room after watching fireworks from the beach is so incredible. Basically everything that makes the Poly so fun to visit is even better when you're a guest there, even 'Ohana is easier to get into when you do thanks to a policy change a couple years back. But you also have easy access to a ton of great dining and shopping right next door at GF, and Steakhouse 71/Cali Grill is a short monorail ride away.

Oasis patios are a steal for what you get especially now that you get snacks and beverages with them. The Oasis pool in general is actually my favorite on property, even more than the feature pools pretty much anywhere except maybe GF.

The subjective: god tier immersive theming. the Poly really gives you that "I'm on vacation!" feeling as soon as you arrive. A beautiful view of the castle. The entrance is stunning, the lobby smell so lovely. I love the history of the place as a Disney geek...there's not much of the old school Vacation Kingdom of the World vibe left anymore around WDW, but the Poly's got it in spades. There's an "It" factor to the resort that I've not felt anywhere else. Yes, it can get bustling at busy times, but it's also very peaceful most other times. An odd but pleasing mix of kinetic energy and tranquility. Boutiki is the best resort gift shop on property imo. Some of my favorite resort food anywhere at these restaurants (my favorite breakfast is the Loco Moco at Kona Cafe, and if you ask they will still make it for you with real meat instead of the soylent green listed on the menu). The Oasis pool bar is better than most QS at other resorts.The blend of retro and modern decor and design. The Moana rooms are my favorite on property, though that's on the cash side. Lovely, lovely CMs.

Cons: the price, obviously, is the biggest one. I badly miss the Twilight Feast. The Lava Pool is people soup most of the time (we tend to do the Grandpa Simpson meme whenever we forget this and attempt it). They keep chipping away at what makes it special. But these are minor issues in the scheme of things imo.

I'll put it this way, I spent my 40th at the GF, and absolutely do not regret it because I had an absolutely magical trip despite it being the peak of pandemic weird Disney. GF became my other favorite resort, a very close second. But if it had been an option, I'd have spent it at the Poly in a heartbeat. (Instead, I just got my favorite meatballs from Capt. Cook's.)

I am a big fan of the more heavily themed resorts - Polynesian fits that bill. If you like the kitschy vibes of old school Disney then you'll love it too. If you're more of a fan of sleek European vibes then it may just be meh for you and not worth the cash.

The location is excellent (Monorail to MK and Epcot, view of fireworks, lots of restaurant options in easy distance). The food at the Poly restaurants is really good but your also just a quick skip to Epcot, Grand Floridian (walkable), and Contemporary if you prefer those options too. Not sure what time of year you are going, but I tend to travel off peak and haven't found the pools to be overcrowded the way others have.

The murphy beds are way more comfortable than the typical couch fold outs but not quite as comfortable as an actual bed. They are very firm mattresses on the murphy beds FYI.

My husband carried two of those back to Tuvalu when we rolled our cancelled 2020 trip into TPV at the Poly. They are HEAVY.
I’ve never noticed how much they weigh if I’m honest, they never last long enough
Not sure what time of year you are going, but I tend to travel off peak and haven't found the pools to be overcrowded the way others have.
We almost always go during this specific week, and it’s specifically the Lava pool that’s the problematic one. I’ve never seen the Oasis pool crowded at all. And I suspect it’s because it’s much less attractive for sneaking into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter