Need Some Positive DVC Feedback

You made a great choice. Like others have said the only regret we have is not buying sooner. We love it. It was the best decision we have made. It has made our Disney vacationing 100 times better. We used to stay at the values and well this is sooooo much better. :goodvibes

We just returned 8/27 from a 5 night stay in a 1BR SV at AKV! It was incredible!! The resort is fantastic and there is so much to do and see. The transportation to and from the rest of WDW was great as well. We were impressed from start to finish. Haven't had a chance to write a trip report yet. Can't wait until Kidani opens in 2009!

Although we are not DVC veterans (joined in 2004) we are more than pleased with our decision to join. The first 1/2 of this trip we stayed in a 2BR at SSR and invited some family members to come along for that portion. You cannot beat the DVC accomodations! It's really nice to have room to spread out. I may sound crazy but my favorite part of the DVC rooms (1 & 2BR) is the washer/dryer. We don't have to pack as much, it's so convenient and I love returning home with a suitcase full of clean laundry (wow, I DO sound crazy).

You won't regret your decison, OP!

We bought into DVC without seeing it and without even visiting WDW for 6 years. Our first trip was a year ago and we just got back from our second trip. We talk all year about what we're going to do at WDW and what the resort will be like. All 5 members of my family love visiting WDW the DVC way and that is not true of any other vacation.

Thanks DisDaydreamer and wildernessDad, that is what I needed to hear. We will not make our first trip home until September of 2008 so the wait is going to make us crazy.

Keep the post coming......

LOL, I feel you.

We bought in at the begining of March (first day they went on sale to the public)...but our first trip isn't til Jan of '08.

Luckily, we're planning (obsessed!) junkies so that helps.

Just bought into AKV. Have really been reading up on the DVC threads the past few nights. Unfortunatly I keep seeing a lot of negatives :sad1:

This is an internet forum where people post on various topics about DVC. Naturally, most people don't start a thread to say "Gee, I really love DVC". Yes, it happens but those quickly disappear because there's really nothing to add to it.

The rumors or bad experiences tend to take up most of the discussion. That's just natural and human nature.

I wouldn't worry much about people's satisfaction with DVC. Poll after poll on these boards (yes, I know they're not scientific) reveal that people are overwhelmingly satisfied with their DVC purchase and when asked what they would have done differently when purchasing, the most common answer is "buy sooner" or "buy more points than I did".

Just want to alleviate your concerns about negative topics here. It's like anything else....we can love it but still find faults. :)

To a large extent, there are two issues.

One is a lot of people don't like change. Most of the changes in place are going to have very little impact for people who use their contracts as people on the DIS generally recommend - plan ahead, use your points at DVC resorts.

The second is expectations. Some people have fairly high expectations and when they aren't met, disappointment results. Not everyone gets a room with a great view in a great location. Some rooms show a little wear and tear. Sometimes check in is delayed. It isn't terribly realistic to get exactly the perfect room for a full week three months out. Sometimes people blow these things out of proportion - but honestly, sometimes Disney fails to meet minimal expectations - very late check ins, dirty rooms, mistakes made on the waitlist. Remember, however, that people will complain when something is wrong, but we get far fewer "perfect trip" posts - and the ones we do get don't tend to make interesting reading and don't have the front page life of someone who had a problem.

After six years of ownership, we still prefer the Deluxe resorts for quality and service - but we are quite content with the value we are getting from DVC - for what we spent on our points the ability to have a seperate room for the kids and a washer in the room and a regular, enforced Disney vacation makes up for what I believe is a little more wear and tear and a little less "magic." (Not everyone agrees with me, btw, plenty of people find no loss of magic and no loss of quality).

I think the internet has a lot to do with it and those pesky Disney commercials. Folks read these boards and all the wonderful freebies, upgrades, dream passes, outstanding views etc and then when it doesn't happen to them, things can get a little heated. Then vactioners will see the wonderful commercials (I personally love the one where a small girl runs straight into Mickey's waiting arms in a totally EMPTY park) and when real life hits it's a big disappointment.

Like the previous posters, I still love my membership. I still get goosebumps when I'm driving into the WL and I pass under the archway. I love it when I see Art the greeter and he tips his cap at me and there is nothing better than getting some thing hot, sweet and loaded with calories at the broadwalk bakery first thing in the morning before everyone else gets up, but I'm hoping that disney is working on there Customer service issues and I do get a bit peeved at price increases.
No regrets.

Thanks you all for the many responses, to many to list individually.

I am really looking forward to many years of Disney fun. :thumbsup2

Just bought into AKV. Have really been reading up on the DVC threads the past few nights. Unfortunatly I keep seeing a lot of negatives :sad1:

Can some veteran DVC'ers post some of the things they like about DVC ownership. :thumbsup2

Owning DVC is one of the best decisions me have made! We are self employed and our stress level is out of site! We can now go on more frequent trips. The Sun-thurs things works out for us like a glove, for we are closed on Sunday and Monday. People complain at times on these boards but most would not ever sell their DVC points.

The part of owning DVC I like the best is that I'll be able to look forward to an upcomming vacation for the rest of my life (most likely - I'll be well into my 90's before SSR expires)

To sum up:
Wish we knew about it sooner
Wish we had more points(especially when CR becomes available)
Wish we had more vacation time from work
Always glad to know we'll be hearing "Welcome Home" this year and for many years to come. (Don't get that feeling from regular hotels!)
375 pts, 3 homes and ready for more:love:

I just love DVC. I wish we joined sooner but I had to get over the whole timeshare thing. I always thought they were a rip-off until we toured Boardwalk and I was hooked. We bought 325 BW points, added another 50, bought 125 Vero and most recently 150 SSR. And now I'm saving money for CRV which I dearly hope will happen. If you pay close attention to the points charts you can really get a lot out of your membership. I try to travel when the points are lower and the weather is more tolerable. If you can avoid Friday and Saturday you can really stretch the points. We will go for a Sunday through Thursday in Jan at DVC, check into a resonably priced hotel for the weekend and then back to DVC for 5 nights. Jan is great, the weather can be iffy but the crowds are low and the points are cheap as are the hotels. Doing this you can squeeze out quite an extended stay. So, play around with the points charts, you'll be surprised what you can do with your points.
It is such a wonderful place. I always feel so lucky when I walk back from Epcot at night and can go up to my wonderful villa at BW. I know so many people would just die to be able to stay there and it makes me feel wonderful that we were able to join. The boatride from DTD to SSR at night is magical. You feel like a queen motoring on over to your resort when all the other people have to get in their cars and drive to their hotel. We had friends stay with us in may and they were enthralled. The twinkling lights, warm breeze and excitement of DTD was just great and SSR is gorgeous.
SO, I know you will love your membership. My DH was a bit unsure, but now when he walks in the room for the first time he always feels at home. Somehow it feels like it is your own condo.
And can I tell you, having a washer/dryer is pure heaven.
Just count your blessings and enjoy!!

I've only been a member for a little over a year and I've already been to Vero Beach, HHI, OKW and 2 trips to SSR!!! There is no way on God's green earth that I would have been able to do that any other way. I could not afford to spend all that $$$ on lodgings, plane tickets, park tickets and food!!
With the lodging and some of the food costs taken out of the equation, I can afford to go more often.

The best part for me is that I can take my parents on vacation. When I first joined, I booked 3 nights at OKW to take my parents. I will NEVER forget the look on my father's face when we opened the door to that 2 bedroom villa!! He took pictures of the entire place to show to all his friends. It's a small way to give them something back for introducing me to the magic of Disney!

Honestly I always thought timeshare was a ripoff, right up to our first trip to Disney last April. But I must say that seeing as we determined this is what we want to have as a family tradition and go back many more times as our kids grow up. It is a fantastic bargain, even if the deed is not lifetime like most other timeshares. The flexability alone makes it a tremendous deal. I also wish I had done this 4-5 years ago, but am extremely happy we did it now. I talk with other timeshare folks that own in other resorts outside of Disney and they actually look at me with envy and wish they had chosen DVC in hindsight. If you choose to trade out, DVC carries a lot of weight everywhere else as "everyone wants to go to Disney" Simply the best...:cool2:

The best part for me is that I can take my parents on vacation. When I first joined, I booked 3 nights at OKW to take my parents. I will NEVER forget the look on my father's face when we opened the door to that 2 bedroom villa!! He took pictures of the entire place to show to all his friends. It's a small way to give them something back for introducing me to the magic of Disney!

I agree with that wholeheartedly. We took my step dad and Mom to BW and Vero many times over the years and they are some of my best memories. My step dad died this past Feb and my Mom has been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies Dementia so my memories of those trips are precious. They loved DVC. My step Dad acted liked he owned the place and would chat up DVC with any poor soul who happened to sit beside him on the boardwalk. My mother would wait until dark and "sneak" down to the pool and whirlpool. She loves Disney and it is so sad that that part of her life is over. We are taking my step Mom and Dad to SSR in december and they are looking forward to it immensely. I got them tickets to MVMCP and I can't wait to see the look on my fathers face when he sees the decorations, the parade and fireworks. We'll do the parks as much as they can tolerate but the resort and party will be huge for them. Sharing with family members is why we joined DVC to begin with. It is such a joy to share our love with them. We are planning a big family trip in Jan staying in a Beach Cottage and studio at Vero for a couple of days and then on to BW with a Grand Villa and studio for the balance of the week. Its really sad that our group won't include my mother and step Dad but it will mean so much to the rest of the family.
DVC has been a joy in my life and being able to share has been wonderful.

I bought in 1992 sight unseen and I have never been happier with a decision. I have seen many changes over the years, the vast majority of which have been positive. We added on 5 times so that says something pretty darn positive! DVC isn't perfect, but for us it has been a tremendous value giving us fantastic vacations and introducing us to many, many DVC friends. Our family of four gives it eight thumbs up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Can some veteran DVC'ers post some of the things they like about DVC ownership. :thumbsup2

Two years ago we spent 10 nights in a shoebox-sized room at the Caribbean Beach, a so-called moderate resort. During that trip we visited SSR and saw the accomodations and we bought. This summer, we stayed in a one bedroom at SSR and what a difference it made. It was wonderful to have all of that room and privacy.
Everything outside of the room door is the same regardless of where you stay as far as I'm concened. All of the resorts, Disney and DVC are well-maintained and beautiful. It's the superior accomodations for roughly the same price in the long run that makes the DVC vacaton difference.

I'll echo everyone else...we always tell people it was one of our best decisions!

We joined in 1993, had two very young boys. Now we have two teenagers and a third child. We had no way to anticipate how our lives would change, but DVC gives us the flexibility to continue to vacation. Our initial investment was paid back years ago, and now we are enjoying the benefits of our decision. We have been to Vero and HH numerous times. We have been to various resorts in Orlando more than we can keep track of (and never tire of it!) We have exchanged for cruises (both Disney and other). And we are looking at using ponts for an ABD.

When we started with DVC we stayed in one bedrooms so mom and dad didn't have to go to bed at 8:00 when it was time for the little ones to do so. These days we always get a 2 bedroom, so mom and dad don't have to stay up as late as the teenagers!;) We have two bathrooms, a kitchen (important with growing boys), laundry (again, three boys--enough said, especially when at the beach), and room for everyone to spread out. That truly is priceless! In a few years when the boys have their own lives, we'll probably be all over the place from studios for just mom and dad, to grand villas with everyone and their friends. Nice to know we have options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter