Never been on a cruise; anxiety!

asafko

Mouseketeer
My kids have been begging to go on a cruise and my husband wants to as well. I am having a hard time picturing being on a ship all that time and feeling claustrophobic at the thought of it. I love vacations with more freedom of movement; not being confined. Does it feel as confining as I am imagining?

I'm just like you on this,need some info to convince myself its worth it..

In reading descriptions that say to go for the lower decks, closest to the center to avoid seasickness - the idea of of being in the center of the ship on a low deck makes me feel sick!

Here is what i would say. No it is not that bad. To be honest you will never be in your room unless its time to sleep. All of the Cruise lines now have so much to do and see. They are now more like moving citys. I would would say that you might want to get a room with a balcony that would help and there is nothing like sitting out there in the morning having a cup of coffee or what ever. Also I would say if you are worried look at the bigger ships. The Oasis and Allure have so much open space to them with all the Pool areas, Boardwalk and Centeral Park.

I felt just like this before my 1st cruise. Like I would be trapped in the middle of the ocean & IN A PANIC wanting to get off the ship the entire trip. It was nothing like I had feared. Long story short, going on my 4th cruise next month & already planning a 5th for next year ;)

I am agoraphobic and was very worried before my first cruise, however it was great and I never felt trapped on the boat.

The boats are more like a big resort or small little town. There are plenty of places to go at all times of the day.

What I would suggest is taking time when you first get on board to explore the ship a little. You will quickly discover how big these ships are!

Not at all they are huge with a lot of outdoor space as well. If anything I always am overwhelmed by how huge they are! We went on our first cruise in 2011 and have done two more since and are in the works of planning the next two one being a 15 day one to Hawaii because we love it that much.

Hope this helps:)
julie

My kids have been begging to go on a cruise and my husband wants to as well. I am having a hard time picturing being on a ship all that time and feeling claustrophobic at the thought of it. I love vacations with more freedom of movement; not being confined. Does it feel as confining as I am imagining?

Claustrophobic? Confining? Hardly. The newer classes of cruise ships are massive, and so are their public spaces. The cabins of some ships may be a bit smaller than some American hotel rooms, but they are well appointed and comfortable. If you are worried about claustrophobia then get an ocean view or balcony cabin.

I have found some of the newest ships to be TOO big. DH and I find ourselves searching out some of the smaller ships. Different strokes (and ships) for everyone.

The only thing I found claustrophobic on the Freedom of the Seas was the shower- ok the whole bathroom.

I had the same fears before our first cruise, but we LOVED every minute being on the ship! In fact, I am usually as tired from traipsing back and forth on the ship as I am after a day at Disneyland! Never once felt confined or claustrophobic!

My biggest challenge was talking my husband into going on our first cruise! He was so sure he already KNEW about boats, but I promised him this was Mickey's Boat and not a gray Navy ship! By the first night, he was asking when we could go again!! He and our boys LOVED it, and had no fear.

Like another poster commented ... we've done the small ships and once on a larger one. We prefer the smaller ones because (well for me, I don't get lost as easily!) we are not so overwhelmed!

We have had inside cabins, ones with portholes, adjoining rooms and side-by-side, and once a balcony. On the newer Disney ships, the inside staterooms have "portholes" that are actually live feeds to whatever is seen on that side of the ship ... with additional little Disney characters showing up now and then as well. It gave the feeling of having a window, and some ambient light that was awesome.

Book and ENJOY! You never know until you try!!
Deb

We sailed DCL every year from 2000-2007. We were avid travelers, had a large travel trailer and took long summer vacations with the kids. After the first cruise (yes DW had same hat will we do thoughts) almost every day of vacation time is used for sailing. If your going to sail RCCL for he first time on at least a medium sized ship. Independance, Liberty etc. we sailed the Independance on back to back months last year and I swear we still didn't see the whole ship!
I tell everyone this is why sailing is he best vacation you could take. You board, explore the ship, eat, go to your stateroom, unpack and the back to exploring. Have a few drinks, catch a show or two, watch that sail away party and just relax. Then they feed you again, and there are shows all over the ship, the bars have different venues 70s, 80s pop, disco etc. to party all night or just sit in a hot tub or find a quiet place to read a book! You go to sleep and wake up docked somewhere else! Explore, Nassau, key west, coco key etc. yes, there are a few days at sea but there are so many activities you will never believe how fast the time goes by. Again, there is nothing better than exploring another country, grand cayman, jamaca, costa maya, st Thomas etc getting back on the ship, do your thing at night as you are being driven to your next destination, waking up, looking out your verandah and seeing a whole other country.....we now sail 5-8 times a year! Love it!

You sound like my DH, Jim who is now the poster boy for cruising.

I literally suffer from paralyzingly claustrophobia and live to cruise. One answer for me is a balcony cabin. Being able to open that door and fresh air is a biggie. We prefer aft-facing balcony cabins. Not only are the balconies gagunda (Royal Caribbean) but you are protected from weather back there.

Finally. You may want to take a peek at one of the 4 Radiance class ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet. They are built with more glass in public areas. You are rarely far from a beautiful vista. Good for the claustrophobia for sure.

Another good choice is the Oasis or Allure of the Seas. Largest cruise ships in the World by a big margin.

The ships now a days are big floating resorts. Often your biggest challenge the first day or so is simply finding your way back to your cabin!

The newer ships are so massive that they are more like floating hotels rather than sea vessels. Even in choppy seas it is harder to feel the ship rocking because the ships are so huge. Lots and lots of open public spaces and from my experience, RCI in particular does so well at crowd control that even when ships are at full capacity, there are still places to get away and relax from the hustle and bustle of it all.

I love cruising, it's my vacation of choice, personally. But I grew up with it -- my family always took cruises for vacations and I've just stuck with it as an adult. :) I've never experienced sea sickness and I don't have problems with claustrophobia, however.

Balconies are a must. Imagine waking up on a sea day, opening up your shades just to see the sun shining bright over an endless glistening ocean in front of you. Definitely the best way to start your day. :)

2a6l9p1.jpg

Having been on 2 different cruiselines,(platinum cruiser with DCL) trying a third as a trade off with friends of ours, I have yet to see any ship that is confining or claustrophobic.

There's advantages and disadvantages to every cabin class on every ship.

Lower cabins less movement, typically closer to debark points on the ship to get off and explore
Bad points- limited view through portholes, (think distance or looking at the pier as opposed to over it) can sometimes hear/ feel thrusters moving the ship or supplies being loaded etc.

Upper cabins better views, closer to pools, food entertainment etc. Typically larger sq footage wise also.

Bad points - you'll feel more movement. This is usually when the seas are higher then normal.

Don't get me wrong. Everyone loves their cabin selection for different reasons. We typically will sail a balcony cabin usually midships with a deck or 2 buffer above and below public spaces. There is nothing like sitting on a balcony relaxing watching the sea pass, with a drink in your hand, or looking at the stars at night.

Weve sailed 4000 pax ships at capacity and you'd never know that there was 3999 other people onboard with you. The ships are large and laid out and timed so not everyone is in the same place at the same time. Except for deck parties which are different stories. Theres tons of things to do on any ship like ice carving demos, classes like wine tastings, movies, tours, just about anything you can think of.

The best thing I can suggest besides doing what is already being done( asking questions) is approach cruising with an open mind. Read the cruise summaries that people post, look at a shorter cruise to see if cruising is for you.( its not for all), join the Facebook page for your cruise or the cruise meet page for your cruise, after that relax and have fun.

How do you feel claustrophobic when surrounded by limitless horizon lol? It is like the opposite of claustrophobia - it feels like freedom!

There is lots to do onboard and besides you will be ashore most days so it is not like you onboard 24/7. And the nicest part of being ashore is knowing you are getting back onboard that beautiful ship at the end of the day. The ship really starts to feel like home. I remember walking around Montreal once and I could see a Holland America ship docked there and I was so envious to think of all the lucky people who would be boarding her, and sailing on to the next destination, while I had to go back to the crappy Holiday Inn (it wasn't crappy, just making a point lol)

Cruising is awesome. Try it! I dare ya! (you can thank me later)

We take our first cruise in July to Alaska. I really wanted a balcony but dh is deathly afraid of heights. Even the fourth floor walway at the contdmp bothers him. Will we be ok with just a window?

We take our first cruise in July to Alaska. I really wanted a balcony but dh is deathly afraid of heights. Even the fourth floor walway at the contdmp bothers him. Will we be ok with just a window?

I would say you definitely want a balcony for Alaska. Such gorgeous views and 20+ hrs of daylight. Alaska and Panama Canal are the 2 cruises you should get balcony cabins. Windows are ok, but the view (and photos) just aren't the same. You must, however, consider your spouses intense fears. If he won't enjoy sitting on the balcony, why bother? Life is too short to stress. BTW, I have an intense fear of heights as well. Contemp resort walkways I don't like; I hate being near the railing on the second level or third at our mall, but the cruise balcony simply isn't the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter