Never doing a split stay again

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband has been there, it was last time we did a split stay. We were in MK, split stay between ALK and BLT, when he got a migraine and he ended up hanging out in the BLT lobby until our room was ready.

I truly don't comprehend why anyone feeling really ill at Disney would sit around somewhere suffering instead of going to a resort front desk or seeking out a first aid station to ask if there's someplace they might rest until able to get into their room.

Makes no sense at all to me.

Some real germaphobes in this thread! Like the OP, me and my kid got flu at Disney World in Feb 2020 (we know because we were so sick when we got home in early March 2020 that we were tested for Covid). If you’re that worried about a sick kid at Disney being taken to the parks and you intersecting with them: Don’t go.

Interesting take on the split stay - we are trying our first one in November. With a kid! Will see how it goes.

Some real germaphobes in this thread! Like the OP, me and my kid got flu at Disney World in Feb 2020 (we know because we were so sick when we got home in early March 2020 that we were tested for Covid). If you’re that worried about a sick kid at Disney being taken to the parks and you intersecting with them: Don’t go.

Interesting take on the split stay - we are trying our first one in November. With a kid! Will see how it goes.
Wish you a healthy and boring split stay :)

I could be wrong, but I'm concerned of "different ' germs at disney. At home, doors, shopping carts, church, You have cold /flu/ whatever type A. Going to disney with people from all over the place you have cold /flu/ whatever type A-b -c-d.......... I figure I have a greater chance of getting sick from Cold type g. That's why before Covid , Disney was the only place I used hand sanitizer.

As far as split stays....just the two of us. For about 10 years, we would do BLT so many days, then BCV or BWV for rest of trip. First part go to MK or AK. Second part of trip, go to Epcot or HS. I figure the time I save in buses is worth the time spent packing midpoint. Only problem now is bell services won't move cold stuff.

We would stay in room until 11, eat lunch somewhere , just hang at resort, move over to next resort , find a nice bench, hope for a room at 4.

But it seems the last 5 years or so (not covid related), it's been harder to get BCV or BWV at 7 months.

We did a split stay in March and like the OP it was Poly to AKL. We enjoyed ours but didn't have any bumps along the way. We went in the pool at Poly after checkout. After that we drove to AKL and went to the pool where the kids did the poolside activities/games. It ended up being a relaxing day and we've got another split stay setup for August. On trips of 10+ nights I think we'll continue to consider split stays but on shorter trips I prefer one resort.

Disney is definitely germy - we got lucky until December 2021, then our luck ran out.* We are also fans of the split stay, but so far haven't had the illness on move day. That would be awful, and I'm sorry, @nuhusky123 that you had to experience that!

Pre-covid, we've all been around families that had someone coughing, sneezing, or worse around the parks. I just notice it a LOT more now.

We used to do splits w toddlers who needed naps, and not having a room ready was a challenge. Two things we did that might help anyone reading this thread:
1. we rented comfy strollers and if we couldn't shlep them to a park, would hang out poolside or find a quiet spot at the resort to attempt a stroller nap. We do have a lot of Photopass photos from that era where the grownups are all "we made it!!!" and the kids are in the stroller asleep or with the most hilariously grumpy faces on.
2. We used to use Starwood/Marriott points for the first part of our split (Swan or Dolphin) if we had a very early flight in - the room was almost always ready much earlier, and we could unload, unpack and have a rest. Or do it on switch day so we weren't homeless for too long. But agree - having to move with a sick kid - there are few options to be comfortable. I'm glad they felt better after lunch.

*luck ran out: omicron was surging where we were and much lower in FL. We went to WDW over winter break and masked up with KN95s *but* we did indoor dining. We were pretty far from other tables, wore masks when we got up, etc etc. But - did get sick near the end of our trip. (We started hearing more people coughing in line as the trip went on.) WDW (Riviera) was great - very understanding and helpful in canceling stuff without penalty and refunded our points for the one night we left early. We rented a car and drove back rather than fly. Fortunately we we only had very mild symptoms for 1-2 days (adults were boosted, kids were 2 shots in) and it was more a disruption than anything more concerning. Having a vomiting kid would have been a lot harder!

I created the post to present a reason why I won’t do split stays. Glad you walked away with the sick kid issue, who only had nausea and nothing more. Two thumbs up kind people

im 100% certain all the kind people attacking me have never gone on holiday or to work while feeling ill. Bastions of medical best practices
Probably because your split stay only affected you but you bringing a sick child into a park potentially affected thousands. After 2 years of covid.

You couldn’t be more correct, we infected thousands
Yes. Because that's how communicable disease works. But whether it's thousands or just 1 is irrelevant. Intentionally exposing people against their will is sorry....selfish. Which is why people are calling you out.

Yes. Because that's how communicable disease works. But whether it's thousands or just 1 is irrelevant. Intentionally exposing people against their will is sorry....selfish. Which is why people are calling you out.
Thank you very much for pointing out my failings as a human and parent

i shall now model myself on everyone else who goes to wdw and never dares enter when sick

no one dares goes to Disney sick. I must repent for I am a naughty boy

Thank you very much for pointing out my failings as a human and parent

i shall now model myself on everyone else who goes to wdw and never dares enter when sick

no one dares goes to Disney sick. I must repent for I am a naughty boy
All of your snark doesn't change what you did. It was still wrong and no amount of whataboutism and pointing to others changes that. Just because someone else does something wrong doesn't absolve you from your wrongdoings. Taking a sick kid to a park was wrong. I'm certain that you either haven't thought about or don't care about the person(s) you may/could/probably infected who's trip you therefore ruined 24-48 hours later.

All of your snark doesn't change what you did. It was still wrong and no amount of whataboutism and pointing to others changes that. Just because someone else does something wrong doesn't absolve you from your wrongdoings. Taking a sick kid to a park was wrong. I'm certain that you either haven't thought about or don't care about the person(s) you may/could/probably infected who's trip you therefore ruined 24-48 hours later.
my last response to ya here, I won’t bother to respond anymore as no matter I clearly was wrong

if you read the thread by noon all was well and back to normal. There was no sneezing, no coughing just a feeling of nausea. I was not going to take them to urgent care as it did not warrant such a response

we had no room to stay in so we could do one of the following
1- go to parks
2- sit in hotel lobby
3- sit in restaurant
4- sit in parking lot until we’ll past 5pm

Options 1-3 to your points we “get someone else sick” and no I’m not sitting in a parking lot for 10 hours

id also love expert guidance how someone who is not sneezing, not coughing and only has the sensation of nausea is going to spread disease and the plague?

if my kid can spread the plague by simply being in ones presence I’m going to ship them off to West Point as the next terminator

my last response to ya here, I won’t bother to respond anymore as no matter I clearly was wrong

if you read the thread by noon all was well and back to normal. There was no sneezing, no coughing just a feeling of nausea. I was not going to take them to urgent care as it did not warrant such a response

we had no room to stay in so we could do one of the following
1- go to parks
2- sit in hotel lobby
3- sit in restaurant
4- sit in parking lot until we’ll past 5pm

Options 1-3 to your points we “get someone else sick” and no I’m not sitting in a parking lot for 10 hours

id also love expert guidance how someone who is not sneezing, not coughing and only has the sensation of nausea is going to spread disease and the plague?

if my kid can spread the plague by simply being in ones presence I’m going to ship them off to West Point as the next terminator
Go drive and find a park and sit outside with books, ipads etc. It's not on anyone else to problem solve for you.

I know what option is not acceptable: go to a park and expose others to your illness. But your comment "I'm not sitting in a parking lot for 10 hours" is proof enough...entitlement. So you thought, I won't be inconvenienced and have to sit around so I'm just going to go expose others to whatever we have.

If they're sick enough where you're walking around with a vomit bag, then they shouldn't be around others. Hindsight is 20/20. At the time you made that bad decision you had no idea if it would resolve by 12. Period. Good day.

This thread has degenerated into an argument and there are now several "not very nice/helpful" posts.

In the future, do not continue an argument. Instead, Use the REPORT link to respond to posts that do not meet the DISboards Posting Guidelines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter