New Beauty and the Beast

I saw it yesterday afternoon and LOVED it! I loved the part where Lumiere and Cogsworth showed Belle the room that she would be staying in and they played the instrumental song "Home" from the broadway play. What a great touch! And Belle's dress at the end! so pretty!

I saw it yesterday afternoon and LOVED it! I loved the part where Lumiere and Cogsworth showed Belle the room that she would be staying in and they played the instrumental song "Home" from the broadway play. What a great touch! And Belle's dress at the end! so pretty!

I did love le the score a lot - a lot of the background music I thought was very good - better than some of the songs really

Thought it was completely forgettable but adequate. The songs weren't a fraction as good as the original. None of the characters in the castle were anywhere near as charming as the original. Gaston is maybe the most loved Disney "villain" but there was nothing fun or funny about him here. The extra/new stuff (like Belle's mom's cause of death) I found insanely stupid and unnecessary. I thought the Beast was good and I will never criticize Emma Watson because I love her. She and Gad were the best parts of the whole thing.

6/10. Not really worth the wait but also not unexpected. Watch the original, listen to the soundtrack, or go to New Fantasyland instead.

I haven't read everyone's comments but here's mine:
The 3 of us (me, DW, and DD-21) saw it last night and all thought it was wonderful. I could nit pick some things about it that we think could have been better, but overall, we all thoroughly enjoyed it. The music, the costumes, the visuals, are all well done. I think Emma Watson made a great Belle with that mix of toughness and tenderness, Gaston and LaFou were both fun performances, and everyone else was good, too. I read Craig's review and watched about half of the Dis Pop episode. I can't say that I necessarily disagree with many of the points they made, but I can say that none of those things were significant enough to keep me from really enjoying the movie. A movie doesn't have to be technically brilliant and perfect in every way to be worth seeing.

I would not let the negative reviews stop anyone from going and seeing this film.

The extra/new stuff (like Belle's mom's cause of death) I found insanely stupid and unnecessary.
I agree with you on this. Adding that info really added nothing at all to the story and the segment where they magically time-traveled back to Paris didn't fit in any way, shape, or form. It was a very odd bit of storytelling.

Saw it, very much liked it. Yes, it wasn't perfect, but I loved it for what it was - imperfections, and all, and I'd happily see it again. I definitely think it should win some awards for costume and sets. And Josh Groban is a BAD MAN for making me make water come from my eye sockets in the theater, in public and all! :)

And Josh Groban is a BAD MAN for making me make water come from my eye sockets in the theater, in public and all! :)
Why is he a bad man? :D He is my favorite singer lol. I hope you know that he wasn't the one that sang Evermore during the movie. I think he sings it during the credits, and my friends wanted to leave by the time his song came up. So, I never got to hear it, but I heard it on another site. Usually by that point, a lot of people have left the theater so hopefully it wasn't a lot of people.

Why is he a bad man? :D He is my favorite singer lol. I hope you know that he wasn't the one that sang Evermore during the movie. I think he sings it during the credits, and my friends wanted to leave by the time his song came up. So, I never got to hear it, but I heard it on another site. Usually by that point, a lot of people have left the theater so hopefully it wasn't a lot of people.
Yep, I knew which version he sang, thanx. I always try and stay until the end of the credits. The version during the movie teared me up too (personally resonates with me, from my past), but his version tore me up!

Yep, I knew which version he sang, thanx. I always try and sty until the end of the credits. The version on the movie teared me up too, but his version tore me up!
Gotcha. I feel like Josh Groban would have played a good Beast if they would have cast him lol. :D

We just got home from watching it and I enjoyed it very much. I wasn't sure I'd be able to see Emma Watson as anyone but Hermione but she did a good job as Belle. I liked Josh Gad as Lefou, too. It's definitely worth seeing!

We saw it this afternoon and found it quite enjoyable. I think the point of the added backstory, which many are saying was unnecessary, was that it showed that Belle and the Beast had the shared experience of having lost their mothers at a young age. Knowing that someone else is able to understand your pain is something that can forge a bond between people. It made their falling in love more believable to me. I thought all of the actors and actresses did a good job and the visuals were appealing. Craig and Ryno stated that there was an inconsistency with the townspeople not remembering the castle until the spell had been broken, but the prologue narration explained that at the beginning. I'm wondering if their being so entrenched in Disney lore jaded their view of the movie... set their expectations too high. I haven't seen the original since it first came out in the theatres, so I have forgotten a lot. As such I didn't have many preconceived notions going in. That can make a huge difference in your experience with any film.

Last edited:
I loved the backstory about the beast's parents, and Belle's mother. When Belle showed her father that rattle, I was in tears. It was very emotional for me.

I also loved that beautiful dress that Belle wore at the end, and the comment to the prince about growing a beard was wonderful.

I was very touched by the Beast's comment about not being able to help his servants/staff/friends when he was convinced that he would stay a Beast forever.

So many great emotional moments in the movie for me.

The extra/new stuff (like Belle's mom's cause of death) I found insanely stupid and unnecessary. I thought the Beast was good and I will never criticize Emma Watson because I love her. She and Gad were the best parts of the whole thing.

I really liked this part of the movie. What I got out of it was that Maurice felt so guilty for leaving Belle's mother that he couldn't talk about her death, and why the rose was so important for him to bring to her when he'd go to market.

Liked it! but it was *long* and could've used more light moments.

Emma Watson was fine, what was up with Emma Thompson? Really, the faux Mary Poppins Cockney accent was off-putting. Kevin Kline = thoroughly enjoyable. Ewan - sacre bleu- that French accent.

We enjoyed the second half of the movie more than the first, and I liked the score.

Bottom line, it was more than equal to Maleficent entertainment value-wise with far prettier sets. However it seemed to drag along much more. Editing could've lifted it up, a lot.

I couldn't agree with you more. When the first trailer with Emma Watson singing came out I was so angry. Why the heck would they cast an actress who can't sing as the lead in a musical?! Disney has always been about hiring people who are the best at their craft. Why all of the sudden lower their standards and incorporate obnoxiously massive amounts of auto tune? Since when do they hire an actor to sing who is incapable of performing their songs live? (Which is why they have Josh Gadd and Luke Evans performing live in all of the publicity events and no Emma Watson). I find it baffling that the same studio that searched high and low for the perfect Moana, that cast Nicole Scherzinger just to sing two lines, that prides itself in hiring Broadway performers for their park and cruise shows, would put out such an embarrassingly sub par musical product. I don't understand how the executives didn't listen to it and say "there is no way we're putting this out". And it irritates me that people feel compelled to defend Watson..."she's doing her best"...it's her job! She was paid millions of dollars - more than most of us will make in a lifetime - to do a job she's not trained to do, as if there's a lack of actresses who can sing in Hollywood. In interviews, the director made it very clear he hired her because of her speech at the UN, and this makes me very worried about the Disney movies moving forward. I expect the highest level of craftsmanship from Disney movies, not cheap PR tricks.

THIS!!! totally agree with every word you wrote!!

Saw it Saturday wife 7 years old granddaughter and I all loved it. I thought Emma did an awesome job singing so much so that I looked it up to make sure it was really her. Wife really loved the background stories especially the beast, as it sho

I think the point of the added backstory, which many are saying was unnecessary, was that it showed that Belle and the Beast had the shared experience of having lost their mothers at a young age. Knowing that someone else is able to understand your pain is something that can forge a bond between people. It made their falling in love more believable to me
@Moxiepup - Very well stated, something I had not thought of, and I TOTALLY agree! And having lost my Mom when I was 3, I can TRULY understand what you're saying, too! That's why I love these boards, and appreciate my fellow posters - you make me see things in a way I never would have come to on my own!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter