• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New booking either through Disney directly or Dreams Unlimited...

tmoor

Mouseketeer
My niece wants to book the same cruise my family is on for Sept 2018. We booked onboard so we got our onboard credit of $200. Would she get an onboard credit if she books her own room today through Disney? Or does she need to try to go through Dreams Unlimited to get an onboard credit?

I don't quite understand the travel agent thing...if Disney's website gives you the cheapest rate, then how can a travel agent offer you a cheaper rate (it's my understanding that they don't get cheaper rates for Disney cruises) and an onboard credit? OR they can get the same rate as Disney and still offer an onboard credit? It seems like someone is losing money!

Anyway, anyone know the answer to the question about whether my niece would still get any amount of an onboard credit?

Thanks so much.

No, she wouldn't get an onboard credit booking via Disney. You got that for booking onboard. She didn't.

I see no reason to book via Disney versus DU or another agency that will give a quality kickback. Agency rates are not pricier than Disney's. Agencies are basically giving you part of their booking commission in the form of an onboard credit.

No one is "losing" money. Disney pays the agency to be their rep. The agency is splitting their payment from Disney with you.

So it really would be the price you see on Disney's website? So if the price of an inside stateroom is $2854.96 total, then that is the price she will get through DU? Plus she would get an onboard credit?

Fares for a DCL cruise should be the same whether offered via DCL's website or any TA. Sometimes it appears different but usually turns out one quote did/didn't include taxes, port fees, transfers, insurance, different category letter or such.

Your niece will not qualify for an OBC direct from DCL; she can't jump in on your OBB offer at this point. She can get OBC from a TA -- Dreams Unlimited or other TAs who offer OBC (not all do). Usually it's best to book through the TA to take advantage of such perks, as transferred reservations (made direct with DCL and transferred to the TA) often receive a reduced OBC.

Enjoy your cruise!

Price is the same whether booked through Disney directly or through a travel agent. When booking directly through Disney, they are simply making a greater profit on your booking. If you go through a travel agent, they get a commission and they are basically giving you a kickback of part of the commission in the form of onboard credit.

The best deal is to book while on-board, to get that credit. But then you can transfer the reservation to dreamsunlimited (need to tell the agent on board at the time of booking), and then you get that credit as well.
That way we get the 10% discount, and about $400 to $500 in OBC.

Thank you all so much for the information! Now I just need to get on the phone with DU! Awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter