• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

I still think if someone can engineer a plane to allow cars/tanks/semi-trucks to drive on to them to fly somewhere, then surely someone can design a bus that will allow ECVs to do the same without have to come in from the side. Maybe a double-decker style? ECVs load on the bottom deck while ambulatory guests load up a flight of stairs to the second deck. Does anyone remember the mega-bus? It was a semi-truck that looked like it was converted into a double decker bus. That thing could hold over 100+ guests. I remember seeing it at EPCOT years ago (that's the last pic).

View attachment 817609 View attachment 817610 View attachment 817611 View attachment 817620
the loading and unloading could be a problem with buses. they would need load and unload on street or streetlike areas. look at the room needed to unload plane and think about bus load areas. it would not work at Disney

That soon? Wow, how many buses are they gonna get initially and are they gonna replace the entire fleet? (Which is no small task).

Oh, I think I know what you mean. Not many mass transit systems have em, but they are pretty cool and would cut down waiting times for securing a mobility device.
View attachment 815520

Here’s how it works:
View attachment 815522
View attachment 815523
View attachment 815524

A few issues that I see there:

1. Not many people who rent scooters are really good with getting em on/off the bus and if you HAVE TO back up on the ramp (which pretty much EVERY wheelchair/scooter manufacturer recommends that you DON’T) that’s a major red flag and safety issue.

2. Understandable with no more rear baskets and sunshades. Some of them (depending on scooter model) can REALLY make em long.

3. Then what would the people who need that specific make/model do? Any reason why they’re not allowed?

I hope that the buses have 800 lb. ramp/lift since a lot of the higher end powerchairs (Quantum, Quickie, Permie, etc.) have additional features like foward/backward tilt, recline, electric legrests, seat lifts, and some can even make you stand up, which adds CONSIDERABLE weight to the chair.

Oof, really? Like only 1 secured point on the ENTIRE BUS for a mobility device to be tied down to? Do you have a pic of em?

I don’t really like Gold’s scooter design. To me it looks extremely top heavy and hard to turn.

But wouldn’t that lead to an even longer wait time for those buses?

Yeah, and I don’t think a lot of people would want to pay for that service when they used to be able to ride the buses for free.
94 new buses. Some will replace older buses in the fleet now. Mostly the Nova Buses will be replaced.

I always ask and if the guest is alright with me doing it, I will put the scooter onto the bus while the guest stays in it. I will even back them on if I already have a lot of guests on the bus ahead of them. If someone needs assistance they should tell the driver.

The wait time is not so much the issue as was drivers getting their hands crushed when guests move the scooter during the tiedown process. The new system eliminates us crawling over the scooter to tie it down.

I still think if someone can engineer a plane to allow cars/tanks/semi-trucks to drive on to them to fly somewhere, then surely someone can design a bus that will allow ECVs to do the same without have to come in from the side. Maybe a double-decker style? ECVs load on the bottom deck while ambulatory guests load up a flight of stairs to the second deck. Does anyone remember the mega-bus? It was a semi-truck that looked like it was converted into a double decker bus. That thing could hold over 100+ guests. I remember seeing it at EPCOT years ago (that's the last pic).

View attachment 817609 View attachment 817610 View attachment 817611 View attachment 817620
Those were use for cast shuttles and are illegal now.

94 new buses. Some will replace older buses in the fleet now. Mostly the Nova Buses will be replaced.

I always ask and if the guest is alright with me doing it, I will put the scooter onto the bus while the guest stays in it. I will even back them on if I already have a lot of guests on the bus ahead of them. If someone needs assistance they should tell the driver.

The wait time is not so much the issue as was drivers getting their hands crushed when guests move the scooter during the tiedown process. The new system eliminates us crawling over the scooter to tie it down.
Does that mean if the new restraint system is the one I mentioned/something similar to it, the person will be able to push the button to start the tie down process, or will it be activated by only the driver?

the loading and unloading could be a problem with buses. they would need load and unload on street or streetlike areas. look at the room needed to unload plane and think about bus load areas. it would not work at Disney
I'm just giving a "Blue-Sky" suggestion (to borrow a Disney term). Re-designing the busses does not exclude the re-working of the bus loading areas. Disney has done it before.

Actually, it can work at Disney, do you know how I know? Because some of the onsite non-Disney hotels use shuttles just like this, they literally use a roll up ramp to accomplish it, which is great because it can't break down and is much faster to deploy according to DH who used them on one trip.

Actually, it can work at Disney, do you know how I know? Because some of the onsite non-Disney hotels use shuttles just like this, they literally use a roll up ramp to accomplish it, which is great because it can't break down and is much faster to deploy according to DH who used them on one trip.
What's a roll up ramp, and what exactly are you referring can be done? Loading from the back end of the bus, not the side? Could you show us the shuttle you are talking about?

What's a roll up ramp, and what exactly are you referring can be done? Loading from the back end of the bus, not the side? Could you show us the shuttle you are talking about?
It’s this. To me it looks cumbersome and not very practical when it’ll be needed for multiple times per day.IMG_7608.jpeg

ADA requirements are that ramps have maximum slopes and weight capacities. maximum permissible slope for ramps on vehicles is 1:6. Weight for a ramp over 30 inches is 600 pounds, with a safety parameter of 3x (1800). The roll ramps I am familiar with have capacities of up to 1000 pounds. I do not know their safety rating.

I'd imagine they would have issues after repeated deployments, not to mention requiring that the operator be of strong body.

Sorry, wasn't from the back end, misunderstood what you meant there, but a roll up ramp is similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Rol...roll+up+wheelchair+ramp&qid=1702939974&sr=8-8

This is one example, but there are many out there, including some that you can add links to in order to reduce the slope of the ramp.

But the point was they use double decker busses at these resorts that hold an insane amount of people and those with disabilities get loaded on at the bottom level.

ADA requirements are that ramps have maximum slopes and weight capacities. maximum permissible slope for ramps on vehicles is 1:6. Weight for a ramp over 30 inches is 600 pounds, with a safety parameter of 3x (1800). The roll ramps I am familiar with have capacities of up to 1000 pounds. I do not know their safety rating.

I'd imagine they would have issues after repeated deployments, not to mention requiring that the operator be of strong body.
There are roll up ramps with capacity for 2,000 lbs+.

that could work but buses can not be parked nose to tail like the bus loops at the parks. how can ramp be rolled out with bus right behind it?

Sorry, I saw the double decker part, this would still be on the side, but much easier.
that could work but buses can not be parked nose to tail like the bus loops at the parks. how can ramp be rolled out with bus right behind it?

Sorry, wasn't from the back end, misunderstood what you meant there, but a roll up ramp is similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Rol...roll+up+wheelchair+ramp&qid=1702939974&sr=8-8

This is one example, but there are many out there, including some that you can add links to in order to reduce the slope of the ramp.

But the point was they use double decker busses at these resorts that hold an insane amount of people and those with disabilities get loaded on at the bottom level.
Which off site resorts have double decker buses? Or are you talking about the Hop-On/Hop-Off company? I didn't think they went to WDW?

I'm just giving a "Blue-Sky" suggestion (to borrow a Disney term). Re-designing the busses does not exclude the re-working of the bus loading areas. Disney has done it before.
Yeah if they start making us backup I hope they make some of them wider. Because I know of at least one of the bus routes that I have to get off my personal scooter (it’s a bit less powerful than other ones ftr) and walk it up the ramp because the angle is too steep for me to drive it up on. I’be tried. It always stalls out about half way up the ramp. Only one too so far I’ve had the problem with

(Epcot to AKL if anyone is wondering)

Which off site resorts have double decker buses? Or are you talking about the Hop-On/Hop-Off company? I didn't think they went to WDW?
Some of the ones in the Disney Springs Area, one of them specifically is the B Resort and Spa, but there are several that share the same bus company. No, not all of their busses are double decker, but some are, DH was on one and he said it was super easy to get on and off of, much better than the Disney ones and the ramp was less steep.

Yeah if they start making us backup I hope they make some of them wider. Because I know of at least one of the bus routes that I have to get off my personal scooter (it’s a bit less powerful than other ones ftr) and walk it up the ramp because the angle is too steep for me to drive it up on. I’be tried. It always stalls out about half way up the ramp. Only one too so far I’ve had the problem with

(Epcot to AKL if anyone is wondering)
Wider won't help that, they need to be longer so that they are less steep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter