• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

As for the busses that Disneyland uses for the Toy Story Lot, there are two tie down spaces, but they are so close together that only one of them can be used at a time, it is just a very poor design.
The busses used in the Toy Story Lot, are actually owned and operated by Anaheim Regional Transit (ART). Disney “skins” them for the Toy Story Lot, but even the drivers are not Cast Members, per se.

DH and I were chatting with a driver our first night, and she told us that the drivers are held to the same standards as CM’s but they are technically employed by ART. Their uniform even says this if you look closely. Disney gets the final say-so on the drivers assigned to the TS Lot.

My point is that WDW *may* go with the same type of bus… idk. But Disneyland actually has 3 different busses servicing their TS lot. About 2/3 are the type described in the quote above, and the remaining 1/3 are divided among the other 2 types. The decision regarding the busses used at that lot rests with the ART, and Disney is mostly hands off, unless they were to get a lot of complaints and then they would work with ART to redistribute the bus types.

This info all comes from discussions we had with various drivers over the 6 days we were there in October. After our conversation with the driver the first night we were there, we had more convo’s on subsequent days and nights. It was very interesting, honestly.

Well... I got to the chance to ride on one of the new buses during my trip last week. I rode it from Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge during the day for a lunch reservation. When the driver opened the middle door, he pretty much said, "I'm going to warn you, I've got one of the new buses so I'll be loading you backwards." This driver was very kind and explained how with the new buses, the drivers are going to be the ones to drive the ECV onto the bus backwards. It was just myself (in a Pride Maxima ECV) and a couple waiting to load. Because of how the bus queue waiting areas are designed at Magic Kingdom, it took him several attempts to even get the ECV backed onto the ramp. He was had a blue name tag, so he knew what he was doing. It was more of an issue of there just not being enough space to turn and back up in a clean movement. It took several attempts of the bumping into the metal queue dividers before he was able to get the ECV lined up with the ramp. The way the waiting areas are designed will really need to be reviewed and changed. Since they are at an angle, there is less room as you pull past the ramp. Once he got me onto the ramp, it was a fairly easy load process into the "parking space". There is a lot of room to maneuver within the bus as the seats that are across from the handicap areas are now fold-down theatre-style seats. I didn't particularly like riding backwards, but that was my choice. I'll transfer to a regular seat next time. I didn't notice any type of rocking of the ECV while the bus was moving. The off-loading process was very easy, though. The driver pretty much put the ramp down and I just drove right off.

It's gonna be interesting! I know thatI I am unsteady/unbalanced, which is why I use wheels. Ramps are not easy for my me to walk up. Is there a handrail?

Well... I got to the chance to ride on one of the new buses during my trip last week. I rode it from Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge during the day for a lunch reservation. When the driver opened the middle door, he pretty much said, "I'm going to warn you, I've got one of the new buses so I'll be loading you backwards." This driver was very kind and explained how with the new buses, the drivers are going to be the ones to drive the ECV onto the bus backwards.
Most Paratransit companies would balk at the idea of driving a scoote/powerchair onto a ramp. They even have rules against it.

It was just myself (in a Pride Maxima ECV) and a couple waiting to load. Because of how the bus queue waiting areas are designed at Magic Kingdom, it took him several attempts to even get the ECV backed onto the ramp. He was had a blue name tag, so he knew what he was doing. It was more of an issue of there just not being enough space to turn and back up in a clean movement. It took several attempts of the bumping into the metal queue dividers before he was able to get the ECV lined up with the ramp. The way the waiting areas are designed will really need to be reviewed and changed.
Yeah, but that’s gonna take a long time, but th load areas should have a larger turning radius since a majority of the devices that the drivers will load are scooters.
Since they are at an angle, there is less room as you pull past the ramp. Once he got me onto the ramp, it was a fairly easy load process into the "parking space".There is a lot of room to maneuver within the bus as the seats that are across from the handicap areas are now fold-down theatre-style seats.
Fold-down theater seats? I don’t think I’ve ever seen those on a bus. Do you have pics?
I didn't particularly like riding backwards, but that was my choice. I'll transfer to a regular seat next time. I didn't notice any type of rocking of the ECV while the bus was moving.
Are they using a different type of tie-down that’s designed for scooters rather than wheelchairs? Or, since you said that you were on one of the new buses, did the driver let you ride in the automated restraint thing?

Well... I got to the chance to ride on one of the new buses during my trip last week. I rode it from Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge during the day for a lunch reservation. When the driver opened the middle door, he pretty much said, "I'm going to warn you, I've got one of the new buses so I'll be loading you backwards." This driver was very kind and explained how with the new buses, the drivers are going to be the ones to drive the ECV onto the bus backwards. It was just myself (in a Pride Maxima ECV) and a couple waiting to load.
Thanks for your report! I'm relieved to hear they haven't banned larger scooters like the Pride Maxima from the new buses. If you happen to have any pictures of the new bus setup I'd love to see them.

Well... I got to the chance to ride on one of the new buses during my trip last week. I rode it from Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge during the day for a lunch reservation. When the driver opened the middle door, he pretty much said, "I'm going to warn you, I've got one of the new buses so I'll be loading you backwards." This driver was very kind and explained how with the new buses, the drivers are going to be the ones to drive the ECV onto the bus backwards. It was just myself (in a Pride Maxima ECV) and a couple waiting to load. Because of how the bus queue waiting areas are designed at Magic Kingdom, it took him several attempts to even get the ECV backed onto the ramp. He was had a blue name tag, so he knew what he was doing. It was more of an issue of there just not being enough space to turn and back up in a clean movement. It took several attempts of the bumping into the metal queue dividers before he was able to get the ECV lined up with the ramp. The way the waiting areas are designed will really need to be reviewed and changed. Since they are at an angle, there is less room as you pull past the ramp. Once he got me onto the ramp, it was a fairly easy load process into the "parking space". There is a lot of room to maneuver within the bus as the seats that are across from the handicap areas are now fold-down theatre-style seats. I didn't particularly like riding backwards, but that was my choice. I'll transfer to a regular seat next time. I didn't notice any type of rocking of the ECV while the bus was moving. The off-loading process was very easy, though. The driver pretty much put the ramp down and I just drove right off.
I am curious though, how will this work for those who can't walk onto the bus? Or does the driver drive it on with you still seated? Not an issue for DH and I, but I could see it being an issue for some.

I am curious though, how will this work for those who can't walk onto the bus? Or does the driver drive it on with you still seated? Not an issue for DH and I, but I could see it being an issue for some.
That was my question. Hoping the poster will come back with more information.

I ask because last trip a CM actually backed me up the ramp of the monorail while I was seated in a larger scooter. He was extremely efficient so much quicker than when I backed in on my own. But the post relating to the new bus experience here is not clear whether the poster was on the scooter or walked on.

That was my question. Hoping the poster will come back with more information.

I ask because last trip a CM actually backed me up the ramp of the monorail while I was seated in a larger scooter. He was extremely efficient so much quicker than when I backed in on my own. But the post relating to the new bus experience here is not clear whether the poster was on the scooter or walked on.
Wait, what?! Now you gotta back up on the monorail now?! New fear unlocked…

Yup. First time I did it was last September… apparently it’s to prevent scooters from tipping forward. At least that’s what I was led to believe after much discussion here on the DIS.
We had a scooter enter the monorail car in which we were already seated the beginning of January. They got on at Contemporary and drove in forward.

We had a scooter enter the monorail car in which we were already seated the beginning of January. They got on at Contemporary and drove in forward.
Yes, the new procedure was implemented later in the year. First time I did the backup was on the Epcot monorail line in September. I was staying at VGF and after that it was backing up almost exclusively.

Yes, the new procedure was implemented later in the year. First time I did the backup was on the Epcot monorail line in September. I was staying at VGF and after that it was backing up almost exclusively.
I meant January, as in a month ago - the week after marathon.

I meant January, as in a month ago - the week after marathon.
Oops! Sorry! Boy, getting old ain’t for sissies lol

I don’t know that I boarded at the Contemporary since the new procedure was implemented though I’ll be there in June. I’d love to see them allow driving forward onto the monorail!

BTW, the logic of this change was explained to me as… the weight of the scooter is in the rear which carries heavy batteries and a parson… not nearly as much weight in front. Driving up the ramp, as I understand it, had caused a couple of people to flip the scooter backward because of this imbalance. I use the larger scooter and never had the least concern this could be an issue. But… the change was made to address that issue.

Nothing would please me more than having that new procedure reversed!

Most Paratransit companies would balk at the idea of driving a scoote/powerchair onto a ramp. They even have rules against it.

Yeah, but that’s gonna take a long time, but th load areas should have a larger turning radius since a majority of the devices that the drivers will load are scooters.

Fold-down theater seats? I don’t think I’ve ever seen those on a bus. Do you have pics?

Are they using a different type of tie-down that’s designed for scooters rather than wheelchairs? Or, since you said that you were on one of the new buses, did the driver let you ride in the automated restraint thing?
I've never heard that and I know it's not the case in Minnesota.
That doesn't make sense; many of the people using paratransit and regular city buses with power wheelchairs and ECVs don't have a vehicle they can transport it in or cant drive

Oops! Sorry! Boy, getting old ain’t for sissies lol

I don’t know that I boarded at the Contemporary since the new procedure was implemented though I’ll be there in June. I’d love to see them allow driving forward onto the monorail!

BTW, the logic of this change was explained to me as… the weight of the scooter is in the rear which carries heavy batteries and a parson… not nearly as much weight in front. Driving up the ramp, as I understand it, had caused a couple of people to flip the scooter backward because of this imbalance. I use the larger scooter and never had the least concern this could be an issue. But… the change was made to address that issue.

Nothing would please me more than having that new procedure reversed!
Well, I agree with the weight thing as this woman was going really slowly, and her companion told her she needed to give it some more gas, and I legit got scared for a moment that she was going to ram the opposite doors! Maybe she was a newby.

That's exactly what I was wondering. I can't walk more than 1-2 steps if they take away my ECV. I'm at WDW now, but fortunately haven't encountered one of those buses yet, where you go in backwards. I'll post here if I do.

It's gonna be interesting! I know thatI I am unsteady/unbalanced, which is why I use wheels. Ramps are not easy for my me to walk up. Is there a handrail?
There was not a handrail that I remember.

Are you sitting on the scooter as he backs it up the ramp or did you get off and walk up?
I was sitting on the scooter.

Unfortunately, I did not take any pics. I was riding in the automated restraint thing. I did not have to press anything like was mentioned in previous post. The driver did it all. I don't twist very well anymore, which is why I ask the drivers to maneuver me into place on the current busses.

I did find a picture on the web that was similar to what the fold down seats look like. Each seat folded down individually (the Disney ones didn't have armrests or the button like in the pic). The driver said that they weren't very comfortable. I was really struck by how much room there was in the front half of the bus with this new system. There were none of the poles or dividers that we normally have to maneuver around on the current buses. I could have driven around in a circle in the space. Of course, I was the only person in that section of the bus. The other 2 riders were in the far back.
1706872226816.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter