New Cancellation Policy?

Cancellation policies are still exactly the same on the website. Delayed PIF, move your sailing within 15 days of sailing, cancel within 15 days of sailing if you get covid, and relaxed cancellation policy.

Seems like DCL would have changed their policies on their website if they were modifying them so drastically. Figure OP just got a CM on the phone who wasn’t aware of the correct cancellation policies. The email received this morning states that standard cancellation policies remain after 9/2 for all fantasy sailings.

The email I received this morning was pretty clear that 9/1/21 is the cut off for DISNEY FANTASY sailings before 3/26/22. I think that maybe the website hasn't updated yet b/c its a new policy change and b/c it seems to only apply to the Fantasy...for now. After 9/2, it just reverts to the standard cancellation policies, as you said.

So doesn’t this make their cancellation policy even stricter for some cruises than it was pre covid?? I’m confused….
No, it shouldn't. It's to allow everyone to get a full refund if they want, even those who normally can't get a refund.

Same thing happened for the Dream after its protocols were announced. They gave a window in which everyone without exception could get a full refund. But if your sailing date was later on, the PIF date stayed the same.

Concierge deposits are nonrefundable. This policy allows even the concierge customers to get a full refund if they wish.

Yup...that's how I read it as well...I just wish they had given us a little bit more time! DD is 11.5 years old. She'll turn 12 ON our december cruise. I was hoping to have more leeway to see if she'll be able to be vaccinated before we sail but I guess not. Gotta make a decision soon!! Ugh!

Email from August 5th:

For sailings through January 31, 2022, we are temporarily extending final payment until 60 days prior to sailing for Guests booked in unrestricted stateroom categories.

Cruises 6 Nights or More (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)

Days Prior to Vacation Commencement DateFee Amount
60 days or moreNo fee
59-56 daysDeposit per Guest
55-30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Email August 17th

Disney Fantasy Guests sailing through March 26, 2022, may modify their sail date or cancel their sailing without any Disney-imposed cancellation fees by contacting our reservations team at 1-866-352-6685 or 407-566-7797 by September 1, 2021. Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines, as well as travel insurance, are not refundable. Refunds will be processed back to the original form of payment. Standard cancellation policies and terms and conditions apply for any cancellation or modification requests received on or after September 2, 2021

NOTE that it does say "Standard cancellation policies and terms and conditions apply . . . "

So aren't the "Standard" cancellation policies the ones listed above? I will call. Not sure I can get through today but will post again.

Email from August 5th:

For sailings through January 31, 2022, we are temporarily extending final payment until 60 days prior to sailing for Guests booked in unrestricted stateroom categories.

Cruises 6 Nights or More (Excluding Suites and Concierge Staterooms)

Days Prior to Vacation Commencement DateFee Amount
60 days or moreNo fee
59-56 daysDeposit per Guest
55-30 days50% of vacation price per Guest
29-15 days75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less100% of vacation price per Guest

Email August 17th

Disney Fantasy Guests sailing through March 26, 2022, may modify their sail date or cancel their sailing without any Disney-imposed cancellation fees by contacting our reservations team at 1-866-352-6685 or 407-566-7797 by September 1, 2021. Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines, as well as travel insurance, are not refundable. Refunds will be processed back to the original form of payment. Standard cancellation policies and terms and conditions apply for any cancellation or modification requests received on or after September 2, 2021

NOTE that it does say "Standard cancellation policies and terms and conditions apply . . . "

So aren't the "Standard" cancellation policies the ones listed above? I will call. Not sure I can get through today but will post again.
That’s how I read the statement. Fantasy bookings through 26 March 2022 can be cancelled without penalty by 1 September 2021. After that, the standard cancellation policies apply. This will permit anyone with a booking where cancellation implies loss of deposit (like concierge bookings) to get a full refund instead, so long as they cancel by the deadline.

It's poorly worded, but I believe the Sept. 1 cancellation deadline allows anyone (including concierge) to cancel and receive a full refund. Those who are within the penalty period as well as concierge. Anyone currently outside the penalty period will remain with the "standard" policy as of Sept. 2nd.

DCL won't make a cancellation policy stricter than when you booked. In years past when they changed policies, it always grandfathered existing reservations.

OK, spoke with LIZ and she was great. The cancellation dates listed in your reservation confirmation are the ones that matter. The Sept 1st deadline is for people who are up against a time line NOW since those Fantasy protocols were just announced today. The delayed PIF for cruises before the end of January are still in place.

The email was auto generated for anyone on the Fantasy and she said it doesn't apply to my cruise in terms of the Sept 1 date.

She is actually going on a Fantasy test cruise next week I think she said? Also, since DCL started accepting new bookings they have not been booking any ships more than 50% Capacity. So, unless things change, my Star Wars cruise of Jan 29th will just have 50% of normal load. I forgot to ask about the Wish BUT I would suspect this would be true of that ship as well. So if you didn't get on the Wish, there might be a chance?

So doesn’t this make their cancellation policy even stricter for some cruises than it was pre covid?? I’m confused….

and does this apply to my January Dream cruise?

You had until August 6th to get a full refund for cruises through March 28, 2022 on the Dream.

"Disney Dream Guests sailing through March 28, 2022 may modify their sail date or cancel their sailing and receive a full refund without Disney-imposed cancellation fees back to the original form of payment by contacting your travel agent by August 6, 2021."

I just got the email, do not really understand the cancellation part. We have a Fantasy cruise booked in March 22. Sept 1 is way before our PIF date?
I was thinking this is for the benefit of those booked in Concierge because of course ordinary staterooms are always refundable before the PIF.

OK, spoke with LIZ and she was great. The cancellation dates listed in your reservation confirmation are the ones that matter. The Sept 1st deadline is for people who are up against a time line NOW since those Fantasy protocols were just announced today. The delayed PIF for cruises before the end of January are still in place.

The email was auto generated for anyone on the Fantasy and she said it doesn't apply to my cruise in terms of the Sept 1 date.

She is actually going on a Fantasy test cruise next week I think she said? Also, since DCL started accepting new bookings they have not been booking any ships more than 50% Capacity. So, unless things change, my Star Wars cruise of Jan 29th will just have 50% of normal load. I forgot to ask about the Wish BUT I would suspect this would be true of that ship as well. So if you didn't get on the Wish, there might be a chance?
OK, so I THINK I understand now. We're on the same cruise as you! We're still good then? I can wait to cancel if need be?

I was thinking about it...if we had to cancel by 9/1 to get a full refund, would they refund you that extra 25% they gave if your last cruise was canceled? :P And 50% capacity sounds GREAT! Just hoping they don't limit the pool stuff for the kiddos - our kids are grown, but we love walking through, what we refer to as the GAUNTLET, on our way to the adults-only section. lol

would they refund you that extra 25% they gave if your last cruise was canceled?
If you received FCC from a canceled cruise, that is not refundable if you now cancel. You would only receive back the amount you actually paid out-of-pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter