• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Credit Card Authorization Holds

Initial $100 hold yes but there was not another ran every time we went over $100. I detailed every charge they pre-authorized during our trip. I'd probably a page, maybe 2, back in the thread. Shouldn't be too far since it's not been very active with posts since our trip.
I was wondering because I see that some people are getting no $100 charge - not even the $100 charge on the first day? Again, it seems like everyone has had different experiences - I wish there would be a clear policy in place - that way people know what to expect.

I was wondering because I see that some people are getting no $100 charge - not even the $100 charge on the first day? Again, it seems like everyone has had different experiences - I wish there would be a clear policy in place - that way people know what to expect.
I believe there is a clear policy in place but too many variables from guest to guest to make it so clear.
There are many variables and if the person reporting doesn't give all their details it may make it more confusing
Just a few instances that can make it less clear (off the top of my head)
If you don't put a credit card down, there's not a $100 charge
Sometimes people think there's a credit card put on the account but it gets dropped off the account for no known reason and then, no $100 charge. Not because they don't want charging privileges, just due to an error in MDE
If you pay in full prior to arrival it can be processed 1 way and if you don't pay in full prior to arrival it is processed another.
Some may not notice it (this was almost me, for a split second I didn't notice it due to the way it was done, I thought it was a different charge)

I believe there is a clear policy in place but too many variables from guest to guest to make it so clear.
There are many variables and if the person reporting doesn't give all their details it may make it more confusing
Just a few instances that can make it less clear (off the top of my head)
If you don't put a credit card down, there's not a $100 charge
Sometimes people think there's a credit card put on the account but it gets dropped off the account for no known reason and then, no $100 charge. Not because they don't want charging privileges, just due to an error in MDE
If you pay in full prior to arrival it can be processed 1 way and if you don't pay in full prior to arrival it is processed another.
Some may not notice it (this was almost me, for a split second I didn't notice it due to the way it was done, I thought it was a different charge)
Thank you - I guess that I will assume there will be an initial $100 charge and go from there. I am paid in advance and will be using the MB throughout our stay. I'll try to report back as to my experiences.

This thread has been quiet lately. Anyone have any recent reviews.
When I went in May for a week had a load of pre-auths/holds for amounts over $100 and the $100 hold which all went away slowly as the days rolled on after I checked out (took about a week for them all to go away). When I went in June, just a couple of weeks ago (and 3 weeks after the May trip) I didn't have a single hold or pre-auth on my card. I used cash a couple of times when the card/band readers were down, but I used my band for everything else and not a single hold. Who knows. I was solo and not spending as much as when I go with family so I really didn't care, and was fully expecting the holds once I hit $100, but nothing.

I paid down my account with gift cards every few days, but never in full. My credit card was not charged until check out day. This was a 9 night stay.

My balance due did go over $1100 at one point. So if there is a limit to how much your balance can be, it's at least $1100.
DId you ever have a hold on your card?

We did a 4 way split stay in June, and I have to admit that I never checked my cc statement online to see what all was put through as holds and when we were charged. I followed this all before I went, and then once we got there didn't change anything with what I did and didn't notice any difference compared to previous stays. We had it split 4/4/5/1, and I believe I was charged 4 times, each at the end of each leg of the stay (except for a couple of charges that I had them do at check in, keep reading for details).

However, there was one noticeable change to me that did actually make a difference to us (it probably wouldn't to most people). We always do room only and only pay the first night deposit ahead of time, we pay the rest when we get there. I just don't see any point in giving Disney my money before I have to. In the past they have always charged us the room balance when we check in, and then put through the magic band charges at the end of the stay or when you reached that pervious threshold that varied by resort level (I think it was $2000 for deluxe most recently). Now they only do a hold for the room total that you owe plus the $100 extra hold, and don't charge anything when you check in. You pay it all at either check out or on the 5th day if you stay is longer I guess, and then at check out pay what you charged past the 5th day? It doesn't seem like it would matter, except that we wanted to charge the room to one cc to get a cc benefit from it and put another cc on our room for the MB charges. This really threw them for a loop.

When we checked into the BWI I didn't know things had changed, so I gave them the cc we wanted the room on and told them that. She said something about how they don't usually do it that way now, but since I didn't know things had changed I didn't realize what she meant. She asked me if I wanted her to charge it now and I was just confused and said yes. So she charged it and I gave her my Disney Visa for room charges, not realizing things were different and thinking we had just not been understanding each other well or something.

So fast forward to when we were checking OUT of the Poly for our second stay. I assumed I had paid the rest of what we owed on the room when we checked in, like we always have, but it turns out that was just the hold. I don't know what the CM had thought I meant or how he thought it would work when I told him and check in about using 2 cc. I guess he just ignored me? So our room AND all of our charges had still not been put through yet (I have no idea why, I thought it would have been done early AM of our checkout day which was also day 5). So they weren't able to put the room on one cc and the charges on another without a HUGE hassle. In fact the cc they had on our file was an old one I didn't want to use at all! Despite me telling them at check in that I wanted one cc for the room and one for incidentals, and I presume (I don't actually remember for sure) inserting both cards for them. They were pulling out calculators and trying to go line by line and add up the taxes, etc. (We had a lot of MB charges as well as each room night, parking, and all of the separate line item taxes per night) I was too afraid they would make a calculation error that way and just had them put it on the cc I wanted to use for the room, and had to forgo my disney points. They also checked us into our GF stay at the Poly, and I insisted that they put the room charge for our GF stay through then on the cc I wanted, and then put the second card for charging. But when we actually went to the GF later that day they hadn't done it correctly, and they had to change it. I had to give them the cc that I wanted the incidentals to go on, they still had that old card showing despite what the Poly had done. At least the actual room charge had gone through correctly. At the GF she made the first mention of things being different, saying that now they do it all different and that a lot pf people aren't used to it yet and they are seeing a lot of errors.

Now that I know how it's done I know to either call and pay the room off before we check in if we want to use 2 different cards, or at least make sure they go ahead and charge the room (not just do a hold) when we check in before we have any MB charges and then put the second card on the room for charging.

I did notice at the Poly when they did the charge for the upcoming GF stay I had 2 charge notifications on my cc that went to my apple watch - one for the room total that I presume was the actual room charge I had them put through and one for $100 more, which I presume was a hold. So I had over $5000 go to the cc right then - one was a charge and one was a hold for the total plus $100, even though we had just paid the total. Immediately after we had the charged from our entire Poly stay go through, that was quite the hit on our cc all at once! :teeth:

So, crazy long story short, it we hadn't wanted to use 2 different ccs for the room and incidentals I wouldn't have noticed anything different without checking my actual cc charges online. However, because of the specific circumstances we had (wanting to use 2 cards and not having them charge the room first at the Poly) it did become quite the issue. We did charge pretty much everything to out MBs throughout our stay.

Thank you - I guess that I will assume there will be an initial $100 charge and go from there. I am paid in advance and will be using the MB throughout our stay. I'll try to report back as to my experiences.

Exactly - assume there is a hold, and then you'll be set. If there isn't, all the better.

I recently had 2 separate 6 night stays at WDW. Both trips I paid off the balance a week before check in but used the magic band for room charges. Both times I only had a $100 hold on the credit card, on check in day. Never had a problem with charging to the room so I was happy. And we did charge!

We just got back from a triple split stay for 10 nights. All 3 resorts were paid off before we arrived. I did see $100 holds here and there throughout the trip since I did the online check-in, but I didn't pay that close attention. I used the MB to charge one time on the first night at Fort Wilderness and paid it off the last night (6 night stay) along with the parking fee/night. I had no problem paying the entire bill with gift cards.

However on the last part of our stay at All Star Music (3 nights), it didn't work out the same. I charged 2 bills to my MB. I went to pay everything off on our last night (3rd), and they had already charged my credit card. So I was only able to use my gift card to pay off the parking fee. The CM couldn't explain why the 2 bills ($150 total) had already been charged to my credit card. I was a bit irritated that I didn't get to use my gift cards.

Next time we go, I will not use the MB at all to charge. I will make sure I have at least 1 plastic gift card with me at all times. My gift cards were digital, so they scanned my phone or my paper print out. But it turned out to be more of a hassle. Some places didn't have or know how to use the scanner. And at an ice cream cart, the CM didn't know how to type in the numbers. So I would recommend if using gift cards, you use an actual card.

Just so you know in case it happens again, they can reverse the charges to your credit card and then let you pay them off with a gift card
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that was a possibility. Luckily we have a couple of trips planned, so I can still use my leftover gift cards for those. But if it happens again, I will definitely ask them to reverse the charges.

For international credit cards there are normally Foreign Exchange "fees" on top of the actual currency exchange. The rate on most Canadian cards is 2.5%. Some credit card companies keep the 2.5% on sales AND refunds. So a $1000 charge to a credit card and a $1000 refund could end up being a $25 hit each way. International guests should keep this in mind and challenge Disney on it if Disney goes ahead and does the charge and you had intended on using gift cards to pay it off.

Just so you know in case it happens again, they can reverse the charges to your credit card and then let you pay them off with a gift card

Please tell me how to avoid getting the $100 holds - after the first one. I am ok with one but not time after time. I am pre-paid for my vacation package and meal plan. We used our MB for everything else. If we stay under $100.00 a day- will we be ok? And is that $100.00 combined?(There are 4 of us).

I just got back. Every night I went and paid balance to zero. Never had any more then first hold. And it dropped off the morning after checkout. Worked perfect.

For international credit cards there are normally Foreign Exchange "fees" on top of the actual currency exchange. The rate on most Canadian cards is 2.5%. Some credit card companies keep the 2.5% on sales AND refunds. So a $1000 charge to a credit card and a $1000 refund could end up being a $25 hit each way. International guests should keep this in mind and challenge Disney on it if Disney goes ahead and does the charge and you had intended on using gift cards to pay it off.
Only if they do it early. You can't expect them to know what you plan to do or even hold off if you don't get by there till check out morning.
It will be on the Guest to get by there prior to check out day but if they have ran it early by all means put up fuss.

However on the last part of our stay at All Star Music (3 nights), it didn't work out the same. I charged 2 bills to my MB. I went to pay everything off on our last night (3rd), and they had already charged my credit card. So I was only able to use my gift card to pay off the parking fee. The CM couldn't explain why the 2 bills ($150 total) had already been charged to my credit card. I was a bit irritated that I didn't get to use my gift cards.
You could still have used your Gift cards. Did you ask the CM to back out the charges to your CC and then use your Gift card(s) to pay the full balance?

It should only take the CM a few minutes to complete the process but as always it depends on the skills of the individual CM as you indicated the issue you had at the Ice cream cart.

Dave

I've been checking this thread every so often as we have a trip coming up in August. Like many others, I don't mind a $100 hold at all. I also don't mind through out the trip charging my card what I've spent. Does anyone know if they fixed the frequent $100 holds. I understand the split stays and probably a $100 hold on every check in....but I'm wondering if they are still doing the continued more than one $100 pre authorization holds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter