New DDP- Servers not happy!

Originally Posted by KevGuy said:
But you know what I don't feel bad at all, they are getting what they deserve IMO. The main reason for the gratuity not being in the plan from my understanding was the big stink the union made about getting it removed because they weren't getting the whole 18%.
Wow did you hear wrong. The only way the severs "don't get the full 18%" is because its added to their paychecks. Lets say a server works 20 hours at $3(60 total) and received $300 in grat. Their paycheck would be about $280ish. The rest of it went to taxes.

There were no servers complaining about that. It was simply a case of the higher ups at disney seeing what other little tiny aspect they car cut to save them another quarter. They keep chiseling away at their cast members while filling their own pockets. It will come back to haunt them one day. Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he could see this company now.

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you sit on the corporate board of Disney and know everything. :rolleyes: How is it again you know this? Sorry but I'm not gonna waste my time looking for the thread where it was stated by someone actually in the servers union that they didn't want the tip included in the plan and that was part of the negotiation prior to release of the 2008 DDP, I imagine many others have seen it too. Believe what you want, so wil I, but I also believe your misinformed...:idea: Further proof lol, I believe Mr Disney is actually sitting in an urn not a grave. :rolleyes1 My, my, the hostility some people display around here is pretty amusing. :rotfl2:

What are you talking about? You really think servers work 5, TWENTY HOUR shifts? A majority of servers at disney are part time, and thus limited to the number of hours they can work. They are not allowed to average more than 24 hours a week, so thats 3, maybe 4 shifts. On average they work 2 or 3 days a week.

My example was for a week if you haven't figured that out. I was simply showing how its true they don't get all their grat, but thats because it goes to taxes.

Then don't work for Disney. Get a job elsewhere. If they need more hours or more money then find a job in a different business or an off property resturant. They did outlaw slave labor so they are not FORCED to stay and work for Disney

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you sit on the corporate board of Disney and know everything. :rolleyes: How is it again you know this? Sorry but I'm not gonna waste my time looking for the thread where it was stated by someone actually in the servers union that they didn't want the tip included in the plan and that was part of the negotiation prior to release of the 2008 DDP, I imagine many others have seen it too. Believe what you want, so wil I, but I also believe your misinformed...:idea: Further proof lol, I believe Mr Disney is actually sitting in an urn not a grave. :rolleyes1 My, my, the hostility some people display around here is pretty amusing. :rotfl2:

How do I know this? Let see, I dated a disney server for about 3.5 years, and am still good friends with a handful of disney servers. In fact, I met up at Fridays at LBV just friday night, and had some beers with 3 servers who just got down working their shifts. Unless you're a disney server yourself, I think I have your beat for opinions when it comes to disney servers. I've asked the servers I know(who comes from two different locations), not one of them said ANYONE at their location thought losing the grat would be a good idea. Some servers think they will still hold a good average for tips over all, but again, not one server is happy the grat is being taken away from the dining plan.

Disneys union said they were taking away the grat. The servers union had to toss something out in return, so they said they wanted 18% on DDE, and parties of 6+. Disney's cast member do not have the right to strike, so when disney says we are taking away __________, all they cast member can do is say, "well can we at least have __________ then?" and hope disney agrees.

Then don't work for Disney. Get a job elsewhere. If they need more hours or more money then find a job in a different business or an off property resturant. They did outlaw slave labor so they are not FORCED to stay and work for Disney

Coming in from left field huh? I never once said anything about the poor servers, and how they don't make enough, and are not allowed to work many hours. I was simply explaining the way in which grat is given to the servers paychecks. You might want to reread posts before attacking people.

Yes, automatic 18% gratuity in 2008 for any order made with a DDE card.

I used to add back in the 20% discount but I doubt I'll be figuring in the extra 2% now.

Guess I won't renew DDE this year. I don't like to be required to give a tip of a certain amount anywhere. It stinks! If I get good service I tip very well (around 20%) but if the service is poor, I tip accordingly. They are usually coming out less ahead when they require me to tip a guaranteed 18%. :cloud9:

sorry to go off topic.
what wonderful photo's you have in your post Rachelsmom1.
they brought a smile to my face.:)
Yeah...and a lot of perspective... Every once in awhile, it's good to be reminded what's really important!

Thanks, Rachelsmom1 !

Guess I won't renew DDE this year. I don't like to be required to give a tip of a certain amount anywhere. It stinks! If I get good service I tip very well (around 20%) but if the service is poor, I tip accordingly. They are usually coming out less ahead when they require me to tip a guaranteed 18%. :cloud9:

The servers have no control over adding 18%, its a rule they can be fired for, if they don't follow. If the service is awesome, what is stopping you from leaving a couple extra bucks on top of the 18%. There is no need to punish the server for following the rules.

The servers have no control over adding 18%, its a rule they can be fired for, if they don't follow. If the service is awesome, what is stopping you from leaving a couple extra bucks on top of the 18%. There is no need to punish the server for following the rules.

And if service is poor, what gives her power to deduct a % to lower the tip below 18%? Nothing, she can't do that. It's a double edged butter knife.

I was wondering about something & maybe "just another guy" can help.:goodvibes Do disney servers like the dining plan? I mean I have seen a ga-gillion threads about "my service was terrible because of the dining plan" what do the servers think?:confused3
I had great service both times on the plan and never got the "oh your on the DDP" attitude.:confused: When we go again next summer we are thinking about the deluxe plan and we will tip according to service, I was a waitress "back in the day" so I dont mind tipping!;)
thanks in advance.... just another guy!:thumbsup2
Dana

This is the usual mod reminder to please play nice or the thread will be closed. It seems a requirement for any thread where tipping is discussed these days:sad2:

Actually, all the previous posts I've seen by WDW servers expressed their displeasure in having the auto gratuity removed from DDP. I don't think they wanted it removed. It appears they were shafted for the benefit of others.

And if service is poor, what gives her power to deduct a % to lower the tip below 18%? Nothing, she can't do that. It's a double edged butter knife.

Disney strives for guests excellence, right? If someone isn't living up to that level, they won't, and shouldn't last long at disney. You can talk to a manager mainly. Let them know whats going on.

I was wondering about something & maybe "just another guy" can help.:goodvibes Do disney servers like the dining plan? I mean I have seen a ga-gillion threads about "my service was terrible because of the dining plan" what do the servers think?:confused3
I had great service both times on the plan and never got the "oh your on the DDP" attitude.:confused: When we go again next summer we are thinking about the deluxe plan and we will tip according to service, I was a waitress "back in the day" so I dont mind tipping!;)
thanks in advance.... just another guy!:thumbsup2
Dana

No problem. :thumbsup2

First off, let me tip off on the fact that if someone hasn't been a server, you really can't image what its like. Here's a quick example. What if you had a computer desk job doing whatever, and your boss paid you daily, based on what you hand in. Monday starts off with your computer screen not working. Once you get a replacement from IT, you're then having problems with the internet. Later in the day, the copy machine jams, etc. None of it is your fault, but at 5pm, you barely have anything to hand it. Instead of your normal "X" amount for the day, he only pays you 40% of "X" You did the best you could with what you had. Tuesday, your boss gives you a special assignment. Little does he know its something you've done before. At 5pm, you hand in twice what he expects, and he gives you 150% of "X".

Thats how serving goes. I would think an extremely large percentage of disney servers try their best everyday, but there are just things that get in the way. Lets say the Petersons just got sat at a table. They are already mad because they got a bit lost on the way back to the resort, and are now running late to see Wishes later. They looked at the menu online, and are ready to order the second they get sat. Just before they got sat, the Wilsons wanted to pay. They are on the DDP. The server runs their cards, but they are not credits left. The Wilsons insist there should be. Now the server is stuck on the phone with the front desk, trying to get this sorted out, while the Petersons are sitting there getting even more mad. Is this the servers fault? No, but most likely, the Petersons will probably take it out on the server via the tip. As much as it sucks, thats just how it typically works.

All that being said, as stated, all the severs I know love the DDP. It takes away the worry. Anyone who has server knows how to read a table. If its correct or not, people get stereotyped by servers based on where they are from(which country, or just what part of the US), their age, etc, ETC. Knowing someone is on the DDP takes away the worry if they know how to properly tip. There may very well be cases of a family visiting disney from the backwoods of KY. You can toss whatever stereotypical images along with this picture. The families yearly income is 30K. They have saved up years for this vacation. A travel agent recommends the DDP, and it sounds good to them, saving them some much needed money. Lets say its a family of 5, 2 adults, and 3 kids ages 10, 12, and 13. They go to Boma for dinner. I rememeber Boma is like $25 a person, so with tax we'll say its 138. Now back in KY, he tips Bessie .50 for his daily coffee and morning special at the diner. When his family goes out, he may $4. On a special occasion, they might go to Olive Garden, and tip $7-8. Now dad is trying to be a nice guy at Boma, and tosses down $150, leaving a $12 tip. Thats something he's never done before. While he means the best, thats only a 8% tip. If on the DDP(with grat included) the tip would be $27.

So going back a bit, if a server approaches a family who looks and talks literally like the cast of the Beverly Hillbillies, the server might be a bit worried. Finding out they are on the DDP(currently with the grat) lets the server breathe a bit more easy. The server would probably be thinking, "Wow, the DDP sure saved me on this table!" I honestly don't think there are any servers at disney who think, "Great, there hillbillies are on the DDP, now I can treat them like crap, and still get a nice tip" People with that attitude wouldn't last at disney.

Without the grat on the DDP in 08, servers will be left with their fingers crossed in such a case.

:scared1: That got long, hope I explained everything.

How do I know this? Let see, I dated a disney server for about 3.5 years, and am still good friends with a handful of disney servers. In fact, I met up at Fridays at LBV just friday night, and had some beers with 3 servers who just got down working their shifts. Unless you're a disney server yourself, I think I have your beat for opinions when it comes to disney servers. I've asked the servers I know(who comes from two different locations), not one of them said ANYONE at their location thought losing the grat would be a good idea. Some servers think they will still hold a good average for tips over all, but again, not one server is happy the grat is being taken away from the dining plan.

Disneys union said they were taking away the grat. The servers union had to toss something out in return, so they said they wanted 18% on DDE, and parties of 6+. Disney's cast member do not have the right to strike, so when disney says we are taking away __________, all they cast member can do is say, "well can we at least have __________ then?" and hope disney agrees.

Coming in from left field huh? I never once said anything about the poor servers, and how they don't make enough, and are not allowed to work many hours. I was simply explaining the way in which grat is given to the servers paychecks. You might want to reread posts before attacking people.

No not left field maybe right. And I beg to differ you did say they were not allowed many hours here is your quote............"They are not allowed to average more than 24 hours a week, so thats 3, maybe 4 shifts. On average they work 2 or 3 days a week."

And it was not a personal attack on you. It was a general statement made about the number of hours you said they were allowed.

hi everyone,

I am glad to see a thread discussing this topic. I myself manage a restaurant in Phoenix arizona, and unfortunately this problem is everywhere.
I have never been on the DDP, I was actually looking into it for my 2008 trip, and I have still not decided what to do yet.

I do have a few points though.

1. People that work in the food industry have made the choice to become a server, hostess, manager, whatever....and it is a TOUGH JOB! That being said, earning tips is part of the job, and no not everyone will tip the correct amount but I think that is a small amount.
I have been in this industry for nearly 15 years, and more often than not people tip the amount they should or even more. I almost think it offsets the bad tippers. I also believe that if you work in a location where most of your guests are tourists, tips will always be higher, and that's a fact..I have seen it my entire career.

2. It does frustrate me beyond reason that Disney had decided to cut the tip out, where it doesn't affect their pockets, it effects their employees!

3. I do understand the point where folks may have recieved bad service, and the server recieved a tip that they didn't earn because the tip was included on the plan....and I would HATE that if I was a DP customer.

All in all, I do believe this will be a good thing. It will be encouraging to those employees who are good to earn their tips, and the bad servers that make nothing because they are not good servers will eventually weed themselves out and find another job, because waiting tables is not for them.

I love the DIS boards, I think most people on here are caring individuals who are concerned for the servers, and if most people on here believe that, than I really do believe that most people in the "real world" are like that too...I think you hear about more of the bad than the good...because bad experiences tend to stand out like sore thumbs...
Hope my opinion helps!

p.s. sorry for an essay....!!

Personally, I loved the "tip included" DDP for a reason I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Perhaps I missed it... but I think I read pretty thoroughly. I loved having the meals and snacks prepaid, including the tips, so that our teenage children could have the run of the park during parts of the day (and DH and I could too), we could meet up at other times, and we could eat separately when we wanted... all without giving them hard cold cash to keep up with during the day. I can guarantee the wait staff was more likely to get the appropriate tip this way (and our kids were much more likely to actually get food to eat) than if our kids had to keep up with the money and make tip calculations all day long!!!

What are you talking about? You really think servers work 5, TWENTY HOUR shifts? A majority of servers at disney are part time, and thus limited to the number of hours they can work. They are not allowed to average more than 24 hours a week, so thats 3, maybe 4 shifts. On average they work 2 or 3 days a week.

My example was for a week if you haven't figured that out. I was simply showing how its true they don't get all their grat, but thats because it goes to taxes.

20 hours at $3 is $60. and $300 a week in tips.

That is $60 a day in tips, $15 and hour (x4). $15 and hour means they are only selling $80 an hour in food totals, so they only have two or three tables to wait on? :confused3

20 hours at $3 is $60. and $300 a week in tips.

That is $60 a day in tips, $15 and hour (x4). $15 and hour means they are only selling $80 an hour in food totals, so they only have two or three tables to wait on? :confused3

Glad you did the math and I didn't have to :teacher:........lol .

I have family members who are waiters and waitress' and there are nights they have brought home $200-300 in tips for one shift. This isn't the norm but, it has happened more than once. One of my nieces averages about $450-500 a week in tips at a seafood restaurant that is only open from 5pm to 11pm. She works 4-5 days a week so she averages about 24-30 hours a week. So if she worked a 24 hour week at $3.00 per hour plus $450 in tips she would make $522 for the week which is $21.75 per hour, not bad if ya ask me.

Glad you did the math and I didn't have to :teacher:........lol .

I have family members who are waiters and waitress' and there are nights they have brought home $200-300 in tips for one shift. This isn't the norm but, it has happened more than once. One of my nieces averages about $450-500 a week in tips at a seafood restaurant that is only open from 5pm to 11pm. She works 4-5 days a week so she averages about 24-30 hours a week. So if she worked a 24 hour week at $3.00 per hour plus $450 in tips she would make $522 for the week which is $21.75 per hour, not bad if ya ask me.

I work 40 hours a week and I can tell you I can make 500 a week on a good week, but its not the norm. So please don't assume all servers make big bucks because most of them don't. It can be good money, but that is the thing you give good service you get good tips in return makes up for the crap you put up with the job. Also my city is pretty big not as big as Indy but one of the major city's so its not like I live in the hicks. Got to go, get the kids ready for school and myself off to work.. :headache:

Personally, I loved the "tip included" DDP for a reason I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Perhaps I missed it... but I think I read pretty thoroughly. I loved having the meals and snacks prepaid, including the tips, so that our teenage children could have the run of the park during parts of the day (and DH and I could too), we could meet up at other times, and we could eat separately when we wanted... all without giving them hard cold cash to keep up with during the day. I can guarantee the wait staff was more likely to get the appropriate tip this way (and our kids were much more likely to actually get food to eat) than if our kids had to keep up with the money and make tip calculations all day long!!!

Quite true!!! Good point!

Once the tip is out of the collective bargaining agreement, it won't be back in for at least the period of the contract (3 yrs? 5 yrs?).

One thing to keep in mind is that the servers do get a very generous (for the industry) benefits package from WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter