• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Definition of Rental Activity?

Why couldn’t Disney get into the resale/rental business themselves?

I would think the name alone would get them the lion’s share of the business, and they could also undercut the other players in price.

And very soon Disney is the only one left standing.
The main issue with Disney being in the resale marketplace is the confusion around benefits. Disney would have to make it crystal clear the SSR contract listed at $100 per point through their resale site would not get them direct benefits even though it is ran by Disney

Neither David's nor the DVC Rental Store seem to particularly encourage the renting of confirmed reservations. DVC Rental Store didn't even accept confirmed reservations to rent until a couple of years ago, and the wording on David's website is:
Our guests prefer to select their required dates, resorts and room types so points available for rent are always more popular than confirmed reservations. We understand that sometimes an confirmed reservation made by a owner can not be safely cancelled without possible risk to the owner and so for that reason, we offer the ability to rent confirmed reservations made by owners. We will advertise the confirmed reservation exactly as it is made, offering it for the points required. Pricing will follow our current model of standard and premium.
And both sites will only pay you a maximum of $18 per point for renting a confirmed reservation.
These sites don’t, but https://rentals.*******.com/confirmed-reservations/ clearly does.

I hadn’t realized till I saw this page how bad an issue it is, when I saw just how many AKV Value Studios are up here for rent 11 months in advance.

The main issue with Disney being in the resale marketplace is the confusion around benefits. Disney would have to make it crystal clear the SSR contract listed at $100 per point through their resale site would not get them direct benefits even though it is ran by Disney
Ah, I understand that would be confusing.

They would essentially need two tiers of direct points. A cheaper tier with restrictions and no benefits, and then the standard direct tier.

These sites don’t, but https://rentals.*******.com/confirmed-reservations/ clearly does.

I hadn’t realized till I saw this page how bad an issue it is, when I saw just how many AKV Value Studios are up here for rent 11 months in advance.
THIS!
Remember that there are only 10 (or is it 8?) AKV value studios, and there are times of the year when they are ALL listed for rent on this site. The same goes for BWV standard studios (look at the September confirmed reservations).
No one is getting to use these studios for ‘personal use’ as they are all being rented out at $30+ per point!!
So I can 100% see why something needs to be done, but do hope it doesn’t kill the rental market completely, as I think it’s a great part of owning to have the comfort blanket of being able to rent if you can’t use your points.

THIS!
Remember that there are only 10 (or is it 8?) AKV value studios, and there are times of the year when they are ALL listed for rent on this site. The same goes for BWV standard studios (look at the September confirmed reservations).
No one is getting to use these studios for ‘personal use’ as they are all being rented out at $30+ per point!!
So I can 100% see why something needs to be done, but do hope it doesn’t kill the rental market completely, as I think it’s a great part of owning to have the comfort blanket of being able to rent if you can’t use your points.
There are 18 but split 10/8 between dedicated and lock off

Also, all these reservations seen on rental sites, facebook, etc are just a fraction of the total activity.

We are not seeing all the reservations that were already bought.
Exactly, and the fact that 1/3 of ALL the dedicated standard studios at BWV for the first week in Sept are advertised for rent on this one site, given that we are well past the 11 month mark and some will have already been sold, indicates to me that almost all of these rooms are picked up by renters rather than owner-occupiers. Hands up if you own at BWV and have managed to get a room for this week!

I think this is the very definition of ‘commercial’ use… I.e. seeking to maximise profit on renting points, as opposed to making a profit as an incidental part of renting points that you can’t use. Trouble is, Disney has no way (I assume) of distinguishing between the 2 practices.

I think this is the very definition of ‘commercial’ use… I.e. seeking to maximise profit on renting points, as opposed to making a profit as an incidental part of renting points that you can’t use. Trouble is, Disney has no way (I assume) of distinguishing between the 2 practices.
I think if they start checking the modifications of the names for reservations, they will quickly see who is just renting points all the time.

THIS!

it is infuriating. As an AKV owner, I feel like I'm always walking reservations for value or club and I will not let people make me feel bad about it because it's for my OWN use...

it is infuriating. As an AKV owner, I feel like I'm always walking reservations for value or club and I will not let people make me feel bad about it because it's for my OWN use...
I actually have nothing against walking reservations for either of those room types given the current climate of those rooms. This is coming from an AKV owner as long as you are using it for your own use

The new clause covers four separate but related issues which all presumably effect availability -
1) Renting
2) Buying & selling resales aka ‘flipping’ contracts
3) Owning points in excess of the maximum permitted via entities, partnerships, or trusts.
4) Creating/maintaining/using a rental or resale website.

New rules are one thing, but any impact will be measured by how vigorously DVC decides to enforce them & how successful their efforts are. I’ve already mentioned that we don’t yet know what DVC intends in regards to existing non cabin DVC resorts. W/out doing a deep dive into statutes & case law, we also can’t really gauge what remedies DVC has under Florida contract & tort law.
In situations where the entity owns the points, remedies to enforce them are fairly straightforward breach of contract type stuff.
As to the non owning rental sites & the creating/maintaining a website issues, remedies are more problematic, DVC might try to proceed under a tort theory seeking injunctive relief claiming that the owners of the sites/rental brokers are inducing breaches of contract.

And remember, the language about creating and maintaing a rental site applies to the owners of contracts and their own points being offered that way

So, that piece could become an issue for owners of those sites who also use them for their own points,, but I don’t see it impacting your average owner unless it’s determined they have a pattern of regular rentals.

IMO, this is set to go up after the commercial type situations.

I also think that it leads credence for me that this new trust association is for more than the cabins and that as new property is added and sold that way, they will all be under these rules.

Why couldn’t Disney get into the resale/rental business themselves?

I would think the name alone would get them the lion’s share of the business, and they could also undercut the other players in price.

And very soon Disney is the only one left standing.

Because they’d be competing against themselves via the cash side and I don’t see WDPR wanting them to do it.

Because they’d be competing against themselves via the cash side and I don’t see WDPR wanting them to do it.
That makes sense. I guess I was thinking more of the resale market than the rental market.

So just to be clear, if a gold membership can IM you’re ok with that…..🥳🥳🥳

However, I understand what you are saying,
Recently there was a poster with about 45 or 65 total post ,

And 9000 points to rent at 7 separate resorts …

I think that is where Disney is going with this …

I have 4 separate resort 3 separate contracts,

I think I done with renting,

It worked well for me,

But now I want to use my points

But I can see why members and Disney has had enough
To be clear my point was/ is none of this is acceptable .

That would be similar then…competing against themselves to sell.
Disney could sell 2 different tiers of DVC points.

Tier 1 similar to direct points now, with no restrictions and full perks
Tier 2, similar to resale now, with a cheaper price, but with restrictions and no perks.

Wouldn't this allow them to profit from the resale market, whereas currently they have none?

So just to be clear, if a gold membership can IM you’re ok with that…..🥳🥳🥳

However, I understand what you are saying,
Recently there was a poster with about 45 or 65 total post ,

And 9000 points to rent at 7 separate resorts …

I think that is where Disney is going with this …

I have 4 separate resort 3 separate contracts,

I think I done with renting,

It worked well for me,

But now I want to use my points

But I can see why members and Disney has had enough
To me and other older DVC members we
bought to have vacations with our families and friends. It was never meant as a business venture. That is the spirit of DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter