New Disney Film insensitive to adopted kids!!!

shortbun

<font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><
Our family was born out of adoption. Adoption is
a very cool thing and we are mad at Disney!!!
Their latest movie-some movie about a Bear boy in
a band is advertising with a trailer where the
Bear boy asks "mom, am I adopted?" and his mother
answers "Of course not, dear!" like being adopted is
something shameful to do and be involved with.
This is not funny nor cute. Adoption should not be
associated with shame nor be labeled as something
a child should not want to be. I am actually disgusted
that my ds has to watch this trailer; it isall over TV right
now. Luckily, because it's summer, TV is only on in
our house in the morning. We're too busy to watch any
other time. I'm trying to find a link where I can complain
to Disney about their marketing of this film. In 30 seconds
they do much damage to the psyche of a young adopted
child over and over again. Adoption is a wonderful way
to become a family and Disney needs to be told about their
insensitive and unacceptable promotion of this film. Please
join me in boycotting this film.
mimi

Shortbun, You know something...Now that I think about it...YOU'RE RIGHT!!! What was Disney thinking when this film was released? From just the short clips of the movie I've seen, they do depict adoption as shameful!!!:(

TC:cool:

Shortbun, I thought the same thing when I saw it. My youngest DS is adopted and when he commented on it I watched the trailer. They make it sound like being adopted is distasteful!
I'm surprised that Disney could be so insensitive. Needless to say we won't be seeing it anytime soon.:mad:

Yikes! We saw the trailer to that when we went to go see Lilo and Stitch, and I didn't notice that was said. The movie looked like something I would avoid like the plaque anyway. I'm sorry your son had to see that, and I do not blame you one bit for having a complaint, shortbun! I hope you find the proper channels to go through to let them know they are wrong!

Thanks for the info. We too have shared the joy in adopting a beautiful child. I'll write DISNEY as well.........

We have adopted siblings and frequent the FRUA organization website. They have a whole thread pertaining to this movie and there seems to be a lot of people in the adoption world upset and disappointed with Disney--rightfully so!

I haven't seen the trailer in question, but I can't imagine Disney doing something deliberately to upset adoptive parents or adopted children.

Is it possible that it was misinterpreted? :confused:

Can someone quote verbatim what was said besides the "mom, am I adopted?" and his mother answers "Of course not, dear!"

Just a question.....don't you think that perhaps the comment is tongue in cheek considering "bear boy" is obviously an entirely different um..... species?

That's what I thought, too, Nikole. I guess I didn't think much of it until I saw this thread.

I saw the trailer... I took it as the joke I'm sure it was meant to be. The bear is OBVIOUSLY adopted into the human family... don't think it's possible that he was born into it. :rolleyes:

I really don't see the problem with the movie at all. I went to see it with my cousins and their two adopted children. None of them were bothered by it in anyway. It's obviously a joke - I mean, he's a bear. He has fur. Of course he's adopted! What makes it funny is that he would even have to ask. The only families I could possibly see it as being insensetive to are those who have actually adopted bears.

I have to agree with Nikole and the others. It isn't like it is a little boy who is asking the question and his human mom answers in that way. It is a bear.
Sorry that it hurt you though. :(

I'm not as upset over this movie as some I know but I still will not go out and see this movie. For a company that has such a strong influence on our children I'm surprised that Disney did not put more thought into this. For years there was such a stereotype/myth about adoption and how many were ashamed to even mention it. I would like to believe that we've overcome that but after seeing the trailer for the Country Bears, I wonder. I expect a little more out of Disney than a mother standing at the table obviously nervous and stammering that "of course not" after being asked if he (the bear) was adopted. I just hope that it doesn't send a wrong message to the younger adopted children out there that may see this movie. I, for one, am not ashamed that my children are adopted--we celebrate it!

For those that were upset by the trailor, I would suggest seeing the movie before complaining. Dis is not going to take complaints about this issue very seriously if you haven't seen how this issue is handled in the ACTUAL movie.

I'm not going to start debating or throwing flames, but this is a very sensitive topic and unless you have adopted (or have been adopted) you come across people that "just don't understand." I won't go see the movie mainly because I don't think it looks good at all! I understand people boycotting it and not going to "preview" because why support it if it is sending the wrong message? Isn't the trailer to the movie supposed to give us the overview and main message?? And I don't think Disney will take complaints about this movie seriously anyhow--they don't care!!

Well said, Luckymommyx2....twice. As an adoptive dad, I see the same points. And welcome to the DIS. :wave:

Dan

Thanks Dan! I don't think anyone wants to start anything. I think we just want to share our feelings and if we get a little support along the way...even better!

Thanks again and take care! Congrats on being an adoptive dad! Aren't we the lucky ones?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter