New here...

ChrizJen

<font color=green>I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo
Hello, all!
I'm new here, and new to the whole EuroDisney thing. We live in the U.S., but my sis-in-law and her DH (in the military) will be stationed in Mannheim beginning in January of next year. So we're already beginning plans to take a big trip to Germany next year, or the year after. (and of course, it's only a 4 hour drive to Paris!)

As it stands, we're hoping to have 2 full weeks to devote to the trip, and we want to make the most out of it, and get the most for our money with the trip to DLP. We did some research last night about flights and airfare, and it seems surprisingly affordable! That was good news.

(We've never made a trip this big before. The only experience we have outside of the U.S. is the 4-night Wonder cruise we did last year! (and of course, Canada))

But any advice and tips for saving money and/or having more fun would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks!
-Christal :wave:

Hi ChrizJen - sorry if you've been feeling a bit ignored!!

Are you planning to stay in DLP or Paris, at all? Any idea what time of year you want to go?

Don't know if I can help with any money saving tips though - I'm not very good at that sort of thing!

Hi, Christal!

I'm afraid I won't be any help to you as I've not visited DLP yet, repeat YET!!!, but everybody on this board is very friendly and have helped me with lots of planning tips.:)

Elaine

Hi!!! Just to say "welcome" really!! You'll love Paris and you'll really love DLP. It has a special atmosphere all its own - different from WDW but just as good - more intimate I think (even though the main park is supposed to be bigger than the Magic Kingdom(!)
Can't really help with money saving tips either I'm afraid apart from buying an Annual Passport but that's probably not a good idea all the way from Missouri!! But it is wonderful - enjoy!!!!! When you get nearer the actual planning stages do ask questions here as everyone on this forum is really friendly and very knowledgeable!!:wave2: :sunny: :jumping1:

Thanks for your replies.
I'm not sure exactly when we'll be going. Probably not until late next year or early 2006. But that brings about the possible problems of seasonal operating hours. Also, are there times of the year that DLP would just be unbearable? I suppose that would just be a matter of personal opinion.
We want to try and stay at Disney for a couple nights and spend several days at the parks. I would love to hear your opinions on which of the Disney resorts are good, not so good, and which ones are more worth the money. (I know that Disney is good at making fun available in all price ranges, but experiences and opinions would be great!) We're also open to staying at an off-site hotel in Paris. It all just depends on price. So if anyone has experiences with off-site hotels, add those too! :)

Sorry about all of the questions...I'm just rambling. But as soon as we heard that my in-laws were being relocated to Germany, (although it's sad they will be so far away) we were very happy to learn that they would be within driving distance of DLP!:Pinkbounc

It's so far in advance, I know! But once I get an idea in my head, I just can't let it go! I'm like a child when it comes to Disney!:tongue:

Anyway, thanks again! I've got plenty of time to plan, but I can use all the advice I can get! :wave:

-Christal

I would love to hear your opinions on which of the Disney resorts are good, not so good, and which ones are more worth the money.

Disney's Hotel New York!! :teeth: It's not got the wonderful position of the Disneyland Hotel, but it's not got the price either!! It shares the same size rooms and bathrooms as the Disneyland, which are bigger than those at Sequoia Lodge and the Newport Bay, but it cost only a few pounds/euros more to stay there. The decor can be a little off putting to some people, but we found the rooms to be very nice.

The Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay are also very nice hotels, if that's what you prefer. But for us, now we've stayed at the New York, it's where we will go back to on our next visit, unless I suddenly become fabulously wealthy and can stay at the Disneyland!!:D

As for when to go? We always visit in winter, wrap up accordingly and love it. But I know that the cold would spoil it for a lot of people. If you don't like crowds try to avoid weekends and local school holidays. Here's a link to the holidays calender.

But once I get an idea in my head, I just can't let it go! I'm like a child when it comes to Disney!

I'm EXACTLY the same!!! That's why these boards are so great - nobody finds such behaviour the least bit strange!! ::yes::

Once we get a small matter of Holiday Inn visit in the next few days over with :D we are looking at planning next years DLP holiday.

Enjoying this thread regarding what is good about each hotel.

Regards
Reid :jester:

We have stayed at the Cheyenne and Santa Fe so far which are at the budget end of the Disney hotels but, as we literally only sleep there, there's no point paying more for facilities we wouldn't use. They are clean and have restaurants, bars and a shop if you want them. By the way, something you may not know about is the Fantasyland breakfast option which we always choose. If you stay at some of the onsite hotels (can't remember which, apart from the 2 I've already mentioned) you can get a voucher to have breakfast in a restaurant in Fantasyland at no extra cost and you can get in an hour before the rest of the public so you are right in the heart of the action when the rope drops. You usually have to book this when you book the hotel though you could probably get them when you arrive if they have enough.
I don't think any time of year is unbearable weatherwise. It can get hot in summer and cold in winter of course but not extremes. I definitely agree with Bexx about going in school term time - it's SO much quieter and you can just walk onto rides with no wait so you get a lot more done in a day.
So glad other people are Disney mad - we talk about it all the time at home and it's good to know we're not mad on our own!!

By the way, something you may not know about is the Fantasyland breakfast option which we always choose. If you stay at some of the onsite hotels (can't remember which, apart from the 2 I've already mentioned) you can get a voucher to have breakfast in a restaurant in Fantasyland at no extra cost and you can get in an hour before the rest of the public so you are right in the heart of the action when the rope drops.

It's available for guests at the Santa Fe, Cheyenne, Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay. I can possibly understand why it isn't available for guests at the Disneyland Hotel - that hotel is practically in the park anyway. But I don't know why you can't do it if you're staying at the New York or Davy Crockett Ranch?!

Hi

I'd say stay in Disney if possible. Of course it's just my opinion but staying in a Disney hotel means you really are right in the magic, plus you get the perks like the shuttle buses, shopping service (get your shopping sent back to the hotel), meeting characters in the hotel and the Good Morning Fantasyland breakfast - I would definitely recommend this, it's great to eat breakfast in the park and if you get there before the rope drop, you can go up to the rope while everyone's waiting and just walk through to Fantasyland whie everyone looks on, it's great!! Also you can stay at DLP no matter what your budget - we've been very happy with the cheapest hotels Cheyenne and Santa Fe, since we only sleep there we prefer to save our money to spend in the parks!

I definitely agree that it's best if possible to go to DLP during school term time, it's a lot quieter and also cheaper.

Thinking about it is getting me so excited for our next trip there!! You'll love it, shame you have such a long wait!

Becky I think I know the answer to this!

It's available for guests at the Santa Fe, Cheyenne, Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay. I can possibly understand why it isn't available for guests at the Disneyland Hotel - that hotel is practically in the park anyway. But I don't know why you can't do it if you're staying at the New York or Davy Crockett Ranch?!

What I've heard is that it is down to restaurant capacity vs occupants in hotel. So SL & NPB etc basically have more guests than the restaurants at the respective hotels can "cope" with for breakfast. The Hotel New York has less guest rooms but similar sized restaurants (maybe bigger?) than the other more populated resorts.

The Fantasyland Breakfast idea, although "sold" to guests by Disney as a guest perk (and a jolly nice perk too in my opinion - they sold that idea to me ;)) is in fact done to benefit DLP. They are moving guests from over subscribed hotel breakfasts into the park.

It made sense to me anyway!

Karen

They are moving guests from over subscribed hotel breakfasts into the park.

That definitely makes sense - those hotels are huge. And if you've paid to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, you're probably going to want to be there as much as possible!!! It's just a shame that you can't enjoy the perk if you stay at the New York. Not that that will stop me staying there! A different perk of the New York (and Disneyland) is that you can have room service. So for a few euros, you can tick everything on the breakfast list, and this huge tray of goodies arrives which you can then eat in the quiet comfort of your room! Wonderful!! :D

And no hordes of pensioners to fight over the last croissant with, Becky ;)

Thanks for the tips and the advice. As it stands, I think that it fits our schedule best to go in winter time anyway, so that should work out great!
As for the resort, we were leaning towards staying at Disney. I think it would definitely make the experience more complete.
Thanks again for your advice about the resorts and hotels. Great info! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter