New housing "Options"

Our daughter did the college program last fall. She met some roommates beforehand....they got along great, had a lot in common so they decided the "4" of them would live together in a 2 bedroom apartment. Well you know and I know....nothing ever works out as you plan!! She checked in last August and was very upset when she and the other girls were thrown in an apartment with 4 more girls......so that means.....8 girls in one apartment. Can you say MELTDOWN!! Thank God I did not check her in that day, my husband went with her and he had to calm her down. It was quite an adjustment at first.....my daughter called us the first 2 weeks begging us to take her home. We reminded her that this was her decision and she is sticking it out, its only 4 months long. It all worked out and would you know when the program ended in January, she cried her eyes out!!! She misses it so much and she met so many friends from all over!!;)

Oh, this resonates for me! I did the program MANY moons ago (I'm a full grown adult now but have fond memories of my CP) and wanted to come home SO badly in my first 2 weeks. For me it wasn't a problem with my roomies (I had 5 roommates in a 3br at Vista Way), they were mostly okay. There were other factors involved and of course, I called Mom crying my eyes out, begging to come home.

Just like you, she told me I made the decision and that I had to stick it out, she wasn't gonna let me come home without a fight.

Literally the very next day I felt SO much better. Ended up staying and had an amazing time and met so many wonderful people with whom I stayed friends for many years. January came around and just like your DD I was sobbing, not wanting to leave my new friends and the place that had become my home, lol.

Back on topic though, I could not imagine two other girls living in my apt in Vista. There was enough drama and lady shenanigans happening in that apartment with just the 6 girls!

My son doesn't check in until August 11th. I am hoping his housing plans work out. He has found three other roomates, and are open to two more. The young man he is planning on actually sharing a room with is the reason I hope it works out. This young man is diabetic and one concern he, and his parents, have is what would happen if he had an 'episode'. They were really hoping to find roomates that were familiar with his situation. Well, my wife is diabetic and my son has had to learn what to do in the instance that he is alone with my wife and she has an 'episode'. And, one of the other roomates is an EMT. So, for his sake, I am hoping that their arrangements work out for them.

The rooms are twice as big as my dorm was in college was and we had three people per room with no extra common areas. I don't really see anything wrong with it - would people have preferred they denied an extra 20% or so of accepted folks? Good for them for figuring out creative ways of accommodating more interns.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Apparently you don't know the difference between the WDWCP and living on campus, there's nothing creative about this, it's about more profit. Please don't think allowing more people into the program is Disney being generous. They need more cheap and qualified workers.

A little reality check: This isn't college dorm life, it's work life

In college: Everyone's schedule is very similiar - Classes by day, study and sleep @ night. food on campus, everything is close by

In Disney: WDW is twice the size of Manhatten, it's 24x7, you get your own food by bus, everyone has different schedules. There's cooking, cleaning, long bus rides. My S gets home from MK at 4am. Name 1 college that has its last class finishing at 2am.

My S has done both. It's not the same.

Apparently you don't know the difference between the WDWCP and living on campus, there's nothing creative about this, it's about more profit. Please don't think allowing more people into the program is Disney being generous. They need more cheap and qualified workers. A little reality check: This isn't college dorm life, it's work life In college: Everyone's schedule is very similiar - Classes by day, study and sleep @ night. food on campus, everything is close by In Disney: WDW is twice the size of Manhatten, it's 24x7, you get your own food by bus, everyone has different schedules. There's cooking, cleaning, long bus rides. My S gets home from MK at 4am. Name 1 college that has its last class finishing at 2am. My S has done both. It's not the same.

Your username is appropriate.

Class schedules vary wildly in the same college. I was in lab many nights until 4-5 am. I had friends who started labs at 4am.

I've done both. It's the same. The difference is, I was paying 1200/ month to share a dorm room. At Disney, I was paying $320.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

When I saw that they were doing this I couldn't believe it. All my friends from my CP last year were so relieved we already did it and didn't have to deal with this. Those closets and bathrooms are in no way big enough for three peoples stuff- not to mention if you all have to get ready at the same time. And if they're doing that the rent for those rooms should be way lower then what they've lowered it to. As it is its ridiculous how much Disney is getting per apartment weekly off of people making minimum wage.
I would definitely make sure I got an apartment that didn't have this option that's crazy.

Yeah, my daughter was in the same boat. Baddad, did your daughter get the "we're sorry gifts" when the new furniture was delivered? Has she heard anything yet about getting a new roommate? My daughter has not received any information yet. I am heading down to visit her in another week. Where do your kids work?
Haha what did they get as we're sorry gifts?

Remembering the kitchens...I am just wondering where a second refrigerator will go!

My daughter did this in 2007 so college was a few years ago but not as long ago as me and I know her dorm fees were not 1200 a month. I don't remember exactly but even then she had a private room in dorm suite like set up.

Liz

I have to say that this whole thing worries me a bit. I've applied to do the Aus/NZ ICP in 2015 and since I'm slightly older (I'm 30, having gone back to study after a career change), I was already concerned about finding one roommate who was around my age that I could get along with. The idea of living with TWO other people at my age is ridiculous. I haven't shared a bedroom in about 25 years and now I've got to deal with the fact that I may have to sleep in a bunk bed like a seven year old? Hopefully it won't come to that but honestly, this is taking things a bit too far.

To me, the biggest issue here isn't sharing the bedrooms but the fridge/kitchen space. I did the CP approx 400 years ago (okay, 14 years ago) in a 3 bedroom/6 person apartment in Vista and our kitchen and fridge were always at capacity. So I would definitely worry about that.

While I understand the frustration and worry from folks who found roommates on FB and now worry about those arrangements being thrown off by this new system, having done the CP at a time when FB didn't exist, I was placed with 5 complete strangers and though we didn't always get along, we made it work. No one moved out, no one was termed, no one left the program early. We all arrived on the same day and left within the same week at the completion of our program and capped it off with a celebratory dinner at Spirit of Aloha. I always looked at it as a good lesson in being flexible and adaptable which is a valuable skill out in the real world.

And as far as the argument that work life is different from school life, that is 100% true but work life in the CP is nowhere near real world work life. I worked 6 days a week mandatory overtime for the bulk of my program, all different hours and shifts and it was still FAR less stressful than school (my school at least) or my work life after the program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter