New parking fee at POP!

I'm sure there are many, many people who are not here on the DIS to get forewarning about this who will be extremely ticked off when they get their folio at the end of their stay with the parking fee, LOL. (Since I'm hearing a lot of reports that Disney isn't making this fee known to guests checking in.)
I have not checked, are they adding the parking fee when you do your reservation online?

I have not checked, are they adding the parking fee when you do your reservation online?

No. It's added to your folio and due when you check out. There's no mention of it during the online booking process. It's buried in the resort amenities section online.

I haven't checked either (my upcoming reservation was made months ago by a TA) but yes, according to dansdad above and others, it is not mentioned during the booking process. Which is crazy to me! I hope the poor CMs that work the desk (and probably had nothing to do with implementing the parking fee) are ready for the backlash they are sure to receive from guests checking out who didn't know this was coming!

What is odd, when I booked our room for July 4th they did have a spot where it was very clearly spelled out online. It was not fine print, not hidden.
It was also very clearly spelled out during online check in, even for stays booked prior to March 21st. Which was causing a lot of confusion. And may be why they took it off. But it doesn't explain why they took it off the booking page. Unless it was the same tag and when they removed the blurb that showed up during online check in it removed the one from booking.

But the charge can only be added at check out. It can't be added at booking because obviously they can't know who will have a car when you book. They can only know when you arrive and check out.

My thoughts exactly! I have had an annual pass every year for more than 30 years, and if you had told me in January that I would even consider not renewing, I would have said you were out of your mind. Fast forward to today, and I am giving it serious consideration. It feels like a betrayal, or like I am being forced to change my religion or belief system in order to survive. It goes right to my moral core. It’s not just the fee itself, but the feeling that they see us (those who have to drive if we go at all) as an easy mark. It feels like they see us as worthless and expendable in the big scheme of things. I do not know if I will get over it either.
Exactly my feelings, and what about the free parking at the parks for AP? is a value that we indirectly lose if we have to pay parking at the hotel.

Has anyone booked after 3/21 and had to pay the parking fee that did online checkin? How did they know you had a car to add to your folio?

FWIW, I just booked a new reservation today and it did mention the parking fee... but only after I paid the deposit. The parking fee mention was on the confirmation page.

Has anyone booked after 3/21 and had to pay the parking fee that did online checkin? How did they know you had a car to add to your folio?

When you scan your Magic Band to open the parking lot gate or when you show your ID to the guard your folio gets flagged that you have a vehicle.

When you scan your Magic Band to open the parking lot gate or when you show your ID to the guard your folio gets flagged that you have a vehicle.

But that is not accurate. You may be in your car or a rental. But you could be the passenger in an Uber or a friend’s car that isn’t staying. They should not be billing people solely on how they arrive, but on whether the car is actually present overnight.

But that is not accurate. You may be in your car or a rental. But you could be the passenger in an Uber or a friend’s car that isn’t staying. They should not be billing people solely on how they arrive, but on whether the car is actually present overnight.

If the car itself is not staying they will have a record of it leaving and not staying overnight. If they are using the system the paid big $$ to have installed properly, the license plate reader will let the resort know if the car stayed overnight or not. License plate is read on the way in and on the way out.

I will be looking at offsite next year if we do drive down.

I also think like many other things, some people who were ticked about this fee will suck it up, get over it, continue to stay onsite and pay the fee. And if I'm being honest with myself, I know I most likely fall into this category.
After the announcement of the fee, I started researching hotels off-site. I stayed off-site once, many years ago, but love being onsite and able to easily walk and take Disney transportation.

Something happened though, a tipping point. The bubble kind of burst for us. While I'm not sure if we'll stay off site or not, I'd like to try it. I also plan to switch from Deluxe Villa to moderate. We like to save up so that we can enjoy ourselves on vacation- but, I'm suddenly feeling very budget conscious.

After the announcement of the fee, I started researching hotels off-site. I stayed off-site once, many years ago, but love being onsite and able to easily walk and take Disney transportation.

Something happened though, a tipping point. The bubble kind of burst for us. While I'm not sure if we'll stay off site or not, I'd like to try it. I also plan to switch from Deluxe Villa to moderate. We like to save up so that we can enjoy ourselves on vacation- but, I'm suddenly feeling very budget conscious.

I've never stayed offsite while going to Disney, but I'm definitely open to it if we drive down. We usually stay for 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't mind trying an on/off site split stay.

How nice of Disney to notify their guests about the parking fee after they've already paid! :rotfl2:
Right?! I mean, I already knew about the parking fee, and it still felt a little bait & switch-y. IDK how I'd feel as a returning Guest who didn't know about it.

Unfortunately you undercut great points when you let your frustrations make you post ridiculousness.

BTW a trip to WDW has alwsal been a splurge for those who are lucky to afford it. That isn't new.

Disney used to not even come close to the cost of a trip to Europe for a family. Now it does. My honeymoon in 1999 was not even close to a "splurge." Tickets were around 40 bucks a day (full price) and our hotel at the Yacht Club was about 125 a night. Adjusting for inflation since 1999, tickets today should be around 55 dollars. We were very young and had no real money to speak of in those days and we had a great, deluxe trip. And the Adventurer's Club was still around.

So I certainly don't agree with it, but I think some people are missing the real reason Disney is doing this in my opinion.

It's not just to collect parking fees, though obviously that's part of it. It's to keep guests locked to WDW, and spending their money in the resorts and parks and not going off site, ever. With no car, you take the magical express from the airport, and every penny you spend (on food, souvenirs, experiences, etc.) until you get back at the airport to go home is going into Disney's coffers.

Yes, many are going to now choose to book offsite resorts, but I'm sure Disney is banking on the fact that those people would have left and spent money offsite anyway so they're going to spend about the same *in* Walt Disney World itself either way. Besides, the new parking fees more than make up for any potential losses there.

Well, Disney is losing that on-site resort booking, that has to hurt them right? Not really, because someone else will fill it in, and this new someone will now spend even more money on site because they didn't bring or rent a car to avoid the parking fee so it's a win-win for Disney financially.

People don't have limitless money. And even those who do can get fed up with paying luxe prices for mediocre accommodations with fewer and fewer amenities. Especially because they see the difference when they travel elsewhere. Disney has made some pretty significant missteps before by assuming that people will just pay up just because it's Disney, regardless of quality. Don't believe me? Go read about the first iteration of California Adventure. Total disaster.

Well, Disney is losing that on-site resort booking, that has to hurt them right? Not really, because someone else will fill it in, and this new someone will now spend even more money on site because they didn't bring or rent a car to avoid the parking fee so it's a win-win for Disney financially.
Actually that remains to be seen. Unless Disney resorts are always booked at 100% capacity, then no, there really isn't someone else waiting to take their spot.

Actually that remains to be seen. Unless Disney resorts are always booked at 100% capacity, then no, there really isn't someone else waiting to take their spot.

Yeah, like I said, I definitely don’t agree with it but I think there’s more involved than just the parking fee cash grab. Especially since the parks are getting busier and busier (no such thing as a slow time anymore) AND they’re in the process of opening new lands and attractions that will only increase the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter