New riveria add on, do they help get your first reservation if booked up? hubby is "new" member

auralia

DIS Veteran
I bought resale old key west years and years ago 50 points to test the waters, liked it. Added on 30 direct 10 years ago. Family is getting older and we are looking for bigger rooms. I opted for direct 160 points at the riveria. I thought about old key wast given the great pricing, but when you do the math over the life of the contract it was about the same and we plan to hand it off to our children eventually so they can use it with their families.

My husband is not on my old key west contracts, he is just on the Riveria contract and therefore is techincally a new member. He was told during the "welcome call" that we could get assistance booking a room as a one time thing with the contract. When I called to try to use this for just one night (we have a four day reservation booked months ago on my old key west points, but would like one more day that isn't available. I was told because it was an add on I am not eligable for this and it doesn't matter that my husband is a new member because I am "lead" on the contract. This is the first I've heard of someone being lead on a contract as though I own more of the interest than he does.

Thoughts? Should I try again? or do add-ons not count? DVC member services was quite condescending implying we already had your business so we don't offer that, and when I said my husband was a new member that was dismissed as well because my being a member canceled him out. I don't want to put in a waitlist because we were told very clearly if we try to book anything it will void the one-time "help". Also when I try to put in the wait list it says I don't have any points and thinks my home resort is the Grand Californian.... so there's that but i think that goes back to the first year of points they bought back.

No. Even when we bought and added the kids as new members, we were not eligible. The entire premise of this is to help a new owners navigate the booking process and potentially get them a room on short notice so they can use their new membership.

Since you are already an owner, and have booked trips and understand that, you are not eligible for this program.

AFAIK, the extra help is only for brand new members who have never booked anything on their own. Since you can''t say that even though your husband is new, it does seem that you don't qualify. Also, they can't help if there is no availability, so getting an extra night at OKW, when the resort is booked won't happen. You would probably be offered a night somewhere else.

Not sure why your Riv contract isn't showing available to book an additonal night for the OKW reservation unless the 7th month window isn't open yet. The only reason I can think of for the GC contract is that you purchased otup or received a point transfer.

We have never had anything to do with grand Californian just sold back the first year of points with membership magic. The actual room I’m looking at is at Disneyland hotel and is available via cash. We have 4 nights at Disneyland on old key west points. Stalked it like a crazy person to get the four days. It’s June 17 so close enough I doubt a wait list is even worth it. Bummer about the not getting help booking. Wish the guy in the intro call hand not told me we could or I wouldn’t have been disappointed as I assumed we couldn’t. I even asked for clarification and he said we could. I think that was the part that annoyed me.

We have never had anything to do with grand Californian just sold back the first year of points with membership magic. The actual room I’m looking at is at Disneyland hotel and is available via cash. We have 4 nights at Disneyland on old key west points. Stalked it like a crazy person to get the four days. It’s June 17 so close enough I doubt a wait list is even worth it. Bummer about the not getting help booking. Wish the guy in the intro call hand not told me we could or I wouldn’t have been disappointed as I assumed we couldn’t. I even asked for clarification and he said we could. I think that was the part that annoyed me.

Have you bought any OTU points? If so, that is where seeing a contract for VGC is coming from. Those points can come from any resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter