New to DVC. Tips and tricks needed

Plan Man

Mouseketeer
We are in the process of buying our first resale after many years of looking at the option.

I know the basics when it comes to 11 month. 7 month etc. but I am looking for that sage advice from veterans of DVC.

What is your best tip or resource for a newbie

Thanks!!!

Use Year is the hardest concept to master! I found out at the very beginning of our ownership that I needed a spreadsheet, or else I was going to get very confused, even though all our points are at one resort and in one UY (we have 2 contracts, each 150 points).

The column headings are Date, Points Added, Points Used, Bank From, Bank to, Balance, and Notes. I have formulas built in so the spreadsheet does the arithmetic, which is why there's no column for borrowing, but you can do it manually of course.

The most important thing is that I input the dates our UY starts, so I can put any trip I'm planning into the correct UY, and that determines which points I can use (banked, current, borrowed).

And here are our first two years of use:

DateEVENT (Can bank up to 100% by 4/30)Points AddedPoints UsedBank FromBank ToBalanceNotes
11/26/97Purchase- Use Year Sept. 97 - Aug. 98
300​
300​
11/22-29/97Stay at Polynesian
94​
206​
3/7-13/98Boardwalk
210​
-4​
9/1/98New Use Year
300​
296​
11/20-23/98Cruise
412​
-116​
11/23-26/98Boardwalk
144​
-260​
2/3-4/99Boardwalk
22​
-282​
9/1/99New Use Year
300​
18​

You might want to read this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-february-10-2021.1942668/

Last edited:
Enjoy the resorts! Seriously, I am an incredulous reformed park warrior. Now I'm all about doing all the resort activities, special foods, hidden hot tubs, good shopping, whatever. They're all cool in different ways.

Use Year is the hardest concept to master! I found out at the very beginning of our ownership that I needed a spreadsheet, or else I was going to get very confused, even though all our points are at one resort and in one UY (we have 2 contracts, each 150 points).

The column headings are Date, Points Added, Points Used, Bank From, Bank to, Balance, and Notes. I have formulas built in so the spreadsheet does the arithmetic, which is why there's no column for borrowing, but you can do it manually of course.

The most important thing is that I input the dates our UY starts, so I can put any trip I'm planning into the correct UY, and that determines which points I can use (banked, current, borrowed).

And here are our first two years of use:

DateEVENT (Can bank up to 100% by 4/30)Points AddedPoints UsedBank FromBank ToBalanceNotes
11/26/97Purchase- Use Year Sept. 97 - Aug. 98
300​
300​
11/22-29/97Stay at Polynesian
94​
206​
3/7-13/98Boardwalk
210​
-4​
9/1/98New Use Year
300​
296​
11/20-23/98Cruise
412​
-116​
11/23-26/98Boardwalk
144​
-260​
2/3-4/99Boardwalk
22​
-282​
9/1/99New Use Year
300​
18​

You might want to read this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-february-10-2021.1942668/
I think that the DVC Member site has seen great improvements over the years. It is much easier to both navigate and track than it used to be.

I think that the DVC Member site has seen great improvements over the years. It is much easier to both navigate and track than it used to be.
Been a member since 2017, site is OK at best. I can’t imagine how bad the old one was, if this one is much better.

Indeed it is, but I’m not so sure it helps very much in planning and projecting points use for future trips - considering how many posts we get here from owners trying to figure out how many/which points they can use. :cutie:

(And of course when I started my spreadsheet, the member website was quite a few years in the future! ;) )

Indeed it is, but I’m not so sure it helps very much in planning and projecting points use for future trips - considering how many posts we get here from owners trying to figure out how many/which points they can use. :cutie:

(And of course when I started my spreadsheet, the member website was quite a few years in the future! ;) )
Been a member since 2017, site is OK at best. I can’t imagine how bad the old one was, if this one is much better.
HaHa! I have been an owner since 1996. You don't want to imagine! It was always so surprising to me with how great Disney is with customers and how poor the DVC Member website has been.

As a relatively new DVC member, one of the tips I've learned from these boards is to book at your home resort at 11 months out for any anticipated trip. You can then try to change or waitlist to a preferred resort(s) at 7 mths. If you snooze you lose on availability. Realize that some flexibility may be needed and you might not always be able to get the best point value rooms (i.e. standard view). I try my best to use points that are in the use year of the trip I'm planning, then if I decide to scrap that trip they will return back to that use year for future use. If needed I will bank to add to the use year I'm planning for. For example I have a March use year 150 pt contract at BLT. Sometime in April 2024 at the 11 month mark I can book a March 2025 trip using 2025 use year points that I haven't received yet, if I decide later that I really wanted to go in May and stay at BWV, I can waitlist that at seven months(setting the waitlist to cancel the existing reservation). If I decide not to go the points will go back to 2025, no harm no foul, as long as I follow the cancellation guidelines of 31 days prior or more. I admit it was hard to get used to the idea that I'm not "pre-using" my points since I haven't received them yet! Since I'm relatively new at this, please someone shout out if I'm wrong!

And don't make promises - you may not be able to make them happen at seven months. Book home, make a list of what you would like to switch to, and see if its available at seven months. But don't get your heart set on VGF for this next trip.... unless that's home.

When bringing guests, have them put some skin in the game and get them to understand the commitment - all the money they will spend and they can't back out of it because there is a soccer tournament that week.

Decide whether you are a split stay person or not. People who are willing to do a single night here and there and move around often get much more chances at a few nights at BCV for instance. But other people (me included) prefer to check in and not move around. Either is fine, but knowing yourself is a good step to DVC happiness rather than saying "everyone on the Disboards...."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter