New Years Eve

boysmom123

Earning My Ears
DH and I are seriously considering spending the New year at WDW. I know that it will be very crowded, but we have talked about wanting to see the new year in once at Disney. :crazy: Does anyone have any experiences to share about this holiday time? We will be staying on-site from the 29-31 and checking in at BCV on the first. I am a little concerned about the crowds. I would like to enjoy new Years Eve, have a nice dinner and see the fireworks. Any suggestions or tips you could share would be appreciated. My DS's are 9th, 7th, and 5th grade so a late evening will not be a problem. Sometimes if you know what to expect you can plan for it better. Moderator, if this is posted in the wrong place please move. Thank you.

Best Advice!

Have your PS's Made! Get to the Park early and be prepared to stay the entire day!(NYE day)!

NY Day, go to MK as soon as it opens! This was the first time that we were able to walk onto Peter Pan! Compared to the crowds the whole week we were there, we felt like everybody left and the place was deserted! Well not really but all the popular rides were walk on! It Was Fabulous!

PrePlan, don't leave anything to chance and you will enjoy!

Scratch

Did NYE twice at MK. Yes the crowds can be huge but it was great. First time (2001) we stood in the circle area where the street comes in from adventure land. That was really shoulder to shoulder. Second time (2003) we were about half way down main street in the middle of the street and had plenty of space. We could see the tv camera hanging from the building at the end of the street - don't know which way they were aimed but would guess it was at the fireworks. They pass out hats and noise makers which we got the first year but not the second- somehow missed the info on where to get them. They had DJ's in the area near Space Mountain who had large groups of people joining in the macarena and line dancing as well as other things. Between the people, the fireworks and the "snow" falling on main street it was wonderful. At one point we could see other fireworks if we looked in a differnet direction. You do need to get to the park early that day and if you leave be sure to get that hand stamp. We had started our day at EPCOT and switched later in the day. In 2001 MK closed before noon to anyone coming in but by afternoon people seemed to be coming and going easily.
I imagine each park has it's own things that make it special so I would pick the one that your family likes the most and plan to be there in the evening, if not the whole day. If you are at the BCV and don't want to do a park that day just enjoy from somewhere on the BW. At least you won't have to wait for a bus to take you back. I had said for years I would never want to do NYE at WDW and now I can't wait to do it again. As long as you go with reasonable expectations and know you will have crowds you should have a great time.

We wnt once (to Epcot) on NYE. A few words to the wise-
  • get there EARLY, the parks may close to new arrivals
  • Be prepared for crowds, that was the most crowded I've ever seen the parks and we've been going for years.
  • carry a water bottle or other drink container with you. I was prepared for crowds, I was NOT prepared to stand in line for 45 minutes just to buy a Coke. Some of the kiosks even ran out of drinks that night
  • keep an eye on the kids. When it's that crowded, it's really easier to lose a "short person" in all those milling bodies, and finally
  • don't even try and get on all (or even some) of the rides. Just make that the evening to enjoy the lights, the fireworks and the spectacle. You will greatly improve your quality time.

Mikesmom said it well. We've done 5 NYE's so far, all at Epcot, our favorite place.

Forget about doing rides. For example Test Track gets a 2.5 to 3 hour line. If you can get some fast passes that better, but those all go early, usually all gone before noon, and even the FP lines are much slower than usual because of the crowds.

Get your PS well ahead of time. Even with them you'll probably have a fair wait. We've gone to get our PS seats a couple of times and have seen people who just walked up and were totally surprised they couldn'tget in at all. Couldn't even make a preferred seating for even laterin the day. Just like FP, all the PS can get used up.

Even the snack bars will get long lines.

The parks do have a graduated closing method. They first close to off-site walk-in guests. On-site guests are the last group to get shut out so you are in better luck there. I've seen it vary from year to year, sometimes guests can get in at later times, sometimes not.

It's a toss up about using Disney transportation or your own car. Both will be slow. If you drive, you may get backed up at the entrance booths. Busses can bypass, but I've also seen it where there were so many cars even the busses were stuck in traffic. Again this varies considerably from year to year.

Enjoy the evening and treat it as a totally different experience than you would for a regular park visit. You're going for NYE, not to be going to a park just like any other day.

And mind the CM's who will be doing their best to control foot traffic. One year we were there, in front of Mexico, there was actually gridlock and nobody could move. If everybody stays to the right so there's two way traffic, it works much better.

In the past, at Epcot, there have been three fireworks displays, They have illuminations at 9:00, so that families with kids can leave (but don't expect to notice any big difference in the crowds.) Then about 11:30 then have Illuminations again, then a short recess, followed by the NYE fireworks at midnight.

Be sure you've picked a spot to watch fireworks. People will stake out the best spots in the afternoon. If you've seen Illuminations then take your time and stand back a ways and you'll be OK even if you wait until shortly before everything begins. In the past, the NYE midnight fireworks have all been high in the sky, so you don't need to be at water's edge.

Don't try to move after the lights go out. With the crowds that big and poor lighting you'd have a tough time moving about.

If you're not tired, stroll around until 1:00 am and let a lot of the crowd get out. That'll make it easier to leave yourself. (For a couple of the NYE stays, we stayed at BWV or BCV so we could just walk out. That's was really nice)

If it pours down rain, there won't be hardly any crowds left at all by midnight. That happened to us a couple of years ago. :confused3

We have done New Year's eve at WDW the last three years. We went to a park in the morning and rode the rides before the crowds arrived, had lunch and left. We had dinner and then went back to the parks after dinner. Last year we at at the Grand Floridian with a 6:00 P.M PS then went to the MK after dinner. We stayed most of the night.

I have always heard about the parks closing but have never experienced it myself (actually on Christmas Day 2003, I had heard two of the parks had clsoed to outside guests). Last year the MK and the two years before we went to EPCOT in the evening without a probelm at all.

Make PS and plan your day well. For New Year's Eve 2003-2004, we got Fast Passes to Mission Space at 10:30 A.M. for that night at 12 midnight. As you can tell, it is very crowded.

HBC

You'll notice my tag about a hat and gloves......be sure to throw those in your luggage and include some kind of heavy layer, too. Polartec is great or maybe the heavy jacket you might wear to the airport if you are coming from a cold area. You may not need them but if it's in 30's or 40's NYE they will be worth their weight in gold when you are outside enjoying all the festivities.

Be flexible. It'll be crowded but it's also a lot of fun and the fireworks are spectacular. Enjoy whatever's happening rather than trying to fight your way to rides. We've got the luxury of knowing "we'll be back" and can enjoy the regular stuff another time. You can even take advantage of the lighter crowds on New Year's Day if you get going early in the day.

I just booked a studio at BWV for NYE followed by 5 nights in a 1BDR SV. I am excited about the possibility of NYE at Epcot. I am pretty sure that we will not be able to arrive early as we will be flying in that day. However, if I am staying onsite, will they turn me away because of the crowds? I thought it used to be that if you were staying onsite you got in no matter what. Has this changed? From what I am reading here it seems that it has. :sad2:

DH and I stayed at SSR from Christmas Day till New Year's Day this past year. We had PS's for dinner each night (2 nights we called and canceled them). On NYE we wanted to be in the MK. We had PS's for breakfast at Crystal Palace and dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. We saw the parade in the afternoon, Spectromagic at night and Wishes. After Wishes we could not move on Main Street. We imagined getting out of there after the midnight fireworks and decided to leave right then, at 10:15 or so. We were alone walking our the place and going to our car. At midnight we had the most spectacular view of the fireworks from our veranda facing Pleasure Island. It was as if they were in our own backyard. It was a great surprise and after they were over we poured ourselves a glass of wine and enjoyed the night!

We did NYE 1999/2000 at Epcot, and while it was packed and you could not hardly move a pinkie without poking someone in the eye, it was a LOT of fun! So much fun, in fact, that we are planning to do it again this year. I'll be making my ADR for late on NYE in hopes of getting a good viewing area for Illuminations and midnight without battling for a spot at the rail early in the day. Last time we saw folks sitting by the rail or parking blankets there as soon as they could. Nope, that wont be me. Even for that Millennium spectacular, we had no problems getting into Epcot at 2 PM that day. We were one of the last to get in though, and they had closed the park to off-site folks in the morning. Just a quick FYI...If you have a PS for one of the WS restaurants, don't forget that they celebrate midnight in that country's time, so Germany, England etc, will be celebrating about 6 PM. We made the mistake of having a 6 PM reservation for dinner last time, and it was tough to get to the restaurant with all the reveling in that 'country'.

Note: If anyone wants to post to this thread, note that it's actually an old thread from 6-months ago that riu girl resurrected for some reason, without comment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter