New York planning advise needed

Umm not to freak you out but I’m pretty sure there is just one lift at TOTR. ESB splits the ride into 2. From what I remember, at TOTH we went up stairs to the second or third level then waited in a queue, took a picture then took the lift to the 68th floor. From there you can take the escalator to 69 & 70. They count how many people get on the lift each time so it isn’t too crowded. The ride takes about a minute, it’s really cool. Not like thrill ride fast but, the ceiling is glass and they do a light show. You can see the entire shaft pass by as you ride up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfHfa5GoLgc&feature=player_embedded . I just visited Q1 on Gold Coast and it was pretty much the same type of thing (minus the laser light show)!

Umm not to freak you out but I’m pretty sure there is just one lift at TOTR. ESB splits the ride into 2. From what I remember, at TOTH we went up stairs to the second or third level then waited in a queue, took a picture then took the lift to the 68th floor. From there you can take the escalator to 69 & 70. They count how many people get on the lift each time so it isn’t too crowded. The ride takes about a minute, it’s really cool. Not like thrill ride fast but, the ceiling is glass and they do a light show. You can see the entire shaft pass by as you ride up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfHfa5GoLgc&feature=player_embedded . I just visited Q1 on Gold Coast and it was pretty much the same type of thing (minus the laser light show)!

:scared1: :lmao: OK, I don't know how I'm going to go at either. Seeing that lift with the open roof. Although if I don't look up it may be OK. I have never been up Q1 because I have no desire to go up in that lift :rotfl: I drive past it almost daily and have never been up there.

I may end up admiring both TOTR and ESB from below but I really would love to see the view from the top. Will see how we go. I had to get off Nemo at Disneyland once the ride was full but just before the closed the hatches because it was too claustrophobic, how embarassing :rotfl: and I just had to have my first ever MRi/MRA when they had to see the extent of my torn artery and how much it had blocked the artery and it took two valium (had not had that before either :upsidedow) to get me into the machine. I'm dreading the next MRA in a month, but at least I don't have to go up in the lift to the top of the buildings and I know this, I can jump out before the door closes if I can't cope, I have to have the MRA, that is not an option.

:scared1: :lmao: OK, I don't know how I'm going to go at either. Seeing that lift with the open roof. Although if I don't look up it may be OK. I have never been up Q1 because I have no desire to go up in that lift :rotfl: I drive past it almost daily and have never been up there.

I may end up admiring both TOTR and ESB from below but I really would love to see the view from the top. Will see how we go. I had to get off Nemo at Disneyland once the ride was full but just before the closed the hatches because it was too claustrophobic, how embarassing :rotfl: and I just had to have my first ever MRi/MRA when they had to see the extent of my torn artery and how much it had blocked the artery and it took two valium (had not had that before either :upsidedow) to get me into the machine. I'm dreading the next MRA in a month, but at least I don't have to go up in the lift to the top of the buildings and I know this, I can jump out before the door closes if I can't cope, I have to have the MRA, that is not an option.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Atleast you know what to expect. If you can manage the lift, the views from TOTR are fantastic! BTW Q1 is pretty cool too! Unlike ESB and TOTR the observation level is enclosed. You can get some great view of Gold Coast & the ocean. That stinks about the MRi, I hope all is well.

Can anyone give me more info on the subway. Nervous and excited to give it a try.

It depends on where you are planning on heading to on the subway.....

I've used the subway everytime I've been to NYC; mostly in Manhattan area.

The last time I was there was 2007, I think I bought a card to ride; but cannot remember how much or any specific details. I do remember that I thought it was comparable to train fares in Melbourne; but a little more expensive. We used it to get between Battery Point/World Trade Centre site up to Times Square; Times Square to Central Park; and over to Penn Station and Lexington (I think).

I caught the subway by myself one morning at about 7 am from around Time Square to around the World Trade area; and felt relatively safe.
We didn't get on the subway after 7 pm.

I believe that a lot of New Yorkers do it. ;)

I've never been brave enough to take the subway out of Manhattan. Perhaps another Aussie Dis-er has? Otherwise, you can tell us all about it when you get back! popcorn::

We only used the subway in NY. We stayed on the Upper West Side, and had absolutely no issues - we travelled night and day on a 7 day pass during peak hour and late at night. There are so many tourists on board - everyone is sitting there with a map.

We thought the subways were cleaner than the train system in Sydney.

My only word of caution - the automated ticket machines do not give out large amounts of change - we could not use a $50 note to purchase a weekly pass, we had to go and get our $50's changed into smaller notes.

Well I was wondering about catching the subway to places like New Jersey, Brooklyn, etc.?

The subway does not run to Jersey, you can take the PATH train (depending on where you want to go) or NJ transit trains or buses.

The subway does go to Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.

I've taken the subway home at 2am before without any problem. It really depends on where you're going etc.

I'd be happy to (at least try) to answer any questions you might have about NYC. :goodvibes
It seems there's lots of Aussies here on the DIS who already have loads of info for ya, which is cool! :)

I am after some advise:

We have two and a half days in NY.

DD's want to go see the Statue of Liberty so I have booked tickets for that including go up inside and an audio tour at 2pm on the second day.

DD's love Night at the Meseum. DW wants to go up ESB, see Central Park, go to FAO Schwarz and see some shops.

What else can we fit into the time we have? What is the best way to make use of our time?

I am off to a Yankees game one night with the father of the other family meeting us in NY. Any suggestions on how we can get there and back??

I am after some advise:

DD's want to go see the Statue of Liberty so I have booked tickets for that including go up inside and an audio tour at 2pm on the second day.
DD's love Night at the Meseum. DW wants to go up ESB, see Central Park, go to FAO Schwarz and see some shops.
I am off to a Yankees game one night with the father of the other family meeting us in NY. Any suggestions on how we can get there and back??

We did the Staten Island Ferry, then China Town, Little Italy and the Lower East Side in one day before arriving at the ESB around 6-6.30pm - it was a really good time to go, not a long queue - though we were there on a 'brisk' April evening.

For the museum - I would get the subway up to the museum, then walk back through Central Park (the John Lennon memorial in near the museum) to FAO Schwarz (Apple store is right next door).

You will have no problems finding shops... but I can't help you with the Yankees game.

Don't worry about your fear of heights, you will be fine. We went last year in June. I have to say after going to disneyland for a week NYC well it just wasn't as exciting for us. I guess because our youngest was 2 at the time. We did the empire state building at sunset and boy was it crowded!!!!! I really found it hard to be able to look out through all the people. If you are worried about heights just don't look down your will be fine. But I agree I think going early in the morning would be the best time, beat those crowds. You barley realise how far you are travelling because like the others said you kinda go up a lift then out and walk around the lines to get to another lift....this all takes about 30mins. Well thats with the crowds most likely not as long if you do the whole morning thing. We did the horse and cariage through central park, it was lovely but not very long. You will see more on foot, but it is a must to do. We actually had to pick my fathers ashes up from NYC so maybe that is why I didn't enjoy it as much? I just found because we had 3 kids by our side it got stressful at times with so many people around:scared1: Kids loved toys R us building. Did ground zero which was interesting and very moving. All in all glad we did NYC, but would be happy not to go again until the kids are much older, I think you can cover most things in a few days. We found 5 nights to long for the kids,3 would of been plenty. Hope this helps with your planing:thumbsup2

We had the total opposite experience. We were in NYC for 10 days and it wasn't enough time. And my kids absolutely loved it. We all want to go back and next time we want to stay even longer!

I am after some advise:

We have two and a half days in NY.

What else can we fit into the time we have? What is the best way to make use of our time?

We caught the subway to Yankee Stadium. I'd have to look at a map to jog my memory but it was an easy ride. We got on around Wall St and got off outside Yankee Stadium.

We caught the subway everywhere. We bought one Metro Card and used it for all of us. We originally put $40 on it and we uploaded more money a few times. Once you get the hang of the different lines it's really easy and we never felt unsafe. We caught the subway into The Bronx and Brooklyn as well as all over Manhattan. The only issue I did have with it was the smell. It stinks! :scared1:

The other thing was that it was so convenient and easy to use but we didn't see anything along the way. We spent a lot of time underground when we would have preferred to have been on buses so we could sitesee at the same time.

We caught the subway to Brooklyn and ate at Grimaldi's Pizzeria under the Brooklyn Bridge, then we walked back into Manhattan across the bridge. I really don't know how long it took as I wasn't paying attention. Maybe 45 minutes. It was a lovely walk though, I'm so glad we did it.

What else? We had the CityPass so did both TOTR and Empire State. Neither were big lines so we didn't wait to long to get up, but the crowds at the top of Empire State were out of control and it was near impossible to get to the front to see anything. Next time I will go early in the morning to try to beat the crowds.

I'm totally jealous of everyone heading to NYC soon. I absolutely adore that city :love:

We caught the subway into The Bronx and Brooklyn as well as all over Manhattan.
Do you know if there is a subway stop near The Bronx Zoo? We are thinking of going to the Zoo and don't know wether to take the subway, bus or taxi. Is the Bronx safe, I have visions of drive by shootings :rotfl: stupid I know!

The only issue I did have with it was the smell. It stinks! :scared1:
YUK :sick:

The other thing was that it was so convenient and easy to use but we didn't see anything along the way. We spent a lot of time underground when we would have preferred to have been on buses so we could sitesee at the same time.

We caught the subway to Brooklyn and ate at Grimaldi's Pizzeria under the Brooklyn Bridge, then we walked back into Manhattan across the bridge. I really don't know how long it took as I wasn't paying attention. Maybe 45 minutes. It was a lovely walk though, I'm so glad we did it.
The subway stop to Brooklyn, was the stop close to Grimaldis? I am terrible with directions, that's why I like taxis, they take me right to the door so I can't get lost :lmao: I LOVE this idea, going to Grimaldi's (either by subway or if too overwhelmed with that a taxi) then walking back over the Brooklyn Bridge, that is one of our must do's on the trip.

What else? We had the CityPass so did both TOTR and Empire State. Neither were big lines so we didn't wait to long to get up, but the crowds at the top of Empire State were out of control and it was near impossible to get to the front to see anything. Next time I will go early in the morning to try to beat the crowds.

I'm totally jealous of everyone heading to NYC soon. I absolutely adore that city :love:

Thanks for all of your info :goodvibes

I've been on the computer half the day today booking and cancelling some ADR's and trying to get NY all planned, have rough plans but keep changing :rotfl:

DizOz,

We took the subway to a night Yankee game while we were there. Very easy as the station is right next to the stadium (although this was when it was the old stadium - but I imagine the new set up is the same) Also felt extremely safe as there were thousands of other people doing the same thing.

Another vote here about using the subway in NY. We find it really handy to do. Now, we are from a fairly small place & don't even really have to normally catch a bus anywhere, let alone a train. We felt comfortable using the subway during the day & early evening, but didn't try it late at night (just got cabs then). I found it llike anything else in a big city - just be sensible & keep your wits about you. Some stations are cleaner than others, & a lot are just plain dirty & old, but again we pretty much expected that. Most rides were uneventful, but sometimes there would be people walking up & down the aisles trying to sell things or talking abour religion. They are not allowed to do this but some do. Everyone would just ignore them & they would walk past quickly (we were the ones watching with the goggle eyes to see what would happen next). I hope I don't turn anyone off trying the subway, because out of probably 100 rides we have taken, this has only happened about 5 or 6 times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter