New Zealand 2022 reopening

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
The first trips up on the calendar for ABD for the inaugural trip for ABD New Zealand is October 2022. There are two trips, both still a go. By the beginning of October, New Zealand should be fully open to tourists.

Per the Washington Post this morning (and Sky news last night), NZ is beginning a systematic reopening with a commitment to move from pandemic to endemic.

" now, with the great majority of New Zealand’s 5 million people fully vaccinated, the prime minister said it was time to open up.
“We must turn to the importance of reconnection. Families and friends need to reunite. Our businesses need skills to grow. Exporters need to travel to make new connections,” she said....93 percent of New Zealand residents who are 12 or older are fully vaccinated, according to the Health Ministry."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/03/new-zealand-border-reopening-covid/
This looks like the last of the "super itineraries" from ABD. We are booked with multiple pre and post days as well - again probably the last of the super trips they offer as things seem to be more limited in their activity offerings now. This trip sold out immediately when first announced - and like everything- was cancelled. Unlike the Rhone River trip, this once is still surviving to move forward; Rhone never happened at all. We are truly excited to go - just take a look at what they show and where.

Last edited:
I was one who was also booked on the inaugural trip. Maybe it’s finally time to look to rebook. Hopefully the expected removal of all travel restrictions in October will include no self-isolation period by then. But as we all have seen, nothing is certain until it happens and things can change quickly.

I was one who was also booked on the inaugural trip. Maybe it’s finally time to look to rebook. Hopefully the expected removal of all travel restrictions in October will include no self-isolation period by then. But as we all have seen, nothing is certain until it happens and things can change quickly.
We are on the October 31 trip now, so that if there are issues they are worked out by the second trip, or if things get rolled back a little, it's still a go. My cousin was the military attache assigned there for multiple tours - she looked at the ABD plans and was wowed. She has been back many times, and is considering booking this trip as well. She says it hits everything, and puts you in place for a pre day or two and a post day or two to take on the more risky activities like bungie jumping and Milford sound.

New Zealander here. Yes, we are rapidly dropping any restrictions for international travel which is great. However, 1. it has yet to happen (except from Australia and some Pacific Islands) 2. a lot could change between now and later this year. This government tends to change it's covid restrictions at a moments notice, so although the trip sounds amazing I would put it off for a little while longer until things are more predictable.

We are on the October 31 trip now, so that if there are issues they are worked out by the second trip, or if things get rolled back a little, it's still a go. My cousin was the military attache assigned there for multiple tours - she looked at the ABD plans and was wowed. She has been back many times, and is considering booking this trip as well. She says it hits everything, and puts you in place for a pre day or two and a post day or two to take on the more risky activities like bungie jumping and Milford sound.
That’s great to hear the positive feedback from your cousin. DD and I had to cancel an Australia trip awhile back and were going to rebook for this October, but the departure we wanted was waitlist only. So we booked New Zealand for Oct 31st, and are glad we switched. After the ABD we will take an 8 day Princess cruise out of SYD, so we will still see Australia. But we are really excited about the NZ itin! Just booked a few days ago, but we’ve got the tour, cruise, all the air, pre cruise hotel and insurance all done!

We are booked for the December 22 trip. So excited. Any tips on travel? The flights we are looking at arrive at 6:30 am. Is that enough to let us get over jet lag (coming from Eastern USA) before the reception/dinner? Any preferred airlines? Think more airlines will resume flights now that they have opened up? This is our first ABD and we decided to start big. Will be bringing our teen and elementary school age kids. Any advice is appreciated.

We are booked for the December 22 trip. So excited. Any tips on travel? The flights we are looking at arrive at 6:30 am. Is that enough to let us get over jet lag (coming from Eastern USA) before the reception/dinner? Any preferred airlines? Think more airlines will resume flights now that they have opened up? This is our first ABD and we decided to start big. Will be bringing our teen and elementary school age kids. Any advice is appreciated.
We are also on the Dec 22 trip… hoping American decides to proceed with the direct flight from DFW-AKL by then. My boys are 13 and 14 - look forward to meeting you! When we did the Australia ABD in 2017 we got there a few days early which helped a bit with the time change.

We are also on the Dec 22 trip… hoping American decides to proceed with the direct flight from DFW-AKL by then. My boys are 13 and 14 - look forward to meeting you! When we did the Australia ABD in 2017 we got there a few days early which helped a bit with the time change.
We'd love to get the DFW-AKL flight. My boy will be 14 by the trip! Thanks for the tip about going early.

I would never arrive the day the ABD starts, especially after such a long flight and such an early arrival. The chances of you still being awake by the time the Welcome reception/dinner happens is slim to none in my opinion. I'd say arrive at *least* a day early, 2 if you can manage it. The jet lag will be crazy. And honestly, if there are any flight delays, you could end up missing the start of the ABD that day. Why stress yourself out that way? You're going all the way to New Zealand. Allow it to be relatively less stressful, and allow yourself time to recover so that you can enjoy the trip!

My other advice is to plan something that involves walking outdoors for your arrival day. I do find that helps with the jetlag, and makes it possible to wait to a semi-normal time to get to bed that first night.

Sayhello

I would never arrive the day the ABD starts, especially after such a long flight and such an early arrival. The chances of you still being awake by the time the Welcome reception/dinner happens is slim to none in my opinion. I'd say arrive at *least* a day early, 2 if you can manage it.
Got to agree with Tobi on this. To add to what she says, the actual ABD is very busy and you don't want to start off jet lagged/fatigued.

I would never arrive the day the ABD starts, especially after such a long flight and such an early arrival. The chances of you still being awake by the time the Welcome reception/dinner happens is slim to none in my opinion. I'd say arrive at *least* a day early, 2 if you can manage it. The jet lag will be crazy. And honestly, if there are any flight delays, you could end up missing the start of the ABD that day. Why stress yourself out that way? You're going all the way to New Zealand. Allow it to be relatively less stressful, and allow yourself time to recover so that you can enjoy the trip!

My other advice is to plan something that involves walking outdoors for your arrival day. I do find that helps with the jetlag, and makes it possible to wait to a semi-normal time to get to bed that first night.

Sayhello
Thank you! Very helpful.

I realize things may change between now and October, but here is an article about what it’s like to get now, at the initial NZ reopening

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-zealand-reopening-travel/
I saw the same article and got very excited since it seems they’re re-opening ahead of their proposed schedule. Maybe my NZ ABD has a chance of going in December. However, it’s going to be interesting to see how ABD would navigate the testing requirement on day 0 and 5. If you test positive on either of those days, it would be a nightmare because your trip would be over.

I saw the same article and got very excited since it seems they’re re-opening ahead of their proposed schedule. Maybe my NZ ABD has a chance of going in December. However, it’s going to be interesting to see how ABD would navigate the testing requirement on day 0 and 5. If you test positive on either of those days, it would be a nightmare because your trip would be over.
Suspect they will cancel if that’s still a requirement by then

Great news for anyone in DFW going to NZ this fall:

American Airlines relaunching delayed route from DFW Airport to Auckland, New Zealand​

The pandemic delayed the route in October 2020, but it’s now back on the Fort Worth-based carrier’s fall schedule.​

American Airlines will finally fly from DFW International Airport to Auckland, New Zealand, this fall on a route delayed two years because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines announced the route back in October of 2019 with plans to start flying in October 2020, but DFW-Auckland found itself a casualty of the drop in international travel during the pandemic.

Now American plans to bring the flight back starting Oct. 29 with daily nonstop service on a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner jet.

“Auckland joins a lineup of exciting international destinations that we offer from DFW, and as DFW’s hometown airline, we are proud to open the splendors of New Zealand to our local customers and those who connect through DFW from across our global network,” said Jim Moses, American’s vice president of DFW Operations, in a statement.

The flight to Auckland, New Zealand’s biggest city, will run through March 25.

The flight reconfirms plans for American Airlines to make DFW International Airport its “trans-Pacific hub,” a designation it gave the North Texas airport in 2019. But most flights to Asia, and even Australia, have been cut since 2019. Even with a boost in international traffic, American is only flying to Japan, South Korea and India at the moment as China is still severely limiting travel due to its COVID policies.

“DFW is one of just a handful of global gateway airports that grew international destinations over the last two years, and this flight will further strengthen our connectedness and demonstrates that international travel demand is returning,” said John Ackerman, DFW’s executive vice president global strategy and development, in a statement.

New Zealand requires anyone over 17 traveling into the country to be vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the U.S. Embassy in New Zealand. The United States likewise requires a negative COVID-19 test for citizens and foreign nationals before reentering the country.

American’s Auckland route will join flights by Australian carrier Qantas to Sydney and Melbourne in Australia after Qantas announced a new DFW-Melbourne route in March set to start on Dec. 2.

The flight between DFW International Airport and Auckland will be one of the longest flights available, at about 15 hours, taking off from DFW at 10:30 p.m. and arriving in Auckland at 7:45 a.m. two days later, accounting for the 17-hour time difference between the two regions.

Adding the flight to Auckland will give American Airlines 50 international destinations flown from DFW Airport in October. There are 72 international flights from DFW in total for October.

That’s great to hear the positive feedback from your cousin. DD and I had to cancel an Australia trip awhile back and were going to rebook for this October, but the departure we wanted was waitlist only. So we booked New Zealand for Oct 31st, and are glad we switched. After the ABD we will take an 8 day Princess cruise out of SYD, so we will still see Australia. But we are really excited about the NZ itin! Just booked a few days ago, but we’ve got the tour, cruise, all the air, pre cruise hotel and insurance all done!
We are coming in a couple of days early - will wander and play around the city without a firm activity booking that first day, second pre-day we will spend the day in Hobbitown with the breakfast and luncheon feast. On the first day of the ABD we plan to take the Ferry to Devenport and bike and play on the Chestham beach. Only thing for sure right now is Hobbitown. We have a post day stay as well to visit Milford Sound. You have quite the trip planned with the cruise following the New Zealand trek!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter