New Zealand October-November 2022 Trip report

Dinner was served family style, with the servers pointing out specific dishes to avoid for those with any food sensitivities. This was the way for most of our group dinners on the tour, either family style or buffet; I think there were only one or two times where we were asked to choose a specific order for a lunch or dinner ahead of time. The family style worked out very nice, and we always had more than enough food.
Thanks for the detailed reporting!

For the group dinners, did ABD put all 15 people onto one table or did individual families each have their own table?

Thanks for the detailed reporting!

For the group dinners, did ABD put all 15 people onto one table or did individual families each have their own table?
The group meals were mostly anywhere from two to three tables, except in a couple of places where we all fit at one long or square table. People could sit wherever they wanted. We had a small group, only 15 plus two guides & the bus driver. Larger groups probably won’t fit at one table anywhere we went. We were never forced to separate by family or travel pod, like happened frequently with last year’s tours.

ABD Day 2 – Aucklandish - a busy day

The group met early after a quick breakfast and we walked down to the local fish market. Originally this was to be with local chefs who would assist us on our chosen seafood followed by a cooking school at the market. That cooking school is closed and the public seafood market is now less a wholesale market and more a take-away version that sells some seafood had a couple of booths open but not much to see or do and we did not meet with any chefs or select any seafood. We then boarded a bus over to a cooking school.

Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-3.jpeg

We watched a good show of how to make a New Zealand meal. We were divided into six teams, each making four of the same four dishes. We rotated stations as we progressed. We made an appetizer, the name of which I cannot recall, it was a dark purple potato with topping, then lamb patties, mussel fritters and a pavlova dessert. There was also a station set up for those that did not eat lamb, which offered vegetables. The cooking school people provided a nice how-to demonstration, and we made what they did— but there was way too much food! Lots of hot oil cooking with massive portions.

Unknown-4.jpeg Unknown-5.jpeg

Unknown-6.jpeg Unknown-7.jpeg

And of course our guide Kira photobombing the cooking - as she continues to spread joy everywhere.

This was lunch and most of us ate too much and needed a nap. Instead, we heard the call of AVAST YE HARTIES and walked back over the pedestrian bridge by the hotel to land at the America’s Cup sailing vessel… this was not the one actually used in the race, but one of the training boats. Nearly everyone on board pitched in to raise, lower and trim the sails, and move the boom (all part of grinding), and coming back several people got to steer the boat! It’s a fast ride, leaning in at a 45 degree angle and the sides pitch up and way down as it corners. It was a beautiful day, clear sky and very blue blue water. We sailed well out of the Auckland harbor within sight of Waiheke Island, and then back through the harbor to go under the harbor bridge with one of our ABD crew at the helm before returning to dock at the viaduct. Having the pedestrian drawbridge open for us was kinda cool too. No one in the group opted out of the sailing and it was great fun.

Unknown-8.jpeg Unknown-9.jpeg Unknown-10.jpeg Unknown-11.jpeg

The sailing crew was very pleasant and answered any question asked. The NZ team won the last America’s cup, and there was discussion about the race — the next one was expected to be held in New Zealand as they won, but instead it will be held where the NZ sponsor (Emirates) wants it – in Barcelona. Reportedly, they made a better offer to host the race, and it offers better timing for television rights. Just outside our hotel was a large building dedicated to the America’s Cup and just before we left we watched the cranes dismantle the signs off the building, as it was going to be used now for other purposes.

Day 2 sign 2.jpg

Last edited:
ABD day 2 continued

When we returned to shore, we had a short break to change and then all met up to go to the Auckland zoo for more adventure and dinner. They are celebrating 100 years of taking care of some of the most endangered animals on earth, and are known locally as Te Whare Kararehe o Tamaki Makaurau. They host 135 species and over 1400 animals. We arrived just after the zoo closed and were greeted by several of the head zookeepers. Our focus was on the animals of New Zealand. We’ll save the details for when you tour, but it is hard not to get caught up in the passion, love and excitement these folks exude over the zoo. This was also very much a hands-on opportunity, to get up close with rare parrots, feed massive eels, and hear of the devastation wrought by humans and invasive species on the native wildlife. The zoo has been designed to make you feel like you are in the animal’s habitat as you move through it.

Unknown-2.jpeg nz1031222 2022-10-31-0007.jpeg

nz1031222 2022-10-31-0006.jpeg nz1031222 2022-10-31-0051.jpeg nz1031222 2022-10-31-0016.jpeg

As we came around a bend walking, we encountered our first Māori tribal dancers and a welcoming ceremony. It was fun and entertaining and the group engaged with the dancers to clap along. They gave us a thorough introduction to the ways of the Māori and how they are one with the earth. New Zealand has a deep shared respect of multi-cultures and it is remarkable how diverse and intertwined the people of New Zealand really are.

Unknown-5.jpeg Unknown-3.jpeg Unknown-4.jpeg

The trip description noted that we would have dinner at Te Puna surrounded by the Orangutan Habitat where orangutans and gibbons would explore all around you. That was not us. We had a nice dinner on a patio at the old elephant house. This was probably due to our small size; the food was a generous buffet and was again excellent.

nz1031222 2022-10-31-0071.jpeg nz1031222 2022-10-31-0038.jpeg

As we were leaving the zoo, the keepers stopped us all to thank us profusely for coming and for Disney’s financial support of their mission. We heard this over and over throughout the trip. People were remarkably sincere about saying thank you. A busy day!

nz1031222 2022-10-31-0103.jpeg

The 2021 itinerary said Chef Paulie Hooton, head of the Auckland Fish Market Seafood School, would guide the tour of the market and head the cooking class. The 2022 itinerary only describes this activity as a fish market tour and then a cooking demo and class. Now we know why. I think this is the only significant difference between the 2021 itineraries (which never occurred) and the 2022 version.

The 2021 itinerary said Chef Paulie Hooton, head of the Auckland Fish Market Seafood School, would guide the tour of the market and head the cooking class. The 2022 itinerary only describes this activity as a fish market tour and then a cooking demo and class. Now we know why. I think this is the only significant difference between the 2021 itineraries (which never occurred) and the 2022 version.
Agreed, and it’s always possible the original plans will come back at some point as NZ continues its post-Covid tourism recovery. The replacement cooking school was a lot of fun and the hosts were great, so who knows, Had we not seen the original itinerary, we’d have never known the difference in how the morning progressed.

Great stuff so far, very helpful! I may have missed it, but how long before the trip start did you apply for the NZeTA?

Great stuff so far, very helpful! I may have missed it, but how long before the trip start did you apply for the NZeTA?
I applied approx three months before departure. While they say to allow time fo review, mine came back within half an hour. That was a weekday in the middle of their winter.

NZ Day 3 – Zip Me To Waiheke

It’s Day 3, and by this time with our small group we all know each other so the AbD name tags have disappeared. After breakfast, we have a short walk to the ferry terminal for our ride to Waiheke Island. The AbD guides wanted us in line early so we could get earlier pick of seats. This is a commuter ferry, used by both tourists and locals going over to the island for work. It is a 45-minute ride to Waiheke. The ferry has snacks, drinks, and bathrooms.

Our ferry crossing -

Day 3 ferry 2.JPG

Day 3 ferry.JPG

First stop – Eco-Zip, for ziplining, about 20 minutes from the ferry terminal through the small town of Oneroa we would visit on the way back. However, we had a short pause for a duck family to cross the road.

Day 3 ducks.jpg

Eco-Zip has three Zip lines over a forest area in the hills of the island. We were given a safety briefing, got our equipment – harness and hard hat – and were ready get started. There are lockers to put your stuff, anything you can’t or don’t want to take with you. This is one of those times where sturdy soled shoes are a good idea. The first zip line is close to the headquarters, and is a short one without much drop, essentially a training zip. From each zipline was a relaxed pace interpretive walk through the bush to the next. Here our Eco-Zip guides would talk about their efforts to preserve and protect the lands here and provide some up close and personal with some of the birds and plants. These are considered ancient forests. The zip lining got progressively longer and more intense, but none of it was hard. This zip had a great variety of things to, well, zip by. As before, at the end of the last zip the staff thanked the group for coming and for Disney’s support of their conservation efforts.

Day 3 DG Zip 1.jpg

Day 3 DG ZIp 2.jpg

Day 3 DG Zip 3.jpg

Continued in next post -

Day 3 - Waiheke - continued -

@Mathmagicland did not participate in the zip lining, due to a fear of high places without barriers or standing on something sturdy. No glass floors or cliffs without railings for me! I volunteered to go to the staff parking lot below the jump off point, and take pictures of our group as they each set out on their first zip line ride. Eco Zip and AbD will take pics from the tower, of people as they are hooked up and ready to set off, so this was a different vantage point.

After playing paparazzi, AbD guide Kira had arranged for me to do the bush walk trail on my own to meet the groups on their trek back from the last zip line. To do this, I had to sign a waiver and wear a hard hat. If you don’t want to do this, there are some grassy areas to walk around a bit, views of Auckland across the bay, and some benches to sit on to wait. It would be about two hours for the zip lining tour itself.

Bay views - it was cloudy over Auckland, but if you look closely you can see the Sky Tower -

Day 3 auckland 1.jpg

Day 3 auckland 2.jpg

And these are along the forest walk, some folks are creative with the tree stumps!

Day 3 forest 1.jpg

Day 3 forest 2.jpg

Day 3 forest 3.jpg

Re that bush walk hike – per my Apple watch, it is over a mile long each way, on uneven narrow terrain with lots of tree roots, rocks & plants to get around. The trail is clearly marked, pretty steep in places, with a lot of switchbacks & a beautiful, shaded walk. It is downhill to meet the group, which means it is all uphill on the way back from ziplining. Several of the zip liners commented it was a bit of a tough bush walk hike back, because they had to wear their harness gear plus the hardhats. They were guided back in small groups by one of the Eco Zip staff members, and made a couple of stops along the way. @Mathmagicland joined up with the first group returning back almost at the end of the trail.

After everyone got back to the Eco Zip headquarters, unloaded their gear, and retrieved items from the lockers, it was time to head to the winery for wine tastings, a tour, and lunch. Next stop, Stonyridge Winery, about 10 minutes from the Eco Zip.

Day 3 - Waiheke - continued -

At the winery, we are given the opportunity to taste three different wines as we toured the vineyard area. The non-wine drinkers were offered orange juice. @Mathmagicland asked the guides how this stop would be handled with the tours that include kids; she was told there would be some sort of alternate activity for the kids, ie maybe a soda tasting or something else fun.

While in the vineyard we watched a party of people dressed to the nines arrive for lunch by private helicopter, landing close to us. Reportedly, this is commonplace. After the tasting & tour, we were seated for lunch which came out slowly in different courses and served family style. Many of us thought we were through eating after the first course, only to discover this was just the beginning. Lunch included wine.
'
This was the appetizer! Each table had a couple of these to share.

Day 3 appetizer.jpg

We had time to browse their limited gift shop and pick up wine or wine associated items if desired. Their well-known wine was available, as were several other wines that were not three or more digits per bottle. They would only ship by the case, but we were told this may change as they continued opening up. Several folks purchased wine here.

We then headed back towards the ferry, to the town of Oneroa. We had almost an hour to walk around on our own; there are several cute shops, a gelato place, and a path for five-minute walk to a beach area. Right where the bus dropped us, what do we see but a homeowner who must be a LOTR/Hobbit fan, as this is the entrance gate to his property –

Note the koru design on either side of the gate -

Day 3 door 1.jpg

Day 3 door 2.jpg

View of the beach -

Day 3 Beach.jpg

At the gelato shop, which was yummy and popular with the locals, there was a couple of ducks who were visiting and trying to decide which flavors they might want! It was nice to see the people all left them alone, no one ran up to try to pet them or shoo them away.

We met the bus to get back to the ferry, in time to return to Auckland around 05:30pm. This was a free evening for everyone for dinner and any shopping on their own. It’s our last night in Auckland, tomorrow we had to Rotorura!

The itinerary says the lunch this day is at Mudbrick Restaurant and Winery, which from their website looks spectacular. But your report says you went to Stonyridge Winery. Was this another change in the trip?

The itinerary says the lunch this day is at Mudbrick Restaurant and Winery, which from their website looks spectacular. But your report says you went to Stonyridge Winery. Was this another change in the trip?
I don’t think so. When I look at the itineraries on the AbD site, the adults-only departures to go Stonyridge. The standard departures to to Mudbrick. It is the same for both 2022 and 2023 departures.

Nice! The ziplining looks very cool. I wasn't sure I could do it (first ziplined on Maui) but once I realized I didn't feel like I was falling, I was OK! (But they practically had to push me off the first time!) It looks like a beautiful area!

Sayhello

Stoneyridge was the location in our published 2022 season itinerary for adults only. I see in the 2023 standard itinerary this is Mudbrick. The itineraries are different between adult and standard. Stonyridge is famous for its wines, and is noted to "produce one of New Zealand's most awarded red wines - the rare and highly sought Larose" according to the ABD itinerary. And yes, it was really good. From what I am reading, Mudbrick is known for its beautiful scenery and luxury romantic accommodations for couples.

I applied approx three months before departure. While they say to allow time fo review, mine came back within half an hour. That was a weekday in the middle of their winter.
Thanks-- and any restaurant recommendations for on our own dinners in Auckland?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter