Newbie trying to figure it all out - VGC??

For us it’s 10 hrs non stop to MCO, but that flight no longer exists. The best we can hope for now is a 13-14 hr itinerary, with at least one stop đŸ˜­

Oof! That's a long time. I haven't even looked to see how bad it would be for us to fly out to Hawaii. Though I would LOVE to go to Aulani some day because it looks amazing.

Oooh i thought you were on the west coast or at least somewhere in the midwest, ClaraOswald! I assumed that was why you were buying VGC. From where I live, it's about a 2.5 hr flight to LAX or SNA ... Orlando is usually an 8-10 hr flight with a stop, or if we get really lucky there are nonstop flights every once in a while, then it's about 6 hours. Also 6 hours to Aulani. You should go, it's so beautiful. We met a family there who had come from North Carolina, they told us it took them 24 hours to get to Aulani...yikes!

I'm in Omaha, Nebraska. WDW and Disneyland are almost the same distance, mile-wise, from me. My husband is from California and I lived out there briefly. We used to go to the park several times a week so it's just "home" to us. We do love WDW as well but have only gone 3 times as adults (I went a few times as a kid.)

I just prefer Disneyland for the ease/size of the parks. It's nice to not have to take a bus to park hop or take breaks at the hotel. I do worry about how that will go with our son when we finally take him. We might think it's a bigger pain than it's worth. But we absolutely LOVE Epcot and miss it a lot.

I'm in Omaha, Nebraska. WDW and Disneyland are almost the same distance, mile-wise, from me. My husband is from California and I lived out there briefly. We used to go to the park several times a week so it's just "home" to us. We do love WDW as well but have only gone 3 times as adults (I went a few times as a kid.)

I just prefer Disneyland for the ease/size of the parks. It's nice to not have to take a bus to park hop or take breaks at the hotel. I do worry about how that will go with our son when we finally take him. We might think it's a bigger pain than it's worth. But we absolutely LOVE Epcot and miss it a lot.
I was catching up on this thread, and since you live in Omaha I thought I'd chime in.

We live in Omaha as well, and own both at WDW & VGC. We share the flight frustrations... but, Southwest is offering OMA-MCO direct more often. However, we will often drive to Kansas City and take a nonstop flight from there. It is often cheaper to fly to/from there as well. We would rather drive the 2.5-3 hours and take one flight, than be stuck with a layover. Price it out next time!

I was catching up on this thread, and since you live in Omaha I thought I'd chime in.

We live in Omaha as well, and own both at WDW & VGC. We share the flight frustrations... but, Southwest is offering OMA-MCO direct more often. However, we will often drive to Kansas City and take a nonstop flight from there. It is often cheaper to fly to/from there as well. We would rather drive the 2.5-3 hours and take one flight, than be stuck with a layover. Price it out next time!

You do that for trips to Orlando or trips to Anaheim? If Anaheim, which airport? John Wayne is our favorite.

And I love that there's another Omaha/VGC person here!

You're not alone! Thought she also west a fellow left coast family

If you and others don't mind sharing, which part out west are you from? My husband grew up in Southern California, mostly Orange county. And when I lived out there, we were in the city of Orange.

You do that for trips to Orlando or trips to Anaheim? If Anaheim, which airport? John Wayne is our favorite.

And I love that there's another Omaha/VGC person here!
Usually Orlando. With annual passes that is often 3-4 times per year. California is once every 2 years or so for us.

But for Anaheim, Southwest flies nonstop from MCI (Kansas City) to LGB or LAX. We prefer SNA as well, but no nonstops from OMA/MCI to get in there.

Usually Orlando. With annual passes that is often 3-4 times per year. California is once every 2 years or so for us.

But for Anaheim, Southwest flies nonstop from MCI (Kansas City) to LGB or LAX. We prefer SNA as well, but no nonstops from OMA/MCI to get in there.

How's LGB? I've never been. Never been to LAX either but the drive from there to Anaheim is a pain.

FYI, my new membership just loaded (although no points are showing yet).

I think you are tracking at about a week behind, so that is why I bring it up.

How's LGB? I've never been. Never been to LAX either but the drive from there to Anaheim is a pain.
Due to flight schedules and other plans (i.e. renting a car and visiting San Diego, then flying home from there), we haven't actually flown to LGB. I gather it's closer and easier than LAX.

We've gotten lucky with the layovers flying in/out of SNA a couple times. But I'm pretty much over layovers moving forward.

This June we are driving out, going to some Utah national parks and the Grand Canyon along the way. So no Cali flights for us til 2025 (probably).

FYI, my new membership just loaded (although no points are showing yet).

I think you are tracking at about a week behind, so that is why I bring it up.

Nice! I checked this morning and some new deeds have finally been recorded (not ours though) for April 11th. Hopefully we aren't too far behind.

Due to flight schedules and other plans (i.e. renting a car and visiting San Diego, then flying home from there), we haven't actually flown to LGB. I gather it's closer and easier than LAX.

We've gotten lucky with the layovers flying in/out of SNA a couple times. But I'm pretty much over layovers moving forward.

This June we are driving out, going to some Utah national parks and the Grand Canyon along the way. So no Cali flights for us til 2025 (probably).

We aren't going out to CA until June 2024 and planning to drive as well. We've done it a few times and (mostly) enjoyed it.

While SNA and LGB are 100x more convenient than LAX, we still always end up flying to LAX because of the sheer amount of flight options and lower ticket cost. Rental car and Turo options are cheaper too. At least that’s the way it is for us coming from Hawaii.

While SNA and LGB are 100x more convenient than LAX, we still always end up flying to LAX because of the sheer amount of flight options and lower ticket cost. Rental car and Turo options are cheaper too. At least that’s the way it is for us coming from Hawaii.

Last time I compared prices/flights from here to all of the airports in the Anaheim area. SNA had the best times and prices. The direct to LAX that was available on our dates got in too late for us so that was the big deciding factor. We likely won't be flying out there until our December 2025 trip so maybe we'll luck out and the direct will be decent.

Are weekends the best for the drive to and from LAX to avoid commuter traffic or do weekend travelers make it worse than a week day?

Last time I compared prices/flights from here to all of the airports in the Anaheim area. SNA had the best times and prices. The direct to LAX that was available on our dates got in too late for us so that was the big deciding factor. We likely won't be flying out there until our December 2025 trip so maybe we'll luck out and the direct will be decent.

Are weekends the best for the drive to and from LAX to avoid commuter traffic or do weekend travelers make it worse than a week day?
LAX is always a mess but yes, commuter traffic is the worst during weekdays. Traffic is, I would say, 25% better on weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter