News Round Up 2017

I'd be very fine with either. Though I do lean a bit more toward Ratatouille because it's more gender neutral.
I'm a guy and I'd prefer Beauty and the Beast. That's mainly because it's the better ride of the two.

Because boys should only like things with boys as the main character, but girls shouldn't care what gender the main character is, right? o_O:-)
Anyways, Beauty and the Beast is undeniably a better movie than Ratatouille, so I would 100% prefer an attraction based on it.
Although I would counter with the fact that Beauty and the Beast has a large presence in fantasyland in MK. They also have the stage show in DHS. Ratatouille doesn't have anything in WDW.

Although I would counter with the fact that Beauty and the Beast has a large presence in fantasyland in MK. They also have the stage show in DHS. Ratatouille doesn't have anything in WDW.

Yeah that's also my feeling about it too. If they change the stage show in DHS to something else, then yeah go for it if the ride is superior. Really it's just a matter of diversifying what's out there.

There is a possibility this ride comes to WDW in Epcot.... this or Ratatouille.

This would be amazing!!! Personally B&tB is my favorite movie so I would love a ride with it! However, Ratatouille would fit more, and it would be nice to have a new ride. I think either works for boys and girls...I'm a teacher and I always show B&tB for a reward movie and my boys love it...especially lefou, cogsworth, and lumiere :)

It's kind of a bummer that there's tons of Princess related things is all. It's pretty heavy handed with the girliness. I didn't even consider the gender of the animal, just that it was something a little different is all. Sorry I offended you, wasn't my intent.

Well you do have Star Wars Land coming which, if one were to classify things as "boy" or "girl" would be more of a "boy thing". I would think Toy Story Land and Pandora are pretty gender neutral - and certainly not "princess"

The BatB ride sounds like it has the potential to be amazing but does seem like Ratatouille would fit EPCOT/World Showcase better being connected to food and be weird/not ideal for the BatB ride to be in one park while the BatB castle was in another park

Anyways, Beauty and the Beast is undeniably a better movie than Ratatouille

I will deny it. BatB is a wonderful movie and the music is amazing - but Ratatouille has brilliant commentary on the nature of criticism that is probably one of the most clever things I've ever seen - Ego's speech at the end is one of my favorite monologues in all of film. The ONE shot of Ego tasting Remy's food is probably one of the most affecting and brilliant single shots of cinema IMO. Ratatouille also has several different plotlines the interweave throughout the film, and what the movie seems like it's going to be entirely about (Linguini as heir to Gusteau) wraps up 2/3rds of the way through the movie and becomes an entirely different movie, a actual surprise when first watched. There's not one surprise in B&tB - you can guess the entire story from the first scene. There's 4-5 genuinely interesting characters each with their own story that intertwines in clever ways whereas B&tB has arguably one character (Belle) of any depth or dimension while all other characters serve only to further her story. Our DD got very into Ratatouille back when she was 7 or 8 and we watched it probably 200 times, and I never, ever tired of it, and in fact got better with repeated viewing which is a rarity for film.

Again, I am not denying B&tB as a great piece of entertainment - I just find Ratatouille to be a better film. When discussing with friends what movie I would pick as the best animated film ever made, Ratatouille is in the conversation for me, and B&tB is not. And not saying that your opinion of B&tB is wrong for you and many others, or even that I think I am in the majority as a Ratatouille fan, just saying that to say no-one could think Ratatouille is the better movie is incorrect. So - I personally would prefer to see a Ratatouille ride than a B&tB ride - and especially if it were to be placed in Epcot.

(As a footnote, there's a valid argument that Disney's B&tB movie isn't even the best B&tB movie, but the 1946 Cocteau version is not for everyone and I still prefer the Disney remake thanks to the Ashman/Menken score.)

Well you do have Star Wars Land coming which, if one were to classify things as "boy" or "girl" would be more of a "boy thing". I would think Toy Story Land and Pandora are pretty gender neutral - and certainly not "princess"

The BatB ride sounds like it has the potential to be amazing but does seem like Ratatouille would fit EPCOT/World Showcase better being connected to food and be weird/not ideal for the BatB ride to be in one park while the BatB castle was in another park

I would consider Toy Story to be very male-slanted too. Growing up with Toy Story all of my guy friends (excluding me, I never got into it) LOVED it, but my girl friends (of which I've always had more) hated it. There are probably about as many female characters in Toy Story as Star Wars, and I feel like they're less prevalent. I'm an expert on neither though, so this is purely just perception. I do think Avatar/Pandora is more gender neutral, especially considering the only person I know who's reaction to the movie was "I loved the story" is a woman, which is promising since everyone else I know pretty much said "the graphics are cool but I never need to watch it again."

I think it would be fine to introduce BatB to Epcot, since technically Belle is already there, and all sorts of different Disney IPs have presence in multiple parks. Right now BatB has installations in both MK and HS, as does Little Mermaid and many more. To echo something I said in a different thread though, I'd be happier if Disney updated the BatB Live in HS (perhaps to the new movie's theming, it'd be more on brand for HS & movie making than classic disney fairytales), than if they opened a new attraction elsewhere. Ratatouille might be nice, and I am surprised it has next to no presence in the parks, but for me personally I don't think it needs a whole attraction.

I would consider Toy Story to be very male-slanted too. Growing up with Toy Story all of my guy friends (excluding me, I never got into it) LOVED it, but my girl friends (of which I've always had more) hated it. There are probably about as many female characters in Toy Story as Star Wars, and I feel like they're less prevalent. I'm an expert on neither though, so this is purely just perception. I do think Avatar/Pandora is more gender neutral, especially considering the only person I know who's reaction to the movie was "I loved the story" is a woman, which is promising since everyone else I know pretty much said "the graphics are cool but I never need to watch it again."

I think it would be fine to introduce BatB to Epcot, since technically Belle is already there, and all sorts of different Disney IPs have presence in multiple parks. Right now BatB has installations in both MK and HS, as does Little Mermaid and many more. To echo something I said in a different thread though, I'd be happier if Disney updated the BatB Live in HS (perhaps to the new movie's theming, it'd be more on brand for HS & movie making than classic disney fairytales), than if they opened a new attraction elsewhere. Ratatouille might be nice, and I am surprised it has next to no presence in the parks, but for me personally I don't think it needs a whole attraction.

My initial thought was Toy Story was, if anything, "boy" as well, but moved it ti "neutral" to be conservative and not argue the point (definitely think the first movie was more "boy" with Buzz and Woody but with adding Jessie and stuff the universe of "Toy Story" I see as pretty gender neutral)

And I agree they could add BatB there - just thinking of the two I can't really think of anywhere else to put Ratatouille whereas you already have BatB elsewhere so from a "fit the location" standpoint I would put Ratatouille higher, is all (that's why I said "not ideal" - but yes, definitely could have it there)

My initial thought was Toy Story was, if anything, "boy" as well, but moved it ti "neutral" to be conservative and not argue the point (definitely think the first movie was more "boy" with Buzz and Woody but with adding Jessie and stuff the universe of "Toy Story" I see as pretty gender neutral)

And I agree they could add BatB there - just thinking of the two I can't really think of anywhere else to put Ratatouille whereas you already have BatB elsewhere so from a "fit the location" standpoint I would put Ratatouille higher, is all (that's why I said "not ideal" - but yes, definitely could have it there)

I think if anything Star Wars is trending toward neutral with the new sequels. Rey's the main focus and with Jyn Erso being the main in Rogue One I think that's a great step in the right direction. I know I was not in the norm for being a little girl who loved star wars but now it's not that uncommon. Some of the girls' apparel is really nice, I wish that was more prevalent back then. Also, I use gender neutral not to be "for boys" or "for girls" but as a signifier for identity. It's very hard for some boys and some girls to identify with the "Disney Princess" thing, for many reasons. It's easier to identify with Vanellope and Ralph or Buzz and Jessie regardless of gender.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter