News Round Up 2017

I have a phobia of most people..mainly to the near standard ill Formed opinions - but there's a difference between my phobia and your wife's

Hers is legitimate...mine I have to deal with.

Look: I'm not anti pet...but to haphazardly "test" in hotels without letting the pet friendly classification of the hotel well known is wreckless and indicative of their "JV" management on decisions.

If I book a Marriott, Hyatt, holiday, etc...the info that it is pet acceptable is readily available at booking. I can seek it AND avoid it.

This isn't really much of an opinion debate. Everybody has an opinion...and other things.

This is a business analysis and it fails the grade...maybe C at best.

I am sure they will make it known that these hotels are dog friendly - and will warn people when they go to book it .... they can't risk someone who is extremely allergic only finding out after they go to check in

I'm of the opinion that pets have absolutely no place in a resort hotel. Integrating anything that has a reasonable likelihood of negatively impacting other resort guests simply isn't worth whatever benefits could be gained. Disney seems to have consistently high room reservation rates, so why the need for this now even if Loew's or other hotels do this?

And at a time in which they're trying to do more with less personnel, this makes absolutely no sense as this will only add work for Mousekeeping as well as groundskeepers.

They banned smoking as it negatively impacted people around them, but they're going to allow pets?? This is not a good idea.

Last edited:
and I think how they limit within the resorts will impact things as well. I mean, I am sure for some people (perhaps like your wife) it doesn't matter but for others I think there is a difference if they are really confined to one area so that if you aren't there you wont' notice them or are they going to be spread around and allowed in the lobby, etc.?

I love ya...you know...

But how on earth can you dig that one up out of the bucket and trust it?

Has there been any legitimate plan for this...and legalese or operational changes I missed?

If I did...I'll recompute.

If I go on wdw.com right now does it say "pet friendly" on the booking screen with a disclaimer for the poly?

Help me out...

I'm of the opinion that pets have absolutely no place in a resort hotel. Integrating anything that has a reasonable likelihood of negatively impacting other resort guests simply isn't worth whatever benefits could be gained. Disney seems to have consistently high room reservations rights, so why the need for this now even if Loew's or other hotels do this?

And at a time in which they're trying to do more with less personnel, this makes absolutely no sense as this will only add work for Mousekeeping as well as groundskeepers.

They banned smoking as it negatively impacted people around them, but they're going to allow pets?? This is not a good idea.

I have to agree and not because I want to...

I don't equate pets with smoking...but I thought of making the very same analogy earlier...

In the room, there is the same potential impact.

It also scares me of how clean many people seem to think their room is!!

Has no one worked in a hotel before? Realities are realities.

I am sure they will make it known that these hotels are dog friendly - and will warn people when they go to book it .... they can't risk someone who is extremely allergic only finding out after they go to check in

Sure how?!?!?

If they have contacted every single person booked into these hotels for the entirety of the test period and advised them and offered switch...have installed signage and disposal facilities on designated areas of the grounds...and have trained the rec people to not allow/Handle any pets near the pools and facilities...

Then i agree and stand corrected.

I'm of the opinion that pets have absolutely no place in a resort hotel. Integrating anything that has a reasonable likelihood of negatively impacting other resort guests simply isn't worth whatever benefits could be gained. Disney seems to have consistently high room reservations rights, so why the need for this now even if Loew's or other hotels do this?

well, the benefit is another $50-$75 per night - which adds up so they get that.

I will be interested in how it is rolled out and how the actual experience is. As others have mentioned, they already allow dogs at the Loews hotels at Universal and that seems to work fine so there is at least some potential that there won't be that negative experience for others - but we shall see

This is hilarious to me because we do almost all our travel in a motorhome and bring our dog with us. The one exception is when we go to Fort Wilderness. We are gone all day, sometimes from 7 a.m. until midnight in the parks. I have no desire to keep my dog locked up in the motorhome that long even though she'd probably handle it. I get the people who bring pets to Fort Wilderness because they lounge around the campground and don't go to the parks everyday. I don't know why they pay so much for a campground to do this, but many people do.

But for people who are going to the parks, why on god's green earth would you bring your dog just to shut them up in your resort hotel room all day? Why worry about running back to the room to take your dog out mid-day? It's a 2 hour round trip at least from the parks. Where are they going to put dog runs at each of these hotels? You can't have a dog cooped up all day and then not have somewhere for them to run. Yes you can walk them, but that's not the same thing.

I know lots of hotels do this. I get that and I've stayed in pet friendly hotels for a night or two myself when traveling. But for an extended vacation where the entire point is to be in your room as little as possible? Day after day of leaving them locked in a small hotel room all day? I wouldn't do that to my dog, and since that's how I do Disney, it just makes no sense to me.

I will say I saw this move coming mainly because Fort Wilderness over the last few years went from having pet loops to having the whole campground be pet accessible. Mainly because the pet loops simply weren't big enough. People love their dogs. Treat them as family, and want them to go everywhere with them. Vacationing with your dog is just another component to that. All that being said, I still think Disney is exactly the wrong kind of vacation to bring a dog.

Finally, this is going to lead to so much more abuse of dogs in the parks. The ridiculous Emotional Support Animal rules already are rife with abuse, as you can get a script for it if you call some easily found doctors offices without even a visit. Then you buy your little collar or vest off the internet and off you go with your ill-trained dog into an environment like WDW which is exactly the wrong environment for an ill-trained dog. Allowing dogs in the resorts is just going to let more people feel like they should do this to keep their little Fifi with them at all times. Eventually it's going to go bad.

But lots of different people make the world go round I guess.

I love ya...you know...

But how on earth can you dig that one up out of the bucket and trust it?

Has there been any legitimate plan for this...and legalese or operational changes I missed?

If I did...I'll recompute.

If I go on wdw.com right now does it say "pet friendly" on the booking screen with a disclaimer for the poly?

Help me out...

I don't know - but I am interested to see how it is implements. If it is in one floor of one wing or whatever, that is a lot different than all over the resort and allowed in the lobby, etc.

also, the Poly is not one of the resorts that will allow the dogs, so why would it mention about being pet friendly?

(although I just checked Port Orleans Riverside and there is no mention of it and just for fun I tried to book a room and it never came up about adding a dog staying there, etc.)

I will say this is just another example of something I hate that Disney does is change policy with next to no warning as this starts 2 days from now.

I think everyone is overreacting to the dog thing. They have to thoroughly clean anyway and I am suuure there are stipulations in how you are taking care of your dog on property. Further more it is almost definitely going to be on restricted wings.

My problem with that logic is two-fold. First, if we had the same housekeeping there used to be, that would be one thing (still against, but could follow it). But they are cutting service, and at least on our last trip (AoA), it showed HORRIBLY. Second, they could be on restricted wings, but I wonder how often something would get mixed up. I can't tell you the number of times I have had a hotel put me in a smoking section on accident, only to tell me there are not other rooms available (stay out of town a TON due to work). I mean, think of it like this. This pilot is at probably the most popular value and most popular moderate resorts. Chances are a lot more people are going to end up stuck in pet rooms at those resorts.

One other thing to think about. There are issues with people at Disney throwing away their own trash in cans 10 feet from them. What are the chances people clean up after their dogs?

One other thing to think about. There are issues with people at Disney throwing away their own trash in cans 10 feet from them. What are the chances people clean up after their dogs?

It's pretty good at Fort Wilderness. Though campers with dogs are usually pretty good about cleaning up after their dogs in general. It's pretty rare you find any dog poop in the loops, though not unheard of. I've had more trouble with horse poop from the carriage rides even though they are wearing diapers. Sometimes it just doesn't stay in the bag!

Sure how?!?!?

If they have contacted every single person booked into these hotels for the entirety of the test period and advised them and offered switch...have installed signage and disposal facilities on designated areas of the grounds...and have trained the rec people to not allow/Handle any pets near the pools and facilities...

Then i agree and stand corrected.

Not sure how to test that - but I would hope they would

and I mentioned before I do hate how they are implementing this with next to no notice - that I think it a mistake and wrong

I think it's funny how they try to link it to the Star Wars hotel. Pretty clear the Star Wars hotel would back up to DHS - right? My guess is it will be a relatively small (maybe 100 rooms), completely enclosed facility.
There have been rumors of a new resort near the front of Epcot.

Here's a question about this...Will Disney get rid of the theme park busses to EPCOT and DHS from these resorts due to this system going to those parks? I'm hoping they won't, because I'm assuming some people will be scared to even go on this transportation system. Also, do you think this will raise the prices for Pop a lot? I only ask because it is my favorite value resort.

Here's a question about this...Will Disney get rid of the theme park busses to EPCOT and DHS from these resorts due to this system going to those parks? I'm hoping they won't, because I'm assuming some people will be scared to even go on this transportation system. Also, do you think this will raise the prices for Pop a lot? I only ask because it is my favorite value resort.

I would say severely limited...not eliminated

I think it's funny how they try to link it to the Star Wars hotel. Pretty clear the Star Wars hotel would back up to DHS - right? My guess is it will be a relatively small (maybe 100 rooms), completely enclosed facility.

I don't think they'd go that small...more 200-300 rooms maybe. You need enough giblets to make the gravy.

Haven't seen rumors about new Epcot hotels but that's interesting

I’ve heard yes and no so we will have to wait and see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter