News Round Up 2017

I figured this would spill over into the "Disney" news world at some point in time. Having been initially contained in the gaming community (and then pushed out by some major news channels), Disney is now being tied into EA's cluster of a problem with the Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot box back lash. It is unfortunate as this is definitely a EA problem as almost all of their games now have either paid DLCs or microtransactions. But the game is associated with one of the biggest IPs out there that Disney owns. I for one am happy to see EA getting this much push back and hope that it changes video game design going forward.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-...-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/?iid=sr-link1

I saw that...

I actually bought the battlefront ps4 bundle and it's hiding in the attic for my ten year old...so I actually own a deluxe copy of this train wreck...

But mismanagement by video game companies and Disney's aloofness are bad business decisions.

Enough! With the Nickel and dime games...it takes all appeal out of them anyway.

Interesting ... seems a lot like all those "quest" time mobile games - including Disney Magic Kingdoms (which I play) in which you can use real money to buy chests and you don't know what is in the chests - might be something good, might be something basically worthless ... so seems the exact same thing

They're saying it promotes gambling to children...and they have a case.

Just charge a price, for god's sake...enough with upsells. I'll pay double for the game if you leave me the hell alone.

I saw that...

I actually bought the battlefront ps4 bundle and it's hiding in the attic for my ten year old...so I actually own a deluxe copy of this train wreck...

But mismanagement by video game companies and Disney's aloofness are bad business decisions.

Enough! With the Nickel and dime games...it takes all appeal out of them anyway.

It's actually really turned me off to gaming in general ... and I see the retail price of Battlefront II is $80?!?!?!? (obviously been a while since I have bought a game) - but to spend that on a game and then have to spend more seems crazy and is a turn off. Not a unique issue to Disney but they are obviously part of the issue as well

They're saying it promotes gambling to children...and they have a case.

Just charge a price, for god's sake...enough with upsells. I'll pay double for the game if you leave me the hell alone.

I don't disagree - my point was the mobile games are the same thing: promoting gambling to any and all ages ... and the mobile Disney game is rated for ages 4 and up (at least Battlefront is rated for teens)

It's a Disney problem. They offered the whole enchilada to whoever would stump up the most money. If they'd wanted quality they'd have either licensed widely, stipulated executive control, or handed the IP rights over to whoever promised to do the most creative things. Disney knew what they were getting with EA, and they knew what they were doing when they shut their own in-house teams.

[aside] just last night as it happens I had to explain to my daughter why she should avoid Star Wars Heroes on her iPad. The brutal reviews, and the $100 dollar crystals packs got the point through to her.

They're so lazy with games...which are an incredible marketing tool...it's borderline malfeasance to the stock holder.

They shut down infinity - a very successful product that had so much upside - because it didn't have the 90% profit ratio of their crappy magic band sales.

I don't get it except it goes back to 90 day/golden parachute syndrome...

It's actually really turned me off to gaming in general ... and I see the retail price of Battlefront II is $80?!?!?!? (obviously been a while since I have bought a game) - but to spend that on a game and then have to spend more seems crazy and is a turn off. Not a unique issue to Disney but they are obviously part of the issue as well

That's the "elite" version...the regular is only $60 :wave2:

NEWS (at least to me)

DME now picking guests up FOUR HOURS before their flight times through the end of the year at least

DME announcment Dec 2017.jpg

They shut down infinity - a very successful product that had so much upside - because it didn't have the 90% profit ratio of their crappy magic band sales.

Ahh Infinity. The rage burns cold and hard with that one. I got doubly screwed as I bought DI3 on the AppleTV for my daughter when it was first released. Less than four months later I had to make the choice between ditching the platform or grabbing an XBox, so feeling bad that my daughter's xmas present barely made it to March, I grabbed an XBox One. Then they cancelled the whole deal.

Yeah, the stockholm syndrome was all on me, but little about how Disney handled that was honest or well thought out.

And the game is still the most fun game I've played in many a year.

Well, I love AK and could spend days there taking in the details, so maybe I am the wrong person to opine on this ...

... but everything that has been stated is that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will be more than just detailed theming and "staring at the wall" - it will be interacting with roaming droids and CMs in full on Character personas that understand info about you and your performance and history and the whole land will be like a live role playing game ... and also talk of areas you can "use the Force" to make things happen (similar to using wands in Harry Potter Land).

Now, if none of this comes to be then I agree, only the hard core will care about "staring at the walls to take in the details", but the potential is there for it to be more than that

So you were ok with losing what is realistically our only shot at a Star Wars mini themepark with rides designed under little restrictions because they hinted at meet and greets?

...but wouldn't commit to the IP we love and made something up instead?

Boy...that's a lot of benefit of the doubt to give.

Mine train really isn't that great...I swear...

Ahh Infinity. The rage burns cold and hard with that one. I got doubly screwed as I bought DI3 on the AppleTV for my daughter when it was first released. Less than four months later I had to make the choice between ditching the platform or grabbing an XBox, so feeling bad that my daughter's xmas present barely made it to March, I grabbed an XBox One. Then they cancelled the whole deal.

Yeah, the stockholm syndrome was all on me, but little about how Disney handled that was honest or well thought out.

And the game is still the most fun game I've played in many a year.

My son sill talks about getting new figures and looks disappointed when he does it...the last variation is barely 2 years old.

It was a wet fish to the face of little budding Disney fans who just wanted to play. They made it difficult to buy their product...it's like "the introduction to the opposites"

So you were ok with losing what is realistically our only shot at a Star Wars mini themepark with rides designed under little restrictions because they hinted at meet and greets?

...but wouldn't commit to the IP we love and made something up instead?

Boy...that's a lot of benefit of the doubt to give.

Mine train really isn't that great...I swear...

I didn't mention that I think it is the best way to go (I would prefer more rides) and also previously explicitly said if they don't expand I will be really disappointed

My only point was this should should be more that "very detailed walls to stare at" .... there is a large gap between "staring at walls" and "tons of rides" - and I think it will land in the middle. So not ideal, but not how you described it either

well since the TCO seems like it's gonna be in the region of $400 or so, why quibble over the $20?

We're not buying any add ons...if you get a deadend...so be it I'll buy another game instead.

I'd rather have an updated version of X-Wing, rebellion, or Rebel Assualt anyway...that's just me.

Give me a case of milk stout, a locked door and Rogue Squadron and I'm good for days...or hours...cause the beer would prolly run out.

I saw that...

The thing is the game is actually very good. A huge step up from SWBF 2015. It looks and sounds amazing, game play is better and more in-depth, it covers all eras.

The loot crate set up that they came up with is definitely one of the worst but this game has literally become the lighting rod for the entire gaming community to unleash its full wrath on microtransactions. EA (and other developers) have been steadily increasing this model every year it seems. And when that EA developer posted that comment that is now the most downvoted post on reddit history the dam, which was already leaking, just broke.

Last edited:
I didn't mention that I think it is the best way to go (I would prefer more rides) and also previously explicitly said if they don't expand I will be really disappointed

My only point was this should should be more that "very detailed walls to stare at" .... there is a large gap between "staring at walls" and "tons of rides" - and I think it will land in the middle. So not ideal, but not how you described it either

I think the assumption they're expanding is a fools errand.

When have they ever done a quick expansion? That's Comcast's m.o.

Disney gets bored and tries to pull you in another direction to sell more product...that's them.

Don't expect anything more before I'm using a walker.

I figured this would spill over into the "Disney" news world at some point in time. Having been initially contained in the gaming community (and then pushed out by some major news channels), Disney is now being tied into EA's cluster of a problem with the Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot box back lash. It is unfortunate as this is definitely a EA problem as almost all of their games now have either paid DLCs or microtransactions. But the game is associated with one of the biggest IPs out there that Disney owns. I for one am happy to see EA getting this much push back and hope that it changes video game design going forward.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-...-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/?iid=sr-link1

Wow, do some work for half an hour and you're way behind the discussion.

I agree with all the others who say this seems to be the way of the future for video games. Why be satisfied with the initial sell point when you can continue to make money throughout the game's shelf life? I blame World of Warcraft, I'm pretty sure they started it with being able to use real money to purchase gold and other things in the games.

It does make sense for the video games companies. It's really brilliant, especially apps on your phone. Provide the game for free and then just constantly offer more lives, quicker building, character outfits what have you for additional prices.

I'm not sure if the gambling for children charge will stick.

But yeah, SW/Disney selling their license to EA really suck for all of us.

NEWS (at least to me)

DME now picking guests up FOUR HOURS before their flight times through the end of the year at least

View attachment 283632

Geeeez. Kinda makes you re-think those early morning flights, right?

It's absolutely not...enough that is.

The got too enamoured with patting themselves on the back for carsland and "new" fantasyland...but the reality is that those are under built as well. But people won't say no.

A recession will reveal the underbelly of the beast...that's when it will matter.

I’m sorry, Cars Land was underbuilt?? Exactly how do you arrive at that conclusion?

I think the "gambling" case is being made because they are charging for a "suprise" scenario without a set value...

That sounds a lot like blackjack...

It's not just video game...anyone have a kid who's into "surprise" toys?

I have nightmares about LOLs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter