News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the way you experienced it / view it is exactly how Disney wants families to view it ...

... But I think Disney underestimated the "originally trilogy only fans" that don't care about any of the new stuff ... They want to be "in the original trilogies" way more than wanting to be "in the broader Star Wars Universe"
I know everyone loves a quick conclusion these days, but I think this is all premature.

I think they expected swge to be a big blow out hit. What I don't think they bargained for his how much they've trained their guests to plan out their vacations far in advance.
Some didn't want to risk the opening day crowds. Others didn't want to risk planning a trip only to find out construction pushed things back.
They survived the grand opening. There will be a slow and steady rise at DHS, as well as California. There are many other factors at play here that have zero to do with the appeal of galaxy's edge.

That's true as well. My kids are more familiar with the original characters because they are so much more entrenched in pop culture than the newer characters are, but I guess that will change over time... and I guess other kids are more familiar with the new ones, just not my particular kids (they would recognize Darth Vader easily but I would likely have to explain who Kylo Ren is).

I dunno - my kids both bugged out at the sight of Kylo Ren (they are 12 and 10 currently). My husband teared up within 50 feet of entering SWGE. Just the sight of familiar ships PLUS the fact that it felt like walking onto a movie set and that set made sense in the greater SW universe put him exactly where Disney wanted him....in the throes of some "magic" that transported him into a place that would normally only live in his imagination.

I think this sums up the general reaction better than anything else:
So to my wife and I.. SWGE got it all. it was emotional to me to see the Falcon and help my son build a lightsaber and hear Yodas voice. It was extra emotional to me, because I knew who Hondo was from watching all the Star wars shows. To my son .. it was emotional to see the Falcon and see the new StormTroopers (and be interrogated by Kylo Ren himself) .. to my daughter (2yo) it was emotional to build her very own BB unit (in purple).

So even though it wasn't familiar like a Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley, it was still VERY immersive and emotional to my family.

There will ALWAYS be purists who are certain that "Their" version of fandom is the ONLY right one, and anything that doesn't meet it is garbage. It exists in SW, it exists in comic book circles, it exists in gaming and anime fandoms. I don't let those folks sully my own enjoyment of said fandoms, and I think in the LONG game, Disney will come out ahead with SWGE because the purists will eventually get tired of soapboxing about this "egregious error" and find something else to complain about :)

Some didn't want to risk the opening day crowds. Others didn't want to risk planning a trip only to find out construction pushed things back.
They survived the grand opening. There will be a slow and steady rise at DHS, as well as California. There are many other factors at play here that have zero to do with the appeal of galaxy's edge.

Don't forget Dorian. LOTS Of people canceled or postponed/cut short their trips due to the hurricane. We were among few who stuck it out the weekend before Dorian and found the parks to be DECIDEDLY empty on what would normally be a banner weekend (new opening plus Labor Day weekend).

I would be one. I don’t hate the prequels but I think the originals are certainly better.
I wonder how much better the prequels would be viewed if the initial hate for Jar Jar wouldn't have scared Lucas away from his original plan to have it revealed that Jar Jar and Palpatine were working together to create the Empire. I think Lucas ignoring the public reaction to the first of the prequals would have gave us much more satisfying trilogy of prequel movies as a whole.

Don't forget Dorian. LOTS Of people canceled or postponed/cut short their trips due to the hurricane. We were among few who stuck it out the weekend before Dorian and found the parks to be DECIDEDLY empty on what would normally be a banner weekend (new opening plus Labor Day weekend).

My son who is a CM was saying that it was packed this weekend in the parks. He was wishing for another hurricane so the attendance would drop. I think Dorian did a number on Labor day weekend this year.

My son who is a CM was saying that it was packed this weekend in the parks. He was wishing for another hurricane so the attendance would drop. I think Dorian did a number on Labor day weekend this year.

Absolutely. We were there at HS on the Saturday, there were literally TENS OF TENS of people at rope drop LOL. We didn't go into SWGE at RD but headed to ToT and RNR, then TSL. TSL was very nearly vacant. It was an amazing piece of pixie dust for us, and I don't think we'll ever experience HS that way again!

I think it's great that it works for a lot of people, and maybe this less-than-expected performance is just a perfect storm of several things, and less of an execution issue. I was just giving an anecdote of why it doesn't pull ME personally, with the thought that perhaps there are others like me. Maybe there are, maybe not. Ultimately, I'm not the one buying lightsabers, droids, or other merchandise so they don't really need to care what I think, lol.

I wonder how much better the prequels would be viewed if the initial hate for Jar Jar wouldn't have scared Lucas away from his original plan to have it revealed that Jar Jar and Palpatine were working together to create the Empire. I think Lucas ignoring the public reaction to the first of the prequals would have gave us much more satisfying trilogy of prequel movies as a whole.

Darth Jar Jar was just a fan theory.

I know everyone loves a quick conclusion these days, but I think this is all premature.

well, something is up. Long term I still thin kit will be a great addition to the parks, etc.

But how can one not conclude that *to date* it is underperforming .... total attendance at the domestic parks was down, total revenue at the domestic parks was down, they created a virtual queing system they have use I thnk a total of twice. They are adding more nad more discounts, started a new ticket plan for entering at noon, etc.

There will ALWAYS be purists who are certain that "Their" version of fandom is the ONLY right one, and anything that doesn't meet it is garbage. It exists in SW, it exists in comic book circles, it exists in gaming and anime fandoms. I don't let those folks sully my own enjoyment of said fandoms, and I think in the LONG game, Disney will come out ahead with SWGE because the purists will eventually get tired of soapboxing about this "egregious error" and find something else to complain about :)

Sorry but, as totally not a SW fan and trying to see both sides, that there quote reads to me that you have a version of fandom that the "purists" are wrong and "your" version of fandom is the ONLY right one. pirate:

I do think you are right about Dorian.

Just to add to the conversation. As a 40+ year old lifelong SW fan and a huge Disney world fan, I’m really excited for the land. BUT we’re not going until March since I wanted to be sure ROTR was open.

But if the land was based on the original trilogy I probably would have been at DL on opening day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter