News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
They kind of miss what I think is the more likely purpose behind the new packaging - reduction of plastic waste. That old packaging was just a lot of plastic, and the new one I find more in line with some of the other steps Disney has taken.
It reduces the weight and the space the item takes up, too. That makes it cheaper to ship and it will take up less self space per item.

Here's a move I like. Everyone's worried about plastic bags and such but I just cannot believe the amount of packaging that everything comes in... after one of my childrens' birthday parties I can fill half of our gigantic 64gal recycling tote just with paper, cardboard and plastic packaging from their gifts they were given. It's unbelievable. The only downside here is what BlogMickey already mentioned, getting scuffs on the product -- which I could see happening whether it's in transport to the store, or from people looking at them and then dropping them on the floor, and so on.
Sadly I think a lot of the packaging (at Disney and elsewhere) has been in response to the amount of theft stores are dealing with. They package things in a way to decrease theft as people open items in the store to make them appear 'used'. My DD has noticed empty packages in our local grocery store that has a toy section, a number of times lately. One day we took it to a staff member who was stocking shelves and she just sadly shook her head and said that she picks up wrappers from stolen goods almost on a daily basis. So sad!

Sadly I think a lot of the packaging (at Disney and elsewhere) has been in response to the amount of theft stores are dealing with. They package things in a way to decrease theft as people open items in the store to make them appear 'used'. My DD has noticed empty packages in our local grocery store that has a toy section, a number of times lately. One day we took it to a staff member who was stocking shelves and she just sadly shook her head and said that she picks up wrappers from stolen goods almost on a daily basis. So sad!
The stories I could tell when it came to my retail days.

When I was working at my alma mater's bookstore in the Union they had 2 fitting rooms. On my first day over in that section with the fitting room I got the lowdown on the normal spots for people to rip off the price tags. Other than what you might think which is the space between the wall and a mirror which other retail places I had worked at with a fitting room also had this problem (which they ended up deciding to use clear sealant to help with that) it was.....the ceiling tiles. No joke people would stand on the bench provided inside the fitting room and lift the ceiliing tile out of the way to stash the tags.

But I will say that I do see the downside to no outer protection of some sort for these magic bands. You may expect some normal wear and tear after you've been wearing them in the parks but you wouldn't want it to get messed up before you had the chance to wear it. Don't get me wrong I'm glad less plastic but I do see the downside on the protection front.

Here's a move I like. Everyone's worried about plastic bags and such but I just cannot believe the amount of packaging that everything comes in... after one of my childrens' birthday parties I can fill half of our gigantic 64gal recycling tote just with paper, cardboard and plastic packaging from their gifts they were given. It's unbelievable. The only downside here is what BlogMickey already mentioned, getting scuffs on the product -- which I could see happening whether it's in transport to the store, or from people looking at them and then dropping them on the floor, and so on.

100% - even just in Disney parks some of those toys have tons of plastic to make the stoy position properly to catch the buyers eye, etc. .... changes like this I think are a big step forward

I like the new presentation a lot, but I would have preferred that it be encased in the plastic. Lots of dirty hands potentially handling before it gets to my wrist - yuk......Also feels like its less secure (ie easier to steal).

I think getting rid of the plastic was a big part of the re-dsign, to use let plastic

I recognize I am like the opposite of a germaphobe, but I don't really see the big deal - I mean, people touch stuff all the time - in stores, be it hats or whatever, and in the parks, sitting on seats on rides, etc.

Can you just wipe it down with some purel if that is a concern?

I think getting rid of the plastic was a big part of the re-dsign, to use let plastic

I recognize I am like the opposite of a germaphobe, but I don't really see the big deal - I mean, people touch stuff all the time - in stores, be it hats or whatever, and in the parks, sitting on seats on rides, etc.

And produce...

I'm shocked people complaining on here don't know the shopping trick of grabbing an item further back on the peg/shelf instead of the front one everyone touches. I usually do this with greeting cards, but it's handy for just about anything where condition matters.

NEWS

new Monorail Spiel for when entering EPCOT

A key line is mentioning rocketing back "to the Big Bang" with the Guardians of the Galaxy

So half of me is now "I want to be in Epcot" so thanks for that :crazy: while the other half of me is like 'whoa lots of construction"

Excited to see, even with a tad bit of concern too (like for Spaceship Earth), the end result but it sure is messy looking for guests now (maybe more noticeable since you see it from above in the monorail).

So half of me is now "I want to be in Epcot" so thanks for that :crazy: while the other half of me is like 'whoa lots of construction"

Excited to see, even with a tad bit of concern too (like for Spaceship Earth), the end result but it sure is messy looking for guests now (maybe more noticeable since you see it from above in the monorail).

I think the actual construction (like dirt and stuff like that) is definitely more extreme since you are up above the ground - but even on the ground there are a ton of construction walls around (at least some of them they have painted fun colors/patterns)

As for the end result - it might not be what *I* would do specifically but I think it overall will be much better than what we have had the past few years - I mean, anything is better than the rotting corpse of Innoventions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter