News Round Up 2020

Pretty much although I can speak a little bit to what's happening with WDI, many are working from home of course and many aren't doing much of anything. Your people like Joe Rohde will always be involved in some of the larger discussions taking place but lower level Imagineers are almost essentially laid off. As in that Blog Mickey article even Buena Vista Construction, the in house construction and maintenance company in WDW is being suspended/laid off essentially.
I've heard the opposite about WDI - from what I can tell, it seems like business as usual in that projects are still currently moving forward. Maybe they're not introducing any new projects, but those in progress are still chugging along. It's also worth noting that the creative side of Imagineering makes up a tiny portion of the entire company. There are far more engineers, programmers, shop hands and more than creatives.

I've heard the opposite about WDI - from what I can tell, it seems like business as usual in that projects are still currently moving forward. Maybe they're not introducing any new projects, but those in progress are still chugging along. It's also worth noting that the creative side of Imagineering makes up a tiny portion of the entire company. There are far more engineers, programmers, shop hands and more than creatives.
Oh of course. There are over 100 disciplines within WDI. I do know at least many are working from home.

Oh of course. There are over 100 disciplines within WDI. I do know at least many are working from home.
For sure. As far as I know, everyone typically in the WDI offices is working from home. Not sure about at the park offices, though.

For sure. As far as I know, everyone typically in the WDI offices is working from home. Not sure about at the park offices, though.
Yeah I am not sure about those either. I would also imagine they are doing what they can from home.

News

Legoland New York will not open this year. Grand opening delayed until 2021.
View attachment 484638

I actually see this as good news. The project just feels so far behind. As soon as a month ago, their updates were empty shell frames of buildings and mountains of dirt. I bought APs but for the past ~4 months didn’t think they had a shot at opening a complete park on time (July 4, 2020). Hopefully this delay will allow the hotel to open with the park. Glad our AP will work for all of 2021.

Yep .. not surprised to see the Star Wars hotel defunded. This may be an excuse to shelve that project alltogether .. with Star Wars not really being the huge hit anymore like it was when they announced this thing, they may just decide that the time to do that is past.
Space 220? Wasn't it almost finished? Was it's delay food/chef related or technical issues?
Epcot? I could see them cutting back on some of the features (to add later) .. like the Moana fountain or the double-decker garden and just make the middle of future world "prettier" without adding in the big features.

I can see them pausing Woody's BBQ IF attendance isn't going to be what it was.

This probably means Stitch's Great Escape is quickly becoming the Wonders of Life pavilion .. that will just be empty for years and years.

The thing is .. I can just see A LOT things just not opening for a while to save money in the short term.

I mean we could see many attractions just not running, many regular restaurants just not opening .. especially IF the crowds are going to be super super light with everyone afraid to fly, travel or be within 6 feet of any other living soul.

They were already closing Muppetvision early and Pizzarizzos being seasonal .. I could see them just shutting down the whole Muppets Courtyard to save operational expenses on an area of the park that was low attendance to begin with.

I could see things like Planetwatch going seasonal or just shutting down for a while.

I could see huge chunks of Fantasyland closing down (like Princess Fairytale Hall) while they divert resources to extra "cleaning" of attractions. I mean .. will high touch attractions (like the Teacups or Carousel) even be turned on as they are afraid of the bad perception that would give of spreading viruses? Maybe the less popular (and more expensive) restaurants won't open (like Skipper Canteen) .. etc. etc. etc.

State of the virus aside, It just may not even be worth going to WDW in June (or July/August) if the place will be a former shell of itself unless they give huge (bigger than they are now) discounts/incentives to do so. I mean like $X day gift card.
(or .. if the attendance is going to be super low .. that being there at that low attendance is worth the "risk").

i thought the hotel was really far along and was opening later this year or early next year. I’m shocked to see it defunded. I know it was small but the large price tag on the rooms would make Disney a LOT of cash and with a low number of CMs working it seemingly. I question this decision. It won’t be hard for them to fill the small number of rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter