News Round Up 2020

Honestly, the absolute best thing that could come out of this pandemic mess is either a new type of cast member, or a new attitude for cast members, allowing them to put some muscle towards guests behaving badly in general (and not just those not following social distancing guidelines).

Many poorly behaved guests have been given far too much latitude over the past many years, which devalues the experience for the rest of us.
That and a focus on better cleanliness and customer service (not just at Disney) could be good things that come out of this. I mean .. going to Costco where they have a cart wiped down and handing it to you as you walk in? That's awesome. Even after this virus is gone .. keep that up. That is friendly and keeps the traffic flowing well. (and will help protect from the normal flu and other viruses).

I just don't see a lot of companies investing in employees that do those sort of jobs in the long term. Too many companies try and get by with the most minimal of employees (like a subway or taco bell), but we all know the best service we get are places that have employees doing those "extra" tasks to keep a place look clean and friendly (like Chick Fil-A and WDW).

Honestly, the absolute best thing that could come out of this pandemic mess is either a new type of cast member, or a new attitude for cast members, allowing them to put some muscle towards guests behaving badly in general (and not just those not following social distancing guidelines).

Many poorly behaved guests have been given far too much latitude over the past many years, which devalues the experience for the rest of us.
Security is more equipped to handle these things. Empowerment does not mean throw caution to the wind though. There should always be a procedure involved. CMs may feel that they should call out rule breakers more (especially the visible nature of a mask) but security should immediately be called if there's a feeling of disobediance and it should be handled quickly and yet respectfully.

This isn't new either. Employees in retail, to name an example, are often told to not get involved with suspected or overt shoplifting has or is occuring but rather loss prevention who takes over that task.

I agree on the latitude but I actually place that blame on Disney not because they haven't empowered their CMs enough to speak up but how they handle guest recovery when they throw FPs violator's way, when they selectively enforce this but not that (you need consistency really). Disney has in the past opted for the path of least resistence and in part that's understandable. But if you're going to enforce the mask rules you need to not have the CMs take the brunt of that, they need to be able to move on with their main jobs.

NEWS

"Disney is taking the reopening of Disney Springs extremely seriously, and will be creating a new team that will engage with guests who either have questions about the safety policy, or are simply not following it."

If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The Social Distancing Monitoring Team.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/new-...o-monitor-social-distancing-at-disney-springs
I love it when a plan comes together!

Security is more equipped to handle these things. Empowerment does not mean throw caution to the wind though. There should always be a procedure involved. CMs may feel that they should call out rule breakers more (especially the visible nature of a mask) but security should immediately be called if there's a feeling of disobediance and it should be handled quickly and yet respectfully.

This isn't new either. Employees in retail, to name an example, are often told to not get involved with suspected or overt shoplifting has or is occuring but rather loss prevention who takes over that task.

I agree on the latitude but I actually place that blame on Disney not because they haven't empowered their CMs enough to speak up but how they handle guest recovery when they throw FPs violator's way, when they selectively enforce this but not that (you need consistency really). Disney has in the past opted for the path of least resistence and in part that's understandable. But if you're going to enforce the mask rules you need to not have the CMs take the brunt of that, they need to be able to move on with their main jobs.

You're speaking to a point I was sort of obliquely making - there should be some sort of behavior enforcement team that operates between traditional CMs and security. A group that is specifically tasked with enforcing minimum norms. If things escalate beyond their interventional duties then security gets called in.

You're speaking to a point I was sort of obliquely making - there should be some sort of behavior enforcement team that operates between traditional CMs and security. A group that is specifically tasked with enforcing minimum norms. If things escalate beyond their interventional duties then security gets called in.
Your comments kept referring to CMs I just felt I needed to make that clarification is all :)

I have a strong suspicion any "new" type of cast member will be more Colonel Sanders - esq than any sort of henchmen you might be looking over your shoulder for in the parking lot (after removing your mask in the park) :)
Though I suppose they would be obligated to call security for a particularly pesky guest.

Did anyone else think of the Brute Squad in Princess Bride, or was that just me?

Did anyone else think of the Brute Squad in Princess Bride, or was that just me?
Haha, your comment made me think of a Simpsons episode. There's a scene where Mr. Burns sends some goons to the Simpsons home, when they ring the doorbell and Homer asks who it is they say "Goons." "Who?" "Hired goons."

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the employees will do their own temperature check at home.

I think this will be fairly standard for this type of employee. It's easier for them to manage shift coverage if someone calls in advance saying "I have a temp and can't come in" instead of checking them at the workplace and then trying to cover.

I think it was moderna

Woot! DH has worked at Moderna for almost 6 years so I love to see them all over the news for their hard work. :-)

I think this will be fairly standard for this type of employee. It's easier for them to manage shift coverage if someone calls in advance saying "I have a temp and can't come in" instead of checking them at the workplace and then trying to cover

My work we have to check before we leave home and then are checked again when we get to work. I'm sure other places are doing the same. It's so we don't go in if we have a fever but then they know we don't. Part of it has to do with state guidelines for our industry and most of our office people are still working from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter