Newsies' Itsy-Bitsy, Teeny-Weeny, Minnie-Polka-Dot March Trippie: March 6-13 2021 *JULY PTR UPDATE 7/4*

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
Hello again, everyone! I am so excited to post about my latest trip and I can't wait to catch up with you all.

enhance

For anyone who I haven't met yet: my name is Kaitlyn, I have been traveling to WDW with my family since 2010 and writing about it here on the DISboards since 2014. I am a 23 year old from New Jersey who has completed two Disney College Program internships, the latest being Spring Advantage 2020, which is kind of where I left off here on the Boards.

At the time, I had just graduated college. I was down there for my dream role, Character Attendant, and ready to start my new life as an adult down in Florida. A year ago to this very date, all of my friends and I had our lives flipped upside down when they announced the closure of the College Program. I was very lucky to hitch a ride home with a friend who had been visiting for the week, and once I got back to New Jersey, I started my 7th trip report, which was about the week before the parks closed: my family surprised me with a week-long visit at POP Century, where I was able to spend some time exploring Galaxy's Edge and Flower & Garden with them. This TR, sadly, was never completed-- the more I thought about Disney, the more sad I became, so I pushed DISboards to the side for a while.

In the interim between then and now, a lot has happened in my life. I found Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I rediscovered Big Time Rush with my friends. More importantly, I learned how to drive again and by the end of 2020, I had purchased my first car:

enhance

Most importantly, I got my first full-time "big girl" job, and I have been absolutely loving it so far. Back in October, I started temp work as a customer service agent for a bed and bath company that's based here in central NJ. I was offered a full-time position at the end of the holiday season, and I was more than happy to join my team full time. My coworkers are great, I absolutely love our company, and for the first time ever, I have a clear idea of what my goals are and where I want to go from here.

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, my family has avoided getting sick and we are very grateful for the victories that we have all shared since the world turned upside down last year. My mother, Susan, earned a promotion at work for all of the hard work she does. My dad, Tom, underwent a series of lifestyle changes in the past few months, which included a surgical procedure back in January to help get his weight under control. My younger sister, Grace, is a sophomore in college who joined a sorority and is now on their E-Board-- just like her big sister used to be! :thumbsup2

I know that this lengthy life update is not what you all are here for, but the TLDR is that in the past 9 or so months since I ghosted the boards, we have all been happy and healthy. Even though COVID-19 has brought many challenges into our lives, we have had a lot to celebrate in the recent past, and there's only one way my family knows how to celebrate anything...

enhance

You guessed it: we Spring Break-ed it up at our happy place. Our Annual Passes had been extended until August, and even though we decided to save our DVC points for a later trip, we booked a cash stay at POP Century for the week. We were there from March 6-13, double-masking it up at all four parks, Disney Springs, and even some restaurants outside of the Disney Bubble.

Spoiler alert... we had an absolutely phenomenal week. It could not have gone any better, and I am here to put any up-and-coming Spring Break travelers minds to ease. That 35% park capacity cap is making "sold out" days look like pre-pandemic level-5 crowds, dramatic photos of long lines are nothing to fear-- everything seemed to run smoother during this COVID-19 trip than it did before COVID-19 impacted park operations. We did everything with time to spare. We did everything we wanted to do and more, absolutely crushed our goals for each day. Buses, particularly to POP, are running on an insanely tight schedule-- we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus, even at Magic Kingdom park close or in that crazy early-morning line to Magic from the resort. Disney is doing everything they can to make things safe and efficient, and we really enjoyed ourselves.

I can't say everything felt 100% the same: after all, waving to Mickey from the train station simply doesn't replicate the feeling of a hug from the main mouse. Many stores and restaurants are closed, and almost all restaurants that are open are operating on a modified menu. And above all, there is still an inherent risk of COVID-19 exposure at Walt Disney World Resort, so you do need to be careful, adhere by guidelines, and be careful around those who do not adhere by the guidelines... which, sadly, we ran into quite a few this trip :sad2:

The great news is that I will go into detail about all of the fabulous and not-so-fabulous parts of this spring break trip in this here TR! Now, I do need to warn you: this will be a more condensed TR than I usually write. My phone camera has been broken for a while, and I opted to just relax and enjoy things this trip, so I don't have a lot of photos and didn't take a lot of notes. My plan is to write a little bit about how we "planned this trip," share the photos I have, and talk about all of things I think you need to know before heading down to Disney while the COVID-19 guidelines are in place.

I will talk in great length about...

- Driving to WDW from NJ (and back!)
- COVID-19 impacting park operations
- POP Century Resort "at capacity"
- Touring Galaxy's Edge on a "sold out" DHS day
- All of these huge lines at Disney and what they actually mean
- The current situation at Disney Springs
- My favorite Flower & Garden dishes
- Going way over budget on souvenirs and blaming it on my job
- Visiting a few restaurants outside of Disney

So if any of that sounds interesting to you, and if you're still with me, I'll post my first update soon! :flower:

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

3/05:
Planning & Travel Day
3/06: Check-In/Disney Springs
3/07: Magic Kingdom
3/08: Epcot
3/09: Hollywood Studios
3/10: Disney Springs/Magic Kingdom
3/11: Disney's Animal Kingdom
3/12: Epcot/Magic Kingdom
3/13-3/14: Drive Home/Conclusion

JULY MINI PTR UPDATES:
05/16:
Update I
07/04: Update II

Last edited:

Excited to hear about your trip!

So glad you're here!! Welcome aboard and thanks for checking in!!

Cant wait to hear all about it!

Thank you so much for checking in-- welcome aboard!!

Can't wait!

So glad to have you here!! Welcome aboard!

I am so glad you are back on the boards.

:hug: Thanks for checking in, pal! I am so happy to be back and glad to have you here with me!

Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Thank you so much!! Welcome aboard!

I've read a lot of your other trip reports, although I can't recall if I've commented. I'm glad to see you had a great trip and that you're posting again.

Glad to see you back here - bonus with a new TR. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

Joining in! Can't wait to read more!

Welcome aboard!! Thank you for joining :)

Following along :)

Welcome aboard!!

Following! We were in the parks March 2-6 so interested to hear your take on things.

Welcome aboard!! Let me know how things worked for your trip, too!

Following along!

Welcome aboard!!

Looking forward to your report!

Thanks a lot-- welcome aboard!!

I'm so glad you're back. I always enjoy reading your trip reports.

:hug: Thanks for checking in, GW! Welcome aboard!!

Following along. I always enjoy your reports.

Thank you so much!!! Welcome aboard!!

Glad to see you back here - bonus with a new TR. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

:hug: Thank you so much, Dlo! Welcome aboard!

Reactions: DLo
3/05: Planning & Travel Day
Boring update alert! I'll try to add gifs to ~*~spice~*~ things up.

200.gif

I didn't do a PTR for this trip, so I just want to briefly touch on the minimal amount of planning that went into this trip.

Before the world turned upside down, our next trip was scheduled for August 2020. Technically, travel restrictions were lifted between Florida and NJ by this point, so we could have made it if we desperately wanted to-- but we did not feel safe enough to travel to WDW yet, so we cancelled and banked our points. I can't remember when mom decided to book this trip, but we did use our normal TA for the week. Mom called the AP hotline back in June or July about getting our Annual Passes extended, which they graciously extended to August 2021 for us, which means we got covered for both this trip and our scheduled July trip. Mom was desperate to make this trip happen, and both her and dad really needed a Disney trip.

I was hesitant to visit WDW throughout this entire ordeal: by the time we had cancelled our August trip, I was confident that I wouldn't feel safe enough to return to WDW until we had a vaccine and I had been vaccinated. Which, at the time-- seemed like at least a two-year timespan.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Despite my feelings toward this pandemic, I made park reservations almost as soon as the trip had been booked, and booked a few restaurants for us when our 60-day window opened up. I started with 6 dining reservations (which ultimately dwindled into 4). This was about the full extent of my planning. I did not do five minutes of research on how COVID-19 was effecting park operations. I was busy with my new job, and completely disinterested with the idea of going to Disney with no motivation to write about it. Those who know me know that this is extremely far from the ordinary for me. There are lengthy PTRs. There are tentative plans. There are pre-ADR and FP+ updates. There are post-ADR and FP+ updates. I don't move a lunch ADR up 15 minutes without announcing it on these boards. I don't pass a dog by the sidewalk without posting a "life update."

giphy.gif

It just wasn't happening this time around. I wasn't writing anything for most of this quarantine, and before the pandemic hit I was writing like there was no tomorrow. If I wasn't updating my blog, I was writing a PTR or a TR DISboards. My years were basically split into two seasons: PTR season from Jan-July, and TR season from July-December. So when we were in the full throes of the pandemic and I realized I hadn't updated my TR in three months, it was like the scene where Austin Powers is like "I lost my mojo!!!"

Now that we are post-COVID Disney Trip, I think I'm going to slowly start returning to the way I was. This trip was essentially a shot-in-the-arm of pixie dust for me. Maybe it's because my expectations were so little, but returning to Disney made me feel very emotionally full where I expected to feel empty. Having such a pleasant vacation was likely what I needed to continue writing about my travels.

I digress! Anyway: we made got our APs sorted out, we made hotel reservations, and we made park reservations. That is everything that transpired before March 5, 2021, AKA, the day we left.

We drive to WDW from our home in NJ. We always have because my mother does not fly. This is about a 20 hour drive, and we normally start at 1:00 in the morning, drive all day, stop overnight in Kingsland, GA, and arrive at WDW at 9:00 AM a day later. This year, we took a different approach: we started at noon and drove straight through until we arrived at Disney.

We did the normal things that morning: mom and I got our nails and eyebrows done, then we dropped our dog off at the puppy hotel for the week. We got a quick lunch at Chik-fil-a, then left on the I-95 for a 20-hour, uninterrupted road trip.

Long story short: the drive down was a hot mess. The drive down to Disney is often one of my favorite parts of the vacation-- I love the excitement of getting coffee at 1 AM at our 24/hour Dunkin' and laughing with Grace in the backseat, then falling asleep in Georgia and waking up well-rested, ready for a day at Magic Kingdom. This drive was a mess. We hit moderate traffic in the DC area, and then we hit two different cases of stand still traffic in Virginia that night. It was bad. We stopped in North Carolina so that my parents could sleep for an hour. The original plan included being at Disney by 9 AM, so when I woke up at 7:00 and we had just arrived in Georgia, I was ready to cry.

62c76760e00580d79d4f4fb3c023273f.gif

The morning half of the drive actually went by pretty smoothly, all things considered. We didn't hit any more traffic, and we even stopped at the Florida welcome center, which I even have a photo from!

We arrived at Pop Century resort at 12:30, which is where I leave this update! This update honestly seemed kind of negative, and the woes we had in planning and traveling do NOT reflect how amazing the rest of our trip was, so I am going to leave this negative juju in this post and get back to you soon with our first-day-at-Disney fun: Disney Springs and Chef Art Smith's HOMECOMIN' :-)

Now that we are post-COVID Disney Trip, I think I'm going to slowly start returning to the way I was. This trip was essentially a shot-in-the-arm of pixie dust for me. Maybe it's because my expectations were so little, but returning to Disney made me feel very emotionally full where I expected to feel empty. Having such a pleasant vacation was likely what I needed to continue writing about my travels.
Glad your trip was just what you needed. Living through a pandemic is utterly exhausting and overwhelming. It's no wonder you hadn't been feeling yourself. I can't wait for the day that I am able to return to my beloved bubble. :)
We arrived at Pop Century resort at 12:30, which is where I leave this update! This update honestly seemed kind of negative, and the woes we had in planning and traveling do NOT reflect how amazing the rest of our trip was, so I am going to leave this negative juju in this post and get back to you soon with our first-day-at-Disney fun: Disney Springs and Chef Art Smith's HOMECOMIN' :-)
It doesn't come off as negative, rather as realistic. Life has not been easy for any of us. You certainly started the trip off perfectly with Homecomin'! I love it there. And Pop is such a cute resort! :goodvibes

I’ve done the drive from NJ a few times and DC traffic can be brutal. I understand your frustration. Glad you guys made it safe and sound and get to start your vacation. 12:30 isn’t too bad of an arrival time either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter