Nick Cordero has passed away

Unfortunately, younger people will think he's an anomaly. That it usually doesn't get that bad. :sad2:
His case IS an anomaly, at least at this point in the history of the virus.

However, it is important for everyone to understand that anyone can be affected seriously by the virus. Although most younger people don't seem to be affected seriously, it can still kill anyone. I hope his case is getting an honest evaluation of any and all reasons why he was so seriously affected, whether it be other health issues, genetics, the treatments used, etc. It could help save others.

Oh wow. Really? I had not seen the vitamin d thing.

Are you serious? This has been a point of discussion since March, at least. There have been numerous studies about it as it pertained to the cases in Italy. There are currently 3 ongoing studies assessing Vit D supplementation as a potential treatment at this point.

It has been known for a long time that dark skinned people tend to have lower vitamin D levels and that makes them more susceptible to respiratory infections.

A level below 20ng/mL is suspected to be directly linked to severe COVID-19 outcomes.

Are you serious? This has been a point of discussion since March, at least. There have been numerous studies about it as it pertained to the cases in Italy. There are currently 3 ongoing studies assessing Vit D supplementation as a potential treatment at this point.

It has been known for a long time that dark skinned people tend to have lower vitamin D levels and that makes them more susceptible to respiratory infections.

A level below 20ng/mL is suspected to be directly linked to severe COVID-19 outcomes.
Well, I didn’t really look into it. There have been so many theories that I haven’t been keeping up with them. As a social worker, I understood the environmental & social issues that also most likely contribute to the reasons they have been disproportionately affected & attributed it mostly to that.
So can ppl of these descents not take supplements to help their immunity or does it not work that way?

Well, I didn’t really look into it. There have been so many theories that I haven’t been keeping up with them. As a social worker, I understood the environmental & social issues that also most likely contribute to the reasons they have been disproportionately affected & attributed it mostly to that.
So can ppl of these descents not take supplements to help their immunity or does it not work that way?
Yes, they can take supplements if they know they need them. Problem is most people don't know they are deficient, they don't get blood work done to asses their levels which is needed to know how much Vitamin D to supplement.

I was diagnosed with low Vitamin D at 23ng/ml, some Dr's would say this is acceptable because it is above one standard of 20 ng/ml...but my Dr. believes a higher level is needed (and I agree with him), others say 30 ng/ml is limit to determine low Vitamin D. So I take 5000IU supplement which has put me around 55 ng/ml.. they say every 1000IU of Vitamin D supplement will raise your blood level 5 ng/ml, so that is about right. You can take too much Vitamin D, but that doesn't appear to happen until get closer to 100 ng/ml.

Also, if you take Vitamin D supplements you need to also take Vitamin K/K2 supplements. Vitamin D helps calcium absorption, Vitamin K/K2 shuttles that calcium to your bones...otherwise the calcium can attach to you arteries and cause blockage.

Yes, they can take supplements if they know they need them. Problem is most people don't know they are deficient, they don't get blood work done to asses their levels which is needed to know how much Vitamin D to supplement.

I was diagnosed with low Vitamin D at 23ng/ml, some Dr's would say this is acceptable because it is above one standard of 20 ng/ml...but my Dr. believes a higher level is needed (and I agree with him), others say 30 ng/ml is limit to determine low Vitamin D. So I take 5000IU supplement which has put me around 55 ng/ml.. they say every 1000IU of Vitamin D supplement will raise your blood level 5 ng/ml, so that is about right. You can take too much Vitamin D, but that doesn't appear to happen until get closer to 100 ng/ml.

Also, if you take Vitamin D supplements you need to also take Vitamin K/K2 supplements. Vitamin D helps calcium absorption, Vitamin K/K2 shuttles that calcium to your bones...otherwise the calcium can attach to you arteries and cause blockage.

You should probably stop the Vitamin K supplements right now, though. Vit K can increase your blood's tendency to clot and Covid19 is associated with blood clot formation. You don't want to add to that tendency.

I have never taken supplemental Vitamin K and was able to increase my D level just by taking a 2000IU supplement daily for 6 months. I now take 1000IU daily to maintain my level around 35. My doctor considers under 30 to be worthy of supplementation.

However, it is important for everyone to understand that anyone can be affected seriously by the virus. Although most younger people don't seem to be affected seriously, it can still kill anyone.

This is precisely the fact I meant. Younger people will miss this point. Some of the college kids are having COVID parties now, where they gather with someone who has been tested and knows they have it. Then everyone puts money into a pool and gets a ticket. The first one to get COVID wins all the money in the pool. They think they all will survive with no lasting problems. :sad2:

Last edited:
This is truly heartbreaking. I believe he was hospitalized in late March, fairly early on for our outbreak. I feel like if he had gotten this virus now, he would have had a much better chance at survival since our medical heroes have learned so much in the three months that followed, in particular about the clotting phenomenon that happens to some patients. What a tragedy.

I totally believe the correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and Covid.

One of the things the doctors discovered during my son's battle with a "mystery viral infection" was that he was severely deficient in Vitamin D. He's been on supplements ever since.

I'm also deficient and would get sick every month before they figured out I needed Vitamin D. We also have the hispanic link that was mentioned upthread.

My heart breaks for Nick Cordero's family, especially his sweet baby boy. I had been hoping and praying he would pull through.

I realized recently that we saw him on Broadway in Bullets over Broadway. He was the best part of that show.

You should probably stop the Vitamin K supplements right now, though. Vit K can increase your blood's tendency to clot and Covid19 is associated with blood clot formation. You don't want to add to that tendency.

I have never taken supplemental Vitamin K and was able to increase my D level just by taking a 2000IU supplement daily for 6 months. I now take 1000IU daily to maintain my level around 35. My doctor considers under 30 to be worthy of supplementation.

I'll risk the clotting vs hardened/clogged arteries... I've read quite a few issues about arteries and Vitamin D without Vitamin K2. In theory, if don't get severe Covid symptoms then clotting issue is not as worrisome. Neither is proven medical advice, but i'm throwing in with taking the K2....Vitamin K1 seems to be more associated with the blood clotting vs K2 having other functions also. Plus K2 is harder to get in food unless eat a lot of fermented food and organ meats, which I don't, so don't think at risk of over supplementing.

My functional med practitioner says d3 must be taken with k2. Just checked my multivitamin and it has k2 and d3 and all the nutrients recommended to help recover from Covid and hopefully prevent it.

My vitamins are specially formulated by trusted doctors.

This is so sad. I didn’t know who he was until I started reading about him in April. Very sad to see he passed after fighting so hard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter