Nikon D50

These guys are about as sharp as a bag full of wet mice, let's pour gas on a hot melted camera.

So they've proven that you can destroy a camera with a torch. What was the point? :confused3

I've currently got a Nikon D50 with a Tamron AF 28-300MM F/3.5-6.3 XR lens. While I'd kinda like to upgrade the whole system, I'm pretty happy with the camera but I think I'd like another lens for some portraits of the kids or better on ride photos ( I guess a lower f number). Any opinions on what I should be looking at?

I've currently got a Nikon D50 with a Tamron AF 28-300MM F/3.5-6.3 XR lens. While I'd kinda like to upgrade the whole system, I'm pretty happy with the camera but I think I'd like another lens for some portraits of the kids or better on ride photos ( I guess a lower f number). Any opinions on what I should be looking at?

When I used a D50 (it's still my back up), it and the 50mm f/1.8 made a great team.
I'd consider the Sigma 30mm also.

I know that the camera is now discontinued and its only a 6 megapixel but to be honest neither of this really concern me I have never been one for the newest or highest megapixel people. My questions are will this camera be able to use the current batch of Nikon and other manufactures lens or is it limited to a specific line of lens it can use? For people that have it or have used it tell me the plus and minuses to the camera if you can. Again I am not looking for the latest and greatest thing out there but a reliable camera that will do what i ask it to do but interested in maybe dabbling in the Nikon sea for a bit. The camera i am looking at has less than 5000 shutter actuations according to photome as well so would assume that it has some life left in it as well correct?

The D50 was my first Nikon and I still have it although it has not been out of the bag since I got the D300. The D50 is a very capable camera - good high ISO, has in-body screw drive so it will AF with older screwdriver *and* AF-S lenses. In this respect, it is superior to some of the newer models (D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D5000). If it is in good shape and you feel the price is reasonable for a camera that was discontinued 3+ years ago, it should fill the bill.

~Y

It is comparable to the *ist or K110D line of Pentaxes - same sensor, ISO performance, etc. Note that it cannot use SDHC cards, so you'll have to dust off the ol' 2gb and smaller cards. :teeth:

It does have the in-body focus motor, unlike the D40 and newer "cheapies", so it can focus the old lenses within in-lens motors... but I don't think (a Nikonian could say for sure) that it can meter with the older AI lenses - kind of like "M" lenses in the Pentax world.

As far as lenses... go here.
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

My father in law go this Nikon D50 about a month after I got my Rebel XT in 2005. He is still very happy with it because it still meets his needs. And that's the real question, does it meet your needs? And that's something that no one else can really tell you.

Lenses are no problem as the others have said. I used both AF and AF-S lenses on my D50.

As for shutter life. I believe it is rated to 40,000 or 50,000 shutter clicks. I have almost 17,000 on mine.

In just under 5 years I have less than 30,000 between my D50 and D300. I take ALOT of pictures too. (3,000 on one Disney trip). Unless you go crazy with picture taking, you should be good for quite a few years. Though, with any camera there is no guarantee how long the shutter will last.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter